SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#205798 - 04/12/02 01:47 PM More recording tips for SD1 users
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello SD1 users ,

I wanted to share some other ideas I have implemented with utilizing the SD1 . I just used the great drum loop from the Flamenca pattern to record additional percussion loops on a separate track .

Since arranger keyboards have key start , I can instantly match the tempo's and start the drum loop where I want in the recording .
IT SOUNDS INCREDIBLE ! Has anyone else listened to that drum loop sample closely ?

It's incredible ! The break , fillin #1 is as authenic as you can get !
Flamenca style is one of my favorites . I have used drum1 and drum 2 to remix with 8 beats , Very cool !

Here's a short story about the Flamenca style . While at NAMM ...Sandro , AJ and myself went to the Sheraton or Hyatt to here some entertainment . There was a Mexican band playing . The song they were playing sounded just like the Flamenca style heard on the SD1 . At a certain moment ...We all looked at each other and said ....AHHH FLAMENCA ! Only arranger keyboard people would think this was funny ! dano

Ps. I have recently sent .wav files to a few SD1 users on this board . Does anyone wish to comment about .wav and using it with the SD1 ?

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 04-14-2002).]

#205799 - 04/16/02 07:16 AM Re: More recording tips for SD1 users
DanO1 Offline

I guess all the SD1 users are to busy .

dano

#205800 - 04/16/02 12:43 PM Re: More recording tips for SD1 users
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi DanO
Sorry I don't own a SD1! But it's kind of flustrating when you can't get an answer!!
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

#205801 - 04/16/02 01:16 PM Re: More recording tips for SD1 users
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
DanO, send me one and if I like it as much as I think, I'll try to think of a way to pay for it.
DonM

#205802 - 04/16/02 01:47 PM Re: More recording tips for SD1 users
DanO1 Offline

Don M ,
I will have MP3's available very soon !
People can listen for themselves what I am excited about ! The SD1 just keeps getting better !

dano

#205803 - 04/16/02 06:08 PM Re: More recording tips for SD1 users
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
DanO...Sorry for my lack of attention...I'm to busy playing my SD1 ...I have loaded up the SD1 with the aforementioned wav files.. it is easy, fast and they all sound exceptional!!!!
I know I am prejudiced but I can't help it! This KB sounds great!

#205804 - 04/16/02 09:21 PM Re: More recording tips for SD1 users
don1324 Offline

Loc: Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA
DanO:
You're right on. The live drums are fantastic, but I use them more in my sequences as a second drum track.
Unlike most of you guys, my gigs are 2/3 sequences and 1/3 live patterns- mostly "hip Society" (standards, jazz and big band, with latins and light rock thrown in).
I'm reconfiguring my old sequences from my Korg i-2 to the SD1, on a MAC computer in MOTU Digital Performer. I save them as SMF and copy them to the SD1.
I thought I wrote good drum tracks, until I heard the SD!. Now I'm rewriting them all.

I record the various drum patterns, save them as SMF and copy them to my MAC.
I then add an additional "live drum" track, to either add to the existing drum track, or replace part or all of it. For example, the Jazz 1 cymbals replace the ride cymbal (Eb2) of the drum kit. Or , as in your example, the bongoes from Flemenca over a latin or 8-beat. Or, replace an existing drum fill in the arrangement.
The results sound twice as good as they did on the i-2. That coming not only from me, but the other musicians and the audiences,
Once I redo all my existing song list, I'll be ready to work with more .WAV files and new patterns. Until then, there's only 18 hours in a day (or that what it feels like, anyway).

#205805 - 04/17/02 12:41 PM Re: More recording tips for SD1 users
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Hi Dano
At this time, I really haven't got into the SD-1 deep enough to know what you’re talking about. Yes, I got my SD1 last September and thanks to the help I've got from this site I can now save to block registration, single registration, power on setup-FS13 setup and basic vocalizer use. The learning curve was a little long. This 'process', I'm sure could have been less painful-If someone like yourself produced a video taking a new SD-1 owner through the basic setup, giving examples of a few options-then getting into some of the more challenging things you can do with this board. The owner's manual could also be improved. I find the small font, lack of examples for basic setups, and the lack of an index a real hindrance. It really seems like half of the stuff I've learned was from just playing around with it. Yes, most of it is probably in the owner's manual-but you got to admit-its pretty dry reading. All that said-I really am enjoying playing the SD-1.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online