SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202321 - 10/21/05 07:05 AM Genysis XP vs Midjay?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Can anyone compare the 2?

#202322 - 10/21/05 07:38 AM Re: Genysis XP vs Midjay?
Dnj Offline

http://www.generalmusic.com/html/pressMain.asp?cPress=26

Gem Genesys XP module

Specifications:

Polyphony
64 notes max
Sounds
128 sound presets (16 sound presets x 16 sound families/128MB internal memory), 128 user presets, over 1.500 single sound + over 600 user single sounds, sound edit modes: quick e pro, sample translator/editor
Effects
4 DSP with 57 programmable effects
Modes
Full keyboard, bass split, acc. split, piano style, manual bass, pro split
Controls
Volume sliders: main, style/seq., CD, Mp3, audio HD; selection: presets, memories, sounds, styles; style presets, music library, styel tools; dial, cursor keys, inc/dec, enter/escape, page prev/next, transpose, octave, 16 function keys, song player/rec studio, database, demo, disk, system, MIDI, CD studio, part, display hold; functions: section edit, sound controls
Memories
1.024 (8 memory locations x 128 banks)
Pads
4 programmable pads
Display
Graphic LCD 320 x 240, backlit with adjustable light contrast
Vocal Genius
Mic slider and genius slider, 3 vocal DSPs (reverb + delay + compressor), harmony
Styles
256 factory styles + 64 user locations, 96 music library
Styles controls
Start/stop, 4 intro, 4 ending, 4 variations, 4 fill, break, restart, synchro start, fade in/out, tap tempo, single touch play, arr. on/off, arr. memory, edit, bass inv., tempo lock, style lock, tap tempo
Single Touch Play
2.048 (8 x style)
Sequencer
64 songs, 32 tracks, 250.000 events, microscope editing
Recording Studio
Play, stop, rec, rewind, ffwd, pause, song player
Disk Drive
Load, save, delete, copy, move, format (720 Kb - 1.44MB - 1.62MB)
Compatibility
Standard MIDI files (0, 1, 1+lyrics - GM1/2), WK/SK songs, WX/SX songs, files '.kar', WordBox©, PianoDisk©, Doc©, Disklavier©, MP3, MP3 + Lyrics, CD audio, .wav; mode: direct-from-hard disk/floppy disk/scsi/cd, db list, song search
Hard Disk
Up to 20Gb built-in hard disk (2.5'', EIDE), sampling, 2-track HD recorder (16 bit/44.1kHz)
CD Player/Burner
DVD player / CD-RW burner
Connections
Stereo outputs + aux out 1/2, stereo inputs (mic/Line with gain control), video out (SVHS+RCA), computer host, 2 stereo headphones, 3 programmable pedals, volume pedal, MIDI in/out/thru, PC keyboard
Extra
Upgradable operating system via floppy disk

Dimensions
(W x H x D)
400 x 135 x 350 mm / 15,7'' x 5,3'' x 13,8''

Weight
8 kg \ 17,6 lbs

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-21-2005).]

#202323 - 10/21/05 07:39 AM Re: Genysis XP vs Midjay?
Dnj Offline

Ketron Midjay
Download the full color Brochure here (4.355MB)

Panel Alpha Dial, 8 Volume slider controls, 40 direct easy access tabs.
Display LCD 192x80.
Wavetable Over 300 Voices, 22 Drum Sets, 72 Live Drums. GM standard.
Disk 20G internal Hard Disk. 3,5 2DD/HD internal Floppy Disk.
Video VIDEO INTERFACE with RGB Monitor Out
USB USB 1.1 Connection
Player 2 x Midi file, 2 x Waves, MP3 ( MPEG 2 Layer 2/3 audio).
Play List . Automatic Song Chain. Karaoke and Txt. Numerical & Alphabetical search. Long file names. Advanced Editing. Drum Mixer. Full compatibility with SD1, SD1 Plus and XD Series. Intelligent transposer. 16 Markers. Lead voice mute (Voice canceller). Loop. Wave to Midi file link. Bass / Treble equalization on MP3. Drum Remix.
Disk Copy, Move, Rename, Delete and new Folder functions.
Hard Disk Recording 1 stereo track on Wave format, with Music and Microphone.
DJ Loops & Grooves 100 complete backgrounds of House, Dance, Pop, R&B,Chill Out. Traditional Acoustic Drum Loops (Full Stereo Wave 44 Kz / 16bit).
Arranger 128 Styles. Intro, 4 Variations, Fill, Break, Ending.
SFX 200 hi-quality Sound Effects .
HD Bonus Song Library International Hits, Instrumental and Evergreen. Italian Dancing Orchestras.
Microphone Gain, Volume and Tone control. Reverb and Echo-Delay effects. Solo Talk.
Vocalizer 3 Voice Vocalizer unit ( optional ).
Midi In, Out, Thru.
Output Left/Mono & Right. Micro. RGB (for video). Metronome Click.
Footswitch ( optional ).
Input Line In Left & Right. Headphone. Microphone.
Power Power supply adaptor 5 V Dc.
Dimensions 32 x 23 x 11 cms. approx. / 12,5’’ x 8,7’’ x 4,5’’approx.
Weight 3,200 Kg. / 7 lbs.

#202324 - 10/21/05 08:25 AM Re: Genysis XP vs Midjay?
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Frankieve
I can't help you with the comparison and there is an error in the Specs. The XP unit has 128 factory styles and 128 user styles. It comes with 256 styles. I'm just a hobbiest so I can't be of much value for comparison. I had the Genesys and liked it a lot but ran out of room and it had to go.
I bought the XP which is hooked up to my Technics FA-1 organ and it sounds way better then the original Genesys and I was very happy with it. Being able to split the lower keyboard has effectivly given me a 3 manual organ.

The XP is very solidly built and comes with a padded custom carrying case which is actually pretty impressive.

I beleive you can download the XP manual which might give you some more insight.

Jerry

#202325 - 10/21/05 08:39 AM Re: Genysis XP vs Midjay?
to the genesys Offline

I would say perhaps the overall difference is that the Genesys gives you everything you would expect with an arranger keyboard and little more in a desktop module. Where as the Midjay gives you the flexibility of playing back files in different formats (midi, wave, mp3 and styles)
And mixing them together.

While the Genesys can play all those formats, you can not play two at the same time nor play one after the other with out a break. Both of which the midjay can do.

Likewise, while the midjay has internal sounds and styles, you can not create your own styles, modify and or load new sounds, create midi files and songs with a 32 track sequencer and have access to over 1500 sounds. All of which you have with the Genesys XP.

The midjay has USB, is lighter and smaller.

The Genesys xp has an onboard DVD reader and a CD RW drive, is bigger and heavier but has dedicated button for most functions.

I think it really comes down to what you hope to do with the product. If having vast sounds and arranger functions that are editable but like the fact you can play waves, CDs mp3s and midi all in one box, then the Genesys xp maybe for you.

If you want a box that can play waves, mp3s, midis and styles and can integrate them mix them together and play them one after the other with out any breaks, and if you still like to have styles and sounds playable from a controller keyboard, then the midjay may be for you.

Also you have to think if size is an issue as the midjay is conveniently much lighter (10 lbs less than the Genesys xp) and the midjay is much more transportable.

#202326 - 10/21/05 08:50 AM Re: Genysis XP vs Midjay?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I agree with everything said here and I would only add that the price difference is a huge factor. The midjay sells for less than $2000.00 here in the USA and I believe that the Genesys module sells for around the same price as the Genesys Pro keyboard which is closer to the $5000.00 price range.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online