SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#205581 - 10/05/02 06:12 PM PSR2000 questions????
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Hope somebody can help. I'm gearing up for my first gig on the 2K rather than my Technics.

I prefer to play the piano one octave lower. This is much more pleasing than the other way. I've set it into Registration Memory and have the other settings on regular. This works fine unless I go from the piano setting to some other setting like ots or user or panel voices, then those voices are at the last octave setting. Is there a way around this? It seems I can not store octave settings in OTS. Is this correct? I thought maybe I'd just leave everything set at -1 but sometimes the ranges don't work out on other instruments.

Also, on the Registration Memory if I saved a setting with harmony it stays on when I go to a different voice, even if it's another registration memory sound. Is there a way around this?

From what I understand the only way to save an OTS is in the user section or on a floppy? If this is the case it seems storing OTS settings on a disc with song titles instead of style names would be alot better than using the Music Finder??

Does this keyboard not save pedal settings with user, ots, or mem. reg? I thought it would. Like the Lowrey organs I am used to (where they are factory set) so the piano voice would automatically have sustain, while a horn or guitar would have glide etc. I take it from what I have gathered you set it with one setting and it stays that way until you turn off the keyboard?

In the Registration Memory I see you can save names to a file of 8 registrations (correct language??), but I have not figured out how to have this voice list show in the screen after it is saved unless I press the edit button. Is this the only way I can see what voices are in these buttons while playing?

In saving styles/songs to a disc I have not yet figured out how to save the speed I want. Is this possible?

Hope someone can fill me in.

And of course, I suppose the features I am asking about are in the Tyros.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#205582 - 10/05/02 09:06 PM Re: PSR2000 questions????
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Scott L,

Greetings from the 'other' Scott on the board.

You're correct. Octave settings are not supported in OTS. The parameters which are supported by OTS are far fewer than supported by Registration Memory. Page 25 - 30 of the PSR2000 Data List manual lists exactly which parameters are supported by OTS & Reg Memory.

I'm not sure what you are asking regarding the vocal harmony setting staying on in Registration Memory. On my 2000, in Reg Memory, I'm able to save both the vocal harmony status (on/off) as well as the specific harmony type and settings. To insure that the Vocal Harmony parameters are saved in Reg Memory, make sure that the 'Mic Settings' checkbox is checked in Registration the Memory 'Contents' Window. The vocal harmony status & type should remain until you manually change them or if you select another Registration Memoroy button with different settings. Vocal harmonizer settings and status are NOT supported by OTS.

On the PSR2000, the OTS settings are stored in the actual style. You can store the edited style (with OTS settings) either to the USER area OR to floppy. In fact, for song specific customized styles (with custom OTS), I too store them on floppy and name the style the specific song's name. For my majority of songs (500+) which utilize the PSR2000's internal styles & associated OTS settings, I use the MusicFinder, a indispensable tool for quickly searching & locating a specific songs or song types on the fly. yet I wish Yamaha would enhance it by including a field to store the song's 'key transpose' setting and specific 'intro/ending' variation as well.

My 2000 supports pedal 'settings' in Registration Memory. Though the PSR2000 says it also supports pedal 'settings' in OTS (pedal 2 only), I am not able to store pedal 'settings' at all in OTS. I think it is a bug which may have been corrected in a later OS, but I'm not sure. The settings stay until you change it manually or change to another Memory Reg which contains another setting.

The speed (tempo) of a style is automatically saved with the style. BTW, just in case you didn't know, to re-save an edited style, you MUST go to: Digital Recording> Style Creator>Assembly, and then select SAVE 'J button' to actually re-save a style. You cannot actually re-save a style in the USER MEMORY Style Window itself, even though you may have thought you had. I remember the inital frustration & confusion I had over this when I first purchased my KB. No matter what kind of editing changes you make to a style (EQ, balance, Sound assignments, etc), you MUST save it via the Style Creator Window Page outlined above.

