SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20287 - 02/18/05 11:33 AM internal SCSI on K2000RS
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hello, 'old' K-Users! ;-)

I have trouble with my K2000RS by connecting an internal SCSI-HD. I've removed the K's terminators and enabled the HD's own termination. The K's ID is set to '6' (factory settings) and the SCSI's ID is now set to '0' (my own choice).
Now, after pushing the power switch the K's frontlights are blinkink three times (that's normal), but the display stays blank (no initializing). While this procedure the HD-LED is permanently on.
The 1st HD I've tested has a capacity of 9 GB. My music dealer told me first that this were the biggest capacity that the K2000 could 'see'. But now I know that there is no bigger HD possible as once with a capacity of 1 GB (because of my old OS 2.07).
The 2nd HD I've tested has a capacity of 270 MB but it showed the same attitudes. Is there anyone who can help me?
I have powered my K's RAM from 16 MB up to 64 MB the day before yesterday. It seems all in right order (master mode shows all 64 MB). So I can exclude this possibility (hope so).

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#20288 - 02/26/05 04:53 AM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
When I looked around regarding your problem I found the following article which seemed to indicate you still needed the synth termination when using an internal drive. You mentioned you had removed it. That may well be the problem.

(Here is some info on K2000 SCSI from http://web.archive.org/web/20000915092041/http://www.xavax.com/bklein/k2000.htm )

More on Hard Drives, ID's, and SCSI
As I stated above, the power supply is really maxed out if it has to power a hard drive in addition to the synth and it's options/memory. It gets damn hot as it is. Many hard drives will require close to a half an amp on the 5 volts. Motor starting currents on the 12 volt line can approach 2 amps or more. You also have to worry about powering the required fan. You might want to think about providing a separate external supply for the drive. Laptop battery eliminator supplies that you may be able to find surplus should do fine.

Each device on the SCSI bus has to have its own unique ID selected, usually by a jumper or switch. It doesn't matter what the ID is - as long as each is different. You can select one of 7 ID's. Your synth will tell you what is connected and each device's ID. Terminators have to be physically on the ends of the SCSI cable. If you have an internal hard drive and don't use the SCSI port in the back, the synth's terminator needs to be installed (normally is) with another on the hard drive. If you do plan to use the SCSI port you probably need to remove the terminator on the synth board, terminate the drive, and have some kind of terminator that can plug the DB25 connector when a cable is not used (with a terminator at the device/controller at the end of the cable that plugs in here). Yes, it gets messy!

In addition to termination and ID hassles, you may have additional problems with capacity, compatibility, and types of SCSI busses. SCSI drives at 750mb and below are generally compatible capacitywise. Larger than that depends on your synth's level of firmware. Contact YC to get the details - you may be able to use a larger drive but just not use ALL of it. Several drives - hard drives and CDROMs - just plain don't work due to the SCSI chipset they use. I had trouble with a CDROM with an NEC controller chip. Best post a message on the K2000 mail list to check compatibility. Finally, take a look at the connector on the back of your unit. It is called a DB25. Newer SCSI drives and controllers use a different type connector style, called SCSI II (two). This is a smaller, thinner connector style. There are adapters to interchange these and the older cables/connectors but they aren't cheap. If you are recording you may want to disconnect the SCSI cable from the synth and pc to make things quieter.

#20289 - 02/26/05 07:43 AM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Sheriff Offline

Thank you very much for your big help, Nigel! Did you search the whole night long?
I'd found a few sites in the web analog to this site but this one has taken me a step forward. There's only one point in it that I don't understand:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
...Contact YC to get the details...

What means 'YC'? I have actually no answer. I guess I will find the answer in this direction.

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 02-26-2005).]

#20290 - 02/26/05 09:05 AM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Sheriff Offline

Okay, now I know what YC means. The name of the manufacturer Young Chang. I don't know why I didn't remember at first.
Thank you for help!

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#20291 - 02/26/05 12:55 PM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
YC won't help anymore...Samick Corp owns Kurz and YC now..

#20292 - 02/26/05 01:17 PM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Sheriff Offline

Thank you too, Fran. I've found these two pages:
http://www.sweetwater.com/k2000/drives.html

http://www.sweetwater.com/k2000/k2500drives.html

I strongly believe the answer to my problem lies in their. If not doing so I'll try the way you've advised me.

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 02-26-2005).]

#20293 - 02/26/05 03:34 PM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Sheriff,
You might try it here.
Allthough it is not that active anymore, there are a lot of K 2000 users still here.

(I do use a K2600 but I have no idea how the K2000 act's with scsi)
(With the early O/S you are probably limited to the old dos maximum which was I think 512MB)

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?s=6d67e9dcf0b2c94b173eabf0036f029c&showforum=14

#20294 - 02/26/05 05:54 PM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Did you search the whole night long?

No I just started by checking a couple of K2000 links on the Synth Zone Kurzweil listing at http://www.synthzone.com/kurzweil.htm and came across it pretty quickly.

#20295 - 02/26/05 06:03 PM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Nigel Offline
Admin

So did things start working ok once you terminated both the synth and the HD ?

#20296 - 02/27/05 06:10 AM Re: internal SCSI on K2000RS
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
No I just started by checking a couple of K2000 links on the Synth Zone Kurzweil listing...

I knew this list and followed many of the links but the best place I recognized was this Synth Zone Forum.
The help I'm getting here shows me that this was the right choice. Here are soooo many nice musicians...

Quote:
So did things start working ok once you terminated both the synth and the HD ?

Unfortunality it doesn't work. The music dealer and me had checked this at first. In the K's musician's guide it's noted that the removal of termination is a part of the installation of an internal HD drive.
So, when I arrived at home again I directly removed the terminations but the effect was the same as with them. I guess the trouble is caused by the HD drive themself. The one I use is a HP SureStore 2000LP (9.1GB). I know that the K2k with OS Version 2.07 can't discover more than 1GB but it should be possible to format 1GB out of 9GB. But before I can try this I have to get any sign from HD on K's screen. It's possible that only these old HDs which were listed by sweetwater in 1996 will give me any process.
I also know that the K2000R's power supply can cope with up to 1A current caused by motor start of the HD drive. My old SureStore do not exceed this level. I don't give it up - I'm totally willing to solve this problem.

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 02-27-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online