SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202788 - 07/30/01 11:14 AM Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer.
I only play for pleasure at home, I play Keyboard by reading music (not by ear) In fact I quite like reading music, a bit like reading a book.
I play chords with accompany styles in left hand and melody with a selected voice in the right hand as most players do.
Usually I mute most style parts leaving Drums -Bass with my left hand playing Piano or El-Piano. this encourages me to put chord fills in occasionally between the chord changes into the Drums & Bass backing.

I am interested in developing my backing technique, so what do you pros do when either singing the melody line yourself or accompanying a singer. Do you vamp the chords also with the right hand with the occasional arpeggio. I can play and use most chords, but do not bother with the 9th & 13th etc:
I practice usually around a 12 bar sequence mostly in C although I normally play and read music in most key signatures.

Can I have your input please......I am sure there are many Forum members who would be interested in this subject.

Graham UK

#202789 - 07/30/01 12:12 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I have been playing and accompany singers voice with one man band (arranger) for a while. If I wanted full band effect, I use the built in drums style from the arranger. I also use my left hand for manual bass, and right hand for chords and transitions with very little melodies. It works quite good and feels like a full live band. If you use the automatic rhythm, you will not get a LIVE feeling unless the rhythm really fits well with the song. With the manual bass and your own chords, you can accentuate better. This method really works for me and I know some of the great players in this forum (if not all) uses the same methods.

#202790 - 07/30/01 12:41 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Graham UK Offline

lukitoh......If I tried to play left hand Bass it would have to be a very simple Riff for me to handle it, and then it possibly would not sound good enough.....Its a bit like rubbing the top of your head with one hand and your tummy with the other, if you get my meaning HA!!
What's the simplest bass run I can get away with for starters??

It is something for me to consider trying, and thanks for your input.

Graham UK

#202791 - 07/30/01 12:59 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Graham, The easiest way to get use to manual bass, is to use the root and fifth of a chord alternately[ as an example in a C chord, play C on the first beat of a 4/4 measure and G on the third beat, then try double beats , C on the first and second beat[try octaves too] and G on the third and forth.. After you are comfortable , try to walk the bass, in simple form, use the 4th and 7th within the chord..It will start to come natural, especially if you know chords well...Fran

#202792 - 07/30/01 01:28 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Fran,
you are an egomaniac!

#202793 - 07/30/01 02:33 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
lukitoh Offline

Graham UK,
I highly recommend learning manual bass - your playing quality will really improve. Pick some easy rhythms like those slow 8 beats. Then slowly learn the others. Your keyboard arranger is a great learning tool too. I learned many of my bass lines from my own arranger. At first, I just concentrate on the bass lines and not worry too much with my right hand and try to follow a song with simple bass lines from CD/tape. Don't start with walking bass lines - those are for more advanced players. It's like learning to ride a bike, you'll get used to it after a while.
-Han

#202794 - 07/30/01 04:06 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Graham,
Take it from one who dosen't read hardly a note of music. I have to learn it the other way. Many times not exactly the way it was written. I play mostly country style. Many times I use the last line of a song to open it,or the last line of the chorus.
Sometimes they have a special entry, in this case I try to use it.
I almost never play lead notes when someone is singing. When they are singing they are the lead. I always try to lead them into a verse.
I then play fill notes behind there singing,
but very low, giving them the floor! I come in a little louder to lead them into chorus or ect. In the middle of the song I may play a short turnover, maybe a couple of lines.
Then some kind of a ending, depending on the song! That said!
"Graham" I admire one who can read music.
I wish I had learned Years ago!! But now you
know how I have to do it!
Keep Pounding them keys,
Nobby

PS. Fran looks like the synthzone ghost is really busy tonight,look below! That's what they make delete for! HeHe! Sorry I just couldn't resist!

I fixed it Fran!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 07-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 07-30-2001).]

#202795 - 07/30/01 05:19 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Fran Carango Offline

Nobby, the word is "below" , that is why they have edit....

#202796 - 07/30/01 06:33 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Nobby Offline

Fran,
Now why did I do that!
Excuse my english!
Nobby

------------------

#202797 - 07/30/01 06:40 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Fran Carango Offline

Nobby, I'm telling you it's the Synthzone ghosts..

#202798 - 07/30/01 10:31 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Graham UK Offline

Thankyou all for your responsiveness.......I have been playing now 10 years, my wife say's its nearer 20 years and she should know having to listen to the same song being practised over & over.

