SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202310 - 12/17/01 11:54 PM Re: digital Piano
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I believe that a good musician with the right arranger keyboard can reasonably re-create the spontaniety of a jazz performance. With the use of a variety of drum fills triggered in just the right places as well as multipad hits and other arranger keyboard playing techniques (chord substituions, etc) , you can really create a feeling of 'live' interaction between the arranger parts and your live playing which is such an intergral part of what jazz is about. I studied jazz in college, peformed in a combo and know that the chemistry of playing off other musicians can't really be matched with an arranger, but sometimes it gets close, especially with the use of arranger playing techniques, 'smoke and mirrors' as Uncle Dave calls it. I currently perform all styles of music (from pop to country, r&b, rock to showtunes). I realize that mainstream audiences appreciate a melody that will be easily recognizable and that they can sing along to. Though never a hardcore jazz player, I continue to enjoy playing and singing the classic pop standards which have become classic jazz swing tunes as well and like to throw in a few chord substitutions here or there to add flair to an otherwise bland chord progression. The KEY to performing is to 'know' your audience and to not only give them what they want, but to give them a taste of something new and original as well. I typically play a set of standard fare and then throw in something different in the middle of the second set once I've won them over and given them what THEY think they came for. Once I got them in the palm of my hands, I am free to expand their listening experience (one or two tunes) of somethng different: from bebop jazz to hardcore hillbilly country to classical. Music comes in so many wonderful flavors. If you can suceed at turning your audience on to something new, you'll have them begging for MORE ! That being said, I think that Technics has the best piano sound and styles specifically for jazz.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-18-2001).]

#202311 - 12/18/01 02:15 AM Re: digital Piano
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The Roland RD700 will not take the Roland JV cards. Only the larger new 64MB SRX cards work in it.
I would also recommend the newly released P120 and P120S Yamaha's. These are newly remade P80 with built in monitor speakers and beautiful wood finishes. The weight is still only 40 lbs. and Yamaha has added Vibes, Clavs, Guitars and two more bass sounds. They've also addes a second pedal option, fixed volume outputs as well as outputs controlled by the master volume and three song memory instead of one. They sell for around $1100.00 which is just $200.00 more than the P80. A very popular new model.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#202312 - 12/18/01 04:56 AM Re: digital Piano
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Thank you all. That's what I like most about this forum. You not only get answers, you get passionate ones as well. I'm sure that's why you're all doing so well in this career....I guess actually it's more a life style wouldn't you say? It just becomes who you are. Anyhow, I wasn't trying to interject any profound substance here. Just looking for a great sounding digital piano. The bells and whistles aren't necessarily important, although additional capabilities along with hammer action is tempting. George, thanks for the new Yamaha lead, as always your input is extremely valuable, Scott / Kmac and Nimrod, I'll look at those technics. My dad has the Clavinova style technincs at home. It may be the model, but I haven't warmed to the piano sounds or the keyboard feel yet, but I will definately try out the P-50 next time I can get my hands on one. As I said, this is both for performing and recording, as I am 5 years away from retiring from my real job. That gives me a good time to educate myself in all this stuff (recording/performing/setting up arranger keyboards/demoing new instruments/creating an act etc. This forum is like attending a university. There is so much to learn. Thanks for keeping it fun. Brian

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 12-18-2001).]

#202313 - 12/18/01 05:55 AM Re: digital Piano
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
I'm glad you didn't take my post as a challange or a slam at jazzers. Your response was well thought out, to the point, and carries much truth. Good answer !
You know I strongly disaggre with your piano comment ( I hate the kn5000 acoustic sound ), but hey - I prefer Yamaha acoustics to most Steinways too. I like a brighter, more "present" tone - I played a lot of Steinways, and they all have a darker, classical flavor. Anyway - it's ALL about flavor, isn't it? Glad we can disagree about something we feel so strongly about, and still say it nicely!

#202314 - 12/18/01 09:48 AM Re: digital Piano
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
I don't see how folks could disagree too much with U-Dave on the jazz-not jazz - topic this 'digital piano' forum has become -especially when you realize he uses a traditional definition of what constitutes jazz. Sort of unfortunately for jazz - being defined as 'improvisational interplay between musicians' might also allow John Tesch to be included in that jazz model. If I was considered 1/2 of a jazz duo when me and the bass player perform - does the addition of a drummer whose volume and nuance I control with my feet - enhance my performance or detract? If the audience still really likes it on balance - do I need to inform them that its no longer jazz? Personally I am more interested in recreating the experiences of listening to a fine recording than I am in the promotion of the 'live music' aspect of performance - though I know it is a draw. - Thats particularly why I want to be able to use the arranger during a tune - both for midi-file playback as well as real time accompaniment- - My music performance benefits greatly from the ability to provide substantial diversity within a tune - on the spot - something you can't always do with a band!

Mike H

#202315 - 12/18/01 10:20 AM Re: digital Piano
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I see those kurzweil stage piano's quite often on sale around here. Anybody got experience with those ???

#202316 - 12/18/01 10:37 AM Re: digital Piano
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Kurzweil pianos?

I have played them and some folks think they are great - and certainly to some ears they are fine - I tend to think that if you are not such a purist about traditional acoustic sound - that you can be satisfied with a variety of manufacturers. I believe the Technics SX, the Yamaha P80 and the Roland FP3 tend to focus on the consumer who really wants to recreate a very good acoustic piano as the central element in their performance.

MH

#202317 - 12/18/01 12:59 PM Re: digital Piano
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
More good thoughts..thanks..I checked out the Yamaha P120 and 120S in the yamaha website today, the audio clips sound fantastic...at least through the computer speakers I have....I'm leaning towards Yamaha, Roland or perhaps Technics I guess for now..I tend to agree, the best pure acoustic sounds seem to come from these three folks...at least that's what my ears have told me all along....and to be honest, it's probably between the yamie and the roland...as stated before in one of Scott's threads, there just aren't alot of Technics stores or distributors around these parts...would be nice to compare side by side....Adios Brian

#202318 - 12/18/01 02:49 PM Re: digital Piano
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Please tell me whats up I am delighted for 10 years with my corg sgid and it seems that nobody has one or has comment. I have a friend - an excellent piano player and he tried so many pianos and searched again for a corg sgid and as luck would have it a lady bought one in the same place a me 10 yrs ago for a son and he never played it so my pal bought it we love em so whatya think lads???? Pierce ps price was once £3000 and I paid £2200 -- I know of a chap that paid £2850 also 10 yrs ago. I wouldnt bother going to any gig without it .

#202319 - 12/18/01 07:44 PM Re: digital Piano
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Peirce,
This may sound snobby, or shallow, but the SG1d is no longer a contender. The sounds on todays pianos are greatly improved, the actions are more realistic, and the price & weight have both dropped. In it's day, many players loved that piece, as they did the Roland RD1000 - but c'mon ..... with all the advances available, there is no comparison. Your piano is certainly still useable, but it's an old dog now, and there are new pups on the block that can outrun that sucker without breaking a sweat.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online