SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#204353 - 04/28/03 05:56 AM Re: I just got my Motion Sound KP-100S
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Just an added thought to Scott L's post: (1) EON (or even two) isn't the same as (1) KP-100s because the EONs do not have a built-in mixer/preamp like the KP does.

I have a pair of JBL EON10 G2's that I have used at gigs with my keyboard and no mixer and found the sound to be pretty weak - adding a mixer gave my keyboard signal the punch to take full advantage of the speaker's wattage (175 watts each). So you really need a mixer plus speakers plus cables to equal what the KP amps do.

My KP-200s at 200 watts has lots of volume and bass all by itself and I have as yet to play a gig that it did not have enough power for. None the less, the KP has stereo XLR outputs on the back so expanding the sound by adding EON's would be a snap. Since I also have the powered EON subs, my system is fully scalable. I have some summer outdoor gigs where I plan on using the KP-200s for my personal stage monitor and my full EON system for the front PA (KP:200 + 2/EON10:350 + 2/Subs:400 = total of 950 watts). I also expect to get a psuedo-surround-sound effect from my playing position with this setup (the stereo expander should be a gas to play with). Can't wait to try it!

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 04-28-2003).]

#204354 - 04/28/03 08:26 AM Re: I just got my Motion Sound KP-100S
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Beakybird

This makes more sense to me now. The PA rental cost is a steal, much less than I would expect. I am not in that line of music retail. I sell Lowrey organs. This may be something for me to consider.

I guess I personally would be happy to carry in one small amp that does the job like in the old days.

Hi Pro

Thanks for your thoughts. For me, if I were to get a Motion Sound, I would guess the 200 watts would be the best , but the weight is what would stop me. I have a need for light equipment. I suppose if I ever really needed more punch I would probably get two Barbetta Sona 32C's @ 36 pounds.

Right now I use a PSR2000 and two JBL Eon 10G2's(at your recommendation, and I love the sound). I have been using the built in mixer on the KB. Are you suggesting there is a significant and noticeable improvement on sound quality and volume in using a mixer? If this is so, do you know if one of the Behringer mixers under $100 would do the trick for my purposes?

Although I know you haven't seen the KP100 what is your educated guess as to what the best move for me would be? Would I be better to go out with two JBL 10's and a mixer, or with a KP100?

I would like to hear a Motion Sound , but I don't think it would pay for me even to have one sent and try it for the price of shipping.

How would you compare using your KP200 instead of two JBL 10's with a mixer?

Also, I've often wondered what the best speaker placement is using the JBL's, preferably without poles. Do you think its worth using poles.

Thank you both, (and all) for the info. This really cuts down on testing and shopping time, and prevents me from doing something I wish I hadn't.

Sorry for being so windy, but inquiring minds want to know.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#204355 - 04/28/03 08:41 AM Re: I just got my Motion Sound KP-100S
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, I have an 8-channel Behringer. It is very useful and reliable.
DonM

#204356 - 04/28/03 09:50 AM Re: I just got my Motion Sound KP-100S
RJMiller Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Scott L,

I found that my X1/X4 when used with 2 JBL Eon10G's sounded better if run through a mixer.

Based on the Pro's recommendation I purchased a KP-200S to replace my 2 JBL's and a mixer.
I placed the JBL's a few feet behind me and about 5-10 feet away on either side when I performed. I place KP-200S directly in front of me about 1 foot away. To my ears the KP-200S has more of a sterio and live sound than the JBL's. Although the JBL's together were outputting sterio, from where I played I could tell the direction of the sound and that there were two speakers. (Perhaps that is obvious.) I expect that the sterio effect was more pronounce in the audience.

I recently put on a program in the chapel of a nursing home. It had about a 30' peaked ceiling that was wood covered - very live acoustics. The KP-200S sterio expand sound with the reverb coming from the ceiling was magnificent. The only way to describe it was that I felt bathed in the sound. It was very non-directional. I have found that the sound is very dispersed in the other situations also. Different than two speakers.