It is obvious that I need to concentrate on this left hand BASS, so I have been looking at the different instrument Riff's that Band-In-A-Box can produce. This program also enables you to print out clearly any of the parts. You can print just the Bass line with Chords.....You see you have now got me all fired up.

Quite an interesting subject.....that is if this 64 year old can keep up the pace?....HA!!

Graham UK

#202799 - 07/31/01 01:03 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Graham UK Offline

The last couple days I have been putting some of your suggestion above into practice...I find it easier to play Bass with right hand and Chords as normal in the left split.......It just feels more natural to me... plus I have the benefit of being able to read the left Bass Clef part and still play the part with my right hand......Do you think this is an acceptable way to play?

Graham UK

#202800 - 07/31/01 01:12 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
lukitoh Offline

I don't see why not. But so far I have NEVER seen anyone play manual bass using keyboard with their right hand. Most people are right handed and do things better with their right hand. Bass is very repetitive - that is why I use left hand since I don't have to dedicate my brain resource too much for my left hand.

#202801 - 07/31/01 01:36 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Though I'd personally prefer (when playing manual bass) to trigger chords with my right hand (piano comping sound) and play manual bass with the LH, my arranger keyboard only supports right hand bass playing while triggering comping chords with LH, so I HAD to adapt to playing your right hand bass playing style. The bottom line is: Do whatever works best for you, but sometimes we just have to adapt to the limitations of the keyboard even if it means expanding our keyboard skills. - Scott

#202802 - 07/31/01 02:12 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Nobby Offline

Hi Graham,
64 huh I was 64 in Jan. 13 this yr. Yes I was born on a friday!! Yes my wife probably gets tired of listening to me too, but I put her to work singing harmony. She sings alto.

Just My opinon Ok?
I believe you would be better off to learn the bass runs(your walking bass) with your left hand! Because it is at the bass end of your KB. You will be wanting to play some fill in behind your singer.

Another thought, When You are playing Your KB
in the normal way with arranger off, this will give you a new way to back up your right hand. I know you likly do great playing the KB straight the way you've always did it, but just think of the possibilities!
Best Regards
Nobby

PS. Hope Fran doesn't check my spelling!Ha!

------------------

#202803 - 07/31/01 11:02 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
If you play the bass line, why not turn OFF the arranger? The kn5k will do that easily. Just split the board and assign the bass to the left and a chord sound to the right. Then just use the drums to finish the sound. It's very refreshing - especially in a more intimate setting.
Try a sipmle swing tune that only uses a few chords (Rt 66???) and walk your way through the changes. It comes as second nature after a very short time and you regain total creative freedom over the arrangment. You are the MASTER, not just the conductor. Try it!

#202804 - 08/01/01 09:45 AM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Uncle Dave: I really 'DO' love (and prefer) playing in the fashion (non auto accomp chord arranger mode) you describe. It allows you complete freedom to play ANY chord voicing in the right hand (root & rootless ) YOU choose and not have to worry about arranger chord recognition. But this is NOT true arranger keyboard playing. It is essentially the SAME as playing an acoustic piano (but with a bass sound in the left hand) along with a drum machine.

Sometimes I like to play bass lines with the arranger turned ON (with all auto accomp instrument parts (except bass) playing (horns, guitar, strings, etc). In this situation (at least on the Technics KN keyboards), I have had to adapt to playing bass lines with my right hand. I usually do this when I want to play a short bass solo or when I want to add some LIVE bass line riffs in the middle of a tune. Playing bass with the RH was confusing at first, but it ended up working out fine and (as an added bonus), provided me a NEW keyboard skill.
- Scott

#202805 - 08/01/01 09:58 AM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Uncle Dave Offline

I guess I prefer the "non" true arranger playing method. I LIKE being the aranger! More proof of Chocolate & Vanilla!

#202806 - 08/02/01 05:25 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Simple tip leave the chord on root note as a test EG Key C cgcgcgcgcc fcfcfcfcff gdgdgdgdgg cetc Pierce.

#202807 - 08/02/01 07:53 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Uncle Dave Offline

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Once more please, Peirce.... if you please.

#202808 - 08/03/01 04:50 AM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
a tip I got when I used to Play simple alternating bass on piano (Still Very simple) I used to Go from Chord c to F often leaving the chord on a G (5th) note and My teacher told me to improve by ending on a C when in a c chord G when in a G chord and F when in an F chord. Pierce

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online