SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#204641 - 11/20/02 07:59 AM How do you use registrations?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hello Arrangereers,

My Yamaha Pro has 8 registration buttons, and their are 64 banks for each of the 8 buttons. That means I have 512 registrations that I can set up.

To be honest, I make very poor use of this geat feature. I probably have less than 25 registrations set up, and I can't remember which one is which. So, I have to step through them from time to time just to remember which is which.

OK, I know that's really sloppy on my part. I'm sure most of you have make much better use of them, and that's what I want to know about. How are you using your registrations and how do you set them up?

I know that Scottyee does some special stuff with his. DonM, TomC, UD, Squeak, etc. what are you doing with them?

Thanks to all that respond,
Steve

#204642 - 11/20/02 08:20 AM Re: How do you use registrations?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Steve,
When I had the 9000 and 8000, I set them up something like this:
In Bank One I but 8 "shuffle-type" setups.
In Bank Two I put 2/4 (Shoddish, Bluegrass, etc)
In Bank Three, of course, Waltzs (3/4)
In Bank Four, Slow 4/4
In Bank Five, Fast 4/4 (R & R)
In Bank Six 6/8 or 12/8, Rock Ballads, etc.
In Bank Eight, Latins, Rhumbas etc.
I saved band seven for experimenting during the night. If I found something I wanted to keep, I saved it there.
Bank Nine, Big Band, Swing
That's about it.
With the 2K, I use only a couple of banks.
On my primary bank, I have a Country Swinge setup in R1, with Grand Piano sound.
R2 has Country 2/4 with Strat sound.
R3 has Waltz (of course) with Harmonica sound
R4 has Slow 4/4 ballad with accoustic guitar
R5 has Jive with tempo of 120 and Fiddle sound. This is excellent for Country shuffles with walking bass.
R6 has 6/8 Ballad with Sweet Sax
R7 has Shuffle with 60's guitar
R8 has 4/4 Rock 'n Roll with Growl Sax.
I have the Freeze parameters set to freeze everything except the sound. That way, when the freeze light is on, I have instant access to 8 of my favorite sound setups.
I have a similar Reg bank for Supper Club setups and one for Blues/rock.
I also use about a dozen Song Finder setups.
DonM

#204643 - 11/20/02 08:32 AM Re: How do you use registrations?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Steve,

Good to hear from you. It has been too long. I must admit that I'm like you. I don't use registrations. I keep most of them in my head. It would make my life simpler if I used them but then I would have to remember those. Most of the people for whom I play need the time between songs to rest up. Scott will have some tips. He is very organized.

Tom

Tom

#204644 - 11/20/02 08:38 AM Re: How do you use registrations?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Anyone use the registration banks outside of gigging? Boy it'd be great to have 8 memory settings per bank on my keyboard.. Sadly the PSR-2000 and the boards below it only have 4 per bank.. I use my registrations a lot, but I don't use them to recall styles and so forth.. I set up custom voice settings (DSP send, return levels, volume, panning, touch sensitivity, reverb/chorus, ect. Like Don I set the banks up according to the style I'm playing. Got numerous banks of guitars, E-Pianos, basses, Acoutic instruments, and so forth.. I like the registration feature, I just wish there were more than 4 choices per bank...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-20-2002).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#204645 - 11/20/02 04:33 PM Re: How do you use registrations?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I use registrations all the time. I can't use the panel organs on the 740 because they have no touch response so I'm forced to use the XG organs. They're not nearly as good so I have to use two voices to get anything like a good sound as well as setting some effects. This means using the registrations so that I don't have to set everything up every time I want to change. I would like the 8 buttons on the 2000 because 4 just ain't enough and it takes several button presses to change banks.

#204646 - 11/20/02 04:56 PM Re: How do you use registrations?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Sadly the PSR-2000 and the boards below it only have 4 per bank..

correction:

The PSR2000 has 8 registration buttons per bank. The number of banks is limited only by the amount of storage (User memory OR floppy disk) available.

Scott

#204647 - 11/20/02 05:13 PM Re: How do you use registrations?
Dnj Offline

Set up 2.. "EZ 8 BANKS !

16 style registrations, setup SYLES for everything imaginalble thruout the night. Just change the keys, setup the OTS for each and your good to go. No hassles or confusion. Add a few SMF songs and make em dance!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-20-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online