I hope this helps you out in some way. Good luck on your first gig with the PSR2000. I think you're going to find it a great lightweight but powerful gigging board.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#205583 - 10/06/02 10:37 AM Re: PSR2000 questions????
Scott Langholff Offline

Hello Scott Yee

As always I am glad to read your posts. They are always intersting and informative. Your answers are also "user friendly", it's GREAT to get such good info in a way I can digest. As you may remember I sell and teach on Lowrey organs. These are designed for seniors to enjoy as a hobby, and they are incredibly user friendly. They would have to be because although some of my customers and students are familiar with computer type things most are not. If you ever get a chance to see a Lowrey Royale or Rhapsody I think as far as ease of operation with all the elements we like to use are there. I keep hoping these keyboard companies will see one of these instruments and incorporate it into there stuff. In the mean time, I think you can understand there are an incredible amount of things to learn on the PSR2000, and I easily get miffed because I don't get it right away, or maybe don't even know everything I need to know to accomplish what I want.

Having said that, regarding the Registration Memory, I was referring to using and storing panel voices into the buttons 1-8, saving harmony on some and some saved as solo, or one note settings. Once I play a Reg. Mem. button with harmony on, the harmony stays on when I switch to another Reg.Mem. button that is set up as a solo, or one note setting. This also happens when I go from this harmony setting to an OTS, user, or panel voice setting. On the Lowereys the Reg Mem buttons save whatever harmony setting you save and when you go to another Reg Mem button that is set as a solo one note setting it plays what you program, the harmony does not carry over to this change of setting. I am hoping the 2K does the same. This is confusing me quite a bit right now. So far it seems if I play a Reg Mem button saved with harmony I will need to remember to turn off the silver harmony button on the top right of the keyboard before I can play a differnt solo setting. I hope not , but this is as much as I can figure right now.

Also, since I am at work right now and don't have access to my 2K to test things out, I presume your answer with the extra "save" procedure will allow me to save the speed on disk with OTS etc.?

The other thing still puzzling me is how to save settings in Reg Mem and have the sounds show up in the window so I don't have to memorize whats where.

Again, Scott , thanx for helping me prepare for the gig with time running out.

I feel I need to do it this way so I don't have those suprizes of the OTS factory settings which while some are great some I just don't want to use.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#205584 - 10/06/02 11:56 AM Re: PSR2000 questions????
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
If you ever get a chance to see a Lowrey Royale or Rhapsody I think as far as ease of operation with all the elements we like to use are there. I keep hoping these keyboard companies will see one of these instruments and incorporate it into there stuff.

My friend, Chris Mesnickow, was both a regional sales mgr & official Lowrey performance artist. A few years back, he submitted (and helped institute) my suggestion of a 'user customizable' chord voicing recognition and lo and behold, a couple of years back, Lowrey instituted this feature in their top of the line organ, sorry, but forgot the exact model name. I keep hoping that the arranger keyboard manufacters will follow suit and add this feature as well.

Quote:
Having said that, regarding the Registration Memory, I was referring to using and storing panel voices into the buttons 1-8, saving harmony on some and some saved as solo, or one note settings.

Both the harmony on/off status as well as the specific harmony type are supported (and can be saved) in both OTS and Registration Memory (1-8). I frequently do store different harmony settings in different OTS or Reg Memory buttons. Press the 2000's Memory button which takes you to the Reg Memory: 'Memory Contents' Window and make sure that the 'Harmony' box is checked.

Quote:
I presume your answer with the extra "save" procedure will allow me to save the speed on disk with OTS etc.?

RIGHT. All Style parameters (including the speed (tempo)) can only really be saved by going into the Style Creator Window FIRST and then re-saving the style.

Quote:
The other thing still puzzling me is how to save settings in Reg Mem and have the sounds show up in the window so I don't have to memorize whats where.

Good Question, with a pretty SIMPLE answer You can name each individual Reg Memory Button and then call up a viewable list of all the 8 reg memorys names:

1) Press J button (lower right of LCD display)
2) Make sure the approp Reg Memory Bank is selected
3) Press the upper portion of the the #8 button (directly below the right corner of LCD disply)

4) This takes you to the Registration Edit Window where you can: name/edit/view all 8 Registrations. If you want the sounds to show up here, just give each indidual reg the name of the sound you want to remember it by.