I have also found my vocals(I use a VoicePrism) seem to be more forward in the mix and easier to hear with the accompaniment when using the KP-200S compared to the JBL's and a mixer.

I wish that the KP-200S were lighter, but the extra weight for me is worth the better sound (to my ears). With the amp replacing 2 JBL's and 2 speaker stands, I can now move all my equipment with one trip with my cart.

When needed (which won't be very often), I will hook up my 2 JBL Eon 15G2's to the KP-200S to get better coverage in a large venue.

Good Luck!

RJM

#204357 - 04/28/03 11:09 AM Re: I just got my Motion Sound KP-100S
Beakybird Offline

Yamaha now makes an 8" PA type of speaker that puts out at least 100 watts. They weigh 20lbs apiece. This might be another option for those who want stereo but don't want to carry around too much weight. George Kaye mentioned it in one of his threads.

#204358 - 04/28/03 11:34 AM Re: I just got my Motion Sound KP-100S
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Pro

Right now I use a PSR2000 and two JBL Eon 10G2's(at your recommendation, and I love the sound). I have been using the built in mixer on the KB. Are you suggesting there is a significant and noticeable improvement on sound quality and volume in using a mixer? If this is so, do you know if one of the Behringer mixers under $100 would do the trick for my purposes?

Yes and yes. I found that preamping the keyboard signal by using a mixer results in a far better sound with more control over EQ. Nearly any decent brand-name mixer will do.

Quote:

Although I know you haven't seen the KP100 what is your educated guess as to what the best move for me would be? Would I be better to go out with two JBL 10's and a mixer, or with a KP100?

Indeed all I know about the KP-100s is what I've read here - so far it seems a little underpowered but that may be fine for small gigs. With the EON10's you are running 350 watts versus only 100 watts with the KP-100s. I think the 200 watt KP-200s is more of a match to the paired EONs, and ironically the KP-200s weighs the same as a pair of EON10's - but the KP-200s is a bulky thing so that's a factor too.

There is no doubt in my mind that the EONs w/mixer would be a better and more versatile overall package than the KP-100s in terms of size and power, especially if you can only afford or only want just one system, but the KP-100s is a darn handy thing to have if you have regular gigs that you can use it on. It would be nice to have both (and they could be used together too).

Quote:
How would you compare using your KP200 instead of two JBL 10's with a mixer?

I like the convenience and sound of the KP-200s a lot and it's size doesn't bother me. I have always said that a complete PA offers more versatility than the KP - especially for the singing performer - but having a one-piece amp system is quite nice and setup time is practically zilch. And the KP-200s' stereo expansion does give a new dimension to my keyboard sound. Tough question... and since I've used EONs for a long time that really says something about how much I love my KP-200s. I'll say this - I use the KP-200s more now than I do my EONs, but I have no intention of giving up my EONs.

However, I also play with bands often and the KP-200s is better for this than a PA. Not only does it act as a stereo direct box for sending my keyboard signal to the band mixer while giving me a stereo stage keyboard monitor, but I can also run the vocal monitor signal from the main mixer to the "click input" of the KP-200s and use it for vocal monitoring (the click input signal does not get passed to the direct outputs). So I use the KP-200s both for solo and sideman work - this was my main reasoning behind buying it.

Quote:
Also, I've often wondered what the best speaker placement is using the JBL's, preferably without poles. Do you think its worth using poles.

I don't believe in poles unless you need to shoot your sound over people's heads/bodies, as in larger venues. Most often poles just direct the sound right into people's faces at small to mid-size gatherings. I like having the speakers on the floor tilted upwards and slightly behind me so they double as vocal monitors. You'll get less volume complaints this way.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 04-28-2003).]

#204359 - 04/28/03 08:49 PM Re: I just got my Motion Sound KP-100S
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The Pro, I also prefer the speakers on the floor, I pop the casters off the rear end of my Roland cubes and it creates a perfect angle for coverage, and still retain the bass response I want for my solo work..In my band situation we do have Yorkvilles on poles[ 550 watts each], but we also use a Yorkville 600 watt sub woofer..This system with my Mackie mixer kicks butt..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online