SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#201692 - 05/19/07 05:23 AM Any Opinions on the PA800 Vocalizer TCH
Dnj Offline

As a Pro singer /player I was wondering how good the Pa800 vocalizer is compared to others Ive used on other keyboards.....
My G70/D5 have been excellent best Ive used so far.....my Yamaha's T2/3k have been acceptable but a lil' quirky......I might be considering the Korg PA800 dunno yet....I like the features listed super usefull stuff for the giging musician.....trying to find out as much as possible about the KB by reading posts, demos, etc etc ....
navagation is another must for me on stage... and was always my reasons for straying away from Korg after years of use in the past.

My other concerns......

Touch screen ease of use in real time
Speaker power & quality on very small gigs
FILL IN sync timing with styles
Ability to play other Korg styles PA80 etc & other KB's styles

anything else I'd appreciate....makes the buying process a bit easier.

Thank you all hope to read some replies on this..

stay well

Donny nj

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-19-2007).]

#201693 - 05/19/07 01:07 PM Re: Any Opinions on the PA800 Vocalizer TCH
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi donny,
i have used the harmonizer on the pa1xpro(the one on the pa800 is exactly the same, less one voice, and the optional modelling.pitch correction options) and the harmoizer for the yamahas.in my case it was the plgv100h board, which is exactly the same as what comes with the yamaha 'boards....okay having said that the TC Helicon provided algorithms on the PA series are far and away more realistic and useable than the yamaha ones...the plg100vh board gave solid harmonies, but to give a more personal useage, in my songs i would have the yamaha harmoniser level about 30% lower than the lead, on the PA it was about 10% lower....i also tried the digitech vocalist, and it was about par with the yamaha one...the Helicon model also gives a lot more variations to the types of harmonies you can use, and i smuch simpler to configure...of course all of this is just my view...on to other things
the touch screen is about 75% better to use and clearer to read than the PA1x..and with the "easy" mode on the images become a little bigger so make it much easier to use on stage and the colour is very bright with good contrast (i believe with the next OS update, of which you get plenty from korg, not yammi you will get user preference for colour schemes)
the speaker power seems okay, the speakers are clear and very nice at low to mid (6-9/10) levels, but with some styles, particulalrly the dance/trance/hip-hop etc, you get some annoying vibrations from the bottom end, but if you turn down the volume to no more than about 7, these go away..but overall the speakers are solid. i personally would only use them for monitoring if i didnt have an in-ear monitor system already....fill in sync is very good, and the good part is korg have seriously looked at the volume levels of the fills, which WAS a problem on the PA1x.....it says in the manual that you can laod styles back to the i30...as i do not have any of these i cannot comment, but it will load pa1x styles and actually make them sound better, with no tweaking....also with the new op sys is the ability to play mp3 files (with the mp3 plugin card), which will allow tempo increase/decrease in real time....it still has the dual sequencer...hope i am not rambling too much...
donny just ask anything you want to know, im not selling them so you'll get an honest answer...btw i have owned the psr 3000, va76, discover 5, pa1xpro (twice) e-50, midjay module and the gensysy XP module and have played in the shop(for a couple of hours, being such a long way away, i make the most of my visits ) the T1 and T2, ctk900...i have a reasonable idea of how all these sound..i am only saying it to illustrate i know a little about what im saying, NOT a lot, but a little..
cheers
dennis
PS have you listened to the demos at www.korgpa.com of the PA800? well, when you get the board home, they sound even better, cant wait to get it humming through the PA..

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-19-2007).]

#201694 - 05/19/07 01:26 PM Re: Any Opinions on the PA800 Vocalizer TCH
Dnj Offline

Dennis thanx for the very informative reply regarding the Vocalizer....Yamaha has seemed to use the same old one over and over in their Tyros & Psr lines ....I use them but you really have to be experienced in setting it up & mostly singing thru then the correct way besides activating them in a style that a real back up singer harmonies would be used in songs which is an art in itself for sure, But when done correctly its "Magic"...I've also used the Digitech & TC Helicon units & you can definitly hear the difference.....although more recently the Roland Vocalizer on my G70 or on My D5 is superb also with ease of use many variations and stellar harmonies with minimum vocal efforts. I get a few mixed reviews from many on the PA800 & Im dossed on a final decision to even bother demoing one at this time .....although Im an old Korg player from the 70's & Ive owned and performed with the Korg "Personal" Kb (circa 1970)thru the i3,i30,Pa60,Pa80......we'll see...

Take Care

donny

#201695 - 05/19/07 02:42 PM Re: Any Opinions on the PA800 Vocalizer TCH
miden Offline

Loc: The World
no probs donny, also thought i'd add that in the new OS they are also adding a guitar mode, and further to the mp3 function, it will be able to change key and speed up slow down in perfect pitch, so that should be something....as to the harmoniser, i too have heard the g70 one is excellent, and i've got to tell you the choice between it and the pa800 was a very close one, and it may yet be that after i try the pa800 for a few days, i still might return and swing for the g70..one other thing with the pa800, the keybed is okay, probably about the equivalent of the T2, but nowhere near as good as either the g70, or the pa1xpro....
cya
dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online