I frequently leave the Registration Edit Window OPEN while performing songs which include a lot of regs or reg banks. Scott, I assume you know that the PSR2000 reg feature also supports multiple registration banks per song too, right? To do this, you need to remember to set the Registration Sequence to "next bank'. For songs which include more than 1 reg bank (9 individual regs +), I name them all the same name followed by 1,2,3, etc) & store these in their own sub folder (on floppy). Theoretically you can use an unlimited number of reg banks for a single song, limited only by available memory.

Hope you first gig with the 2K goes (or went) well.

#205585 - 10/06/02 12:30 PM Re: PSR2000 questions????
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Scott Y

I worked with Chris several times when he came to our area for promos. Nice guy. You should have heard how good he sounded doing a concert for our senior customers, using one finger in either hand and really milking the harmonies etc. He has one of the best dry senses of humor I ever heard.

Again Scott I have to thank you for sharing your knowledge in an understandable manner.

I suspect with my backround I will come up with some new ideas and settings etc. that others have not tried as I go along here. I plan to share this info with those that this info would apply to. I hope I can do it as clearly understandable as you.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#205586 - 10/06/02 12:54 PM Re: PSR2000 questions????
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
I worked with Chris several times when he came to our area for promos. Nice guy.

Chris and I are good buddies from way back. And yes, he definitely has a terrific dry sense of humor too.

Scott, Look forward to hearing any new arranger kb ideas you might have to share.

#205587 - 10/08/02 11:01 AM Re: PSR2000 questions????
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Quote:
Hello

I prefer to play the piano one octave lower. ... It seems I can not store octave settings in OTS. Is this correct?

Scott Langholff

Yes, you can store the Octave setting in OTS, but it is not done by simply switching the Octave setting on the keyboard. Here's a simple example that will show how it is done.
1. Copy the GrandPiano (I'll use this as an example voice), from the PRESET area to the USER area.
2. Use the Sound Creator to edit that GrandPiano voice. You'll see that the octave setting for the Main/Layer voice is one of the parameters. Change that to be -2 to move it down to octaves. Save this "modified" GrandPiano to the User area and give it a new name: GrandPiano-2 will do.
3. Edit the octave setting again and make it -1; save that voice to user memory as GrandPiano-1.
4. Try one more edit and set the octave to +1 and save that voice as GrandPiano1. You should now have 4 GrandPiano voices in your USER memory.
5. Now, as an example, store each of those GrandPiano voices into the 4 OTS settings. Select GrandPiano-2 as the MAIN voice; memorize that to OTS1. Select GrandPiano-1 as the MAIN voice; memorize that to OTS2. Put the normal GrandPiano in OTS3, and put GrandPiano1 in OTS4.
6. If you test out these settings, you will see that the GrandPiano voice shifts octaves as you go from OTS1 to OTS4.
7. SAVE the style you are using to floppy.
8. Switch to any other preset style to be sure you have your modified style out of memory. Now load the modified style back in from floppy.
9. If you check the OTS, they will all display as GrandPiano. But when you play them, each will be playinig at the octave you set them at. You do not need to have any of those modified voices saved in USER memory. You can delete all of them; the modified voice has been saved in the style.

Note: simply saving the style will save the OTS with the style. It is only if you Edit the style, that is change volume settings or put new instruments in the accompaniment, that you would have to use the Style Creator to SAVE the new style. If you are only modifying the OTS, you can just save the new style and the modified OTS is saved with it.

This works because Yamaha only saves the changes to the parameters you made in the Sound Creator. When you press that modified OTS, it first loads the preset GrandPiano, with all of its standard parameter settings, then it applies whatever changes to those parameters you made -- in this example, we changed the octave setting. The voice shows up on the screen as the preset voice "GrandPiano" but it plays as your modified voice.

Implications: If you modify a voice to suit your tastes, you do not have to keep it forever in the USER memory area; you can simply save it in the style.

If you do modify a voice and put it in the USER area, you can use it from there to put it in the OTS for a lot of styles. Your new voice is then available in all those styles.

Note: I would expect that this "technique" applies equally well to the CVP20x series and to the TYROS.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online