SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202484 - 12/01/01 07:10 AM Need help with style recording..
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey can someone help me with a minor question about style recording? Here's what I'm tying to do.. I own the PSR-550, and just recently re-aquired my old Yamaha DJX(the original DJX) Well the DJX has this really nice slow jam that I wanted on the 550, so I listened to it and broke it down into parts and then tried recording it from scratch on my 550. Well all went well when I recorded it in the proper scale as stated in the 550 manual, but when I changed key sigs it didn't respond like the DJX. For example, when I play the recorded style on the 550 in say (Em flat), and then switch to (Am flat) it doesn't sound the same on the 550. Everythings sounds good in Em flat but when I switch to the Am flat it doesn't sound right... Any suggestions..

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202485 - 12/01/01 09:59 AM Re: Need help with style recording..
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Dan,

You could try sequencing the whole style out, and then converting it back with the software style converter I sent to you. You can play each variation in order on the DJX while recording it externally to XG works ( unless the DJX has an internal seq and disc fuctions? ) Play Intro(s), var A, var B, fills, ending ..etc.. ) on the DJX all together and record it as one midi file using a C maj or Cmaj7 chord. Once you have the whole thing sequenced, use XG works, to ad markers at the points where each variation begins on the sequence. Then you can send this file to the new Yamaha midi to style software and it will add the proper sysex info and casm properties and save it as a yamaha .sty file. It is important to have the markers set in the right spot Dan and spelled correctly, or the software won't read them properly.

AJ

#202486 - 12/01/01 10:05 AM Re: Need help with style recording..
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks AJ.... I tried to just do it manually on my 550. I thought if I just recreated the same thing, it would sound the same.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202487 - 12/01/01 10:12 AM Re: Need help with style recording..
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Sometimes I have been able to do that with very good success Squeak, other times...well on to the software..lol. Still it doesn't always quite work out to sound exactly the same between two boards. It seems as though some of it has to do with how a particular arranger reads and converts the file itself, especially when playing in a key other than Cmaj ( although I can't say this is the case for sure ). I guess that is why some of the converted styles play well on my boards while others don't play so well ( notwithstanding the different voice types, effect placements ,and file formats between the different boards, xg, Gen Midi, GS2 etc.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online