SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#201295 - 06/20/07 02:34 PM G-70....ME, TOO!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just "did the deal". Ordered my G-70 from Don Mason's contact. Don will check it out and load the new operating system for me before it's shipped (what a friend!).

The information here was invaluable in making a switch from Solton/Ketron after many, many years. I'll get a Midjay next week to keep that Ketron sound available and look at the new Audya after it has been "field tested".

My set-up, then, for my main house job will be a an XB-2 on the bottom, through a Motion Sound top rotor box, the G-70 in the middle and my new SH 201 (got from George yesterday)
on the top. On my right hand (90 degree-old school) will be the GW-7 that arrived from George yesterday for pianos, vibes, etc.

Thanks to everyone who added experience and advice to make the decision easier.

I'll order a bag and 7 note foot pedal from George tonite (checked with him and he no longer carries the G-70).

And major thanks to Don...I owe you big-time buddy!

Now, off to the gym so I can lug the thing around (my old MS-60's are 40 lbs, plus, so
what's another 5 lbs or so?

Regards, Russ

#201296 - 06/20/07 02:55 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Welcome, friend...!

Yeah, it's a real shame the G70 can't send the VK Organ section out a dedicated output (hope they put this on the NEXT G-series, as I've got a Pro-Motion, too), otherwise you might not even need the XB-2 (I don't think the VK is as good as the new XK Hammond's, though!)...

Sounds like a cool rig, let's hear it once you are up and running.

#201297 - 06/20/07 03:35 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
There is a work around..Route everything else to a separate output..and leave the VK organ thru the mains into your Leslie etc.

WOW Russ..This G70 stuff is catching on...I wonder if everybody figured I sold my G1000 because of the G70...it must be a terrific board.........you know what..it is!!!!!!!!

#201298 - 06/20/07 03:40 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Dnj Offline

Russ.....
Holy Cow!!! Its a ROLAND G70 party!!!!
Good Luck Russ once you set it up you might not need the XB2

#201299 - 06/20/07 06:15 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, congratulations on the G70 as well as all your other equipment!

#201300 - 06/20/07 06:39 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
CONGRATS..... another piece to the arsenal ....
t.

#201301 - 06/20/07 08:44 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Congrats, Russ. I'm sure that you're going to enjoy the G70. Guess Fran loves his too.

Taike

#201302 - 06/20/07 09:45 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Route everything else to a separate output..and leave the VK organ thru the mains into your Leslie etc.

Not if you want any effects... Direct Outs are exactly what they say. No effects, no MFX, no Mastering Tools.

Just a bit TOO much to give up for a Leslie send...

#201303 - 06/21/07 06:51 AM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
captain Russ Offline

Even if there was a work around, I want to use the XB-2 under my MS-60 (soon, my G-70) on my house job, for sentimental reasons. It feels like old B-3 days...wooden cabinet, real drawbars and the position is right for left-hand bass. Real doppler is best for me. The simulators are getting better, but aren't really there, yet, at least for me.Bought the XB-2 about 10 years ago, and it's had minimal use (maby 12 jobs).

On one nighters, it's a different story. Will probably use the Midjay and a 9 pound controller for most (hey, I'm OLD and weak!).

the change-up in equipment from night to night keeps things interesting.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-21-2007).]

#201304 - 06/23/07 06:43 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Dnj Offline

Russ....how are you controlling all the Kbs in your rig regarding volume level, etc etc ?

#201305 - 06/23/07 08:27 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Just a bit TOO much to give up for a Leslie send...

Oh my, no! The Leslie IS the sound. Always WAS the sound and always WILL BE the sound.
If you have th eoption - use the real deal. No effects needed. The doplar is all it needs to sizzzzzzle !

#201306 - 06/23/07 10:38 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Oh my, no! The Leslie IS the sound. Always WAS the sound and always WILL BE the sound.
If you have th eoption - use the real deal. No effects needed. The doplar is all it needs to sizzzzzzle !

I would agree if you have a rhythm section, but if you are using your arranger for that (plus other sounds), bone dry everything is a hard pill to swallow for a spinner send... Unless you are in a VERY live room, anyway!

#201307 - 06/24/07 01:22 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
captain Russ Offline

Donny, I'm running all 4 boards into a Mixpad 9 mixer just under the Roland GW-7 on my right hand. That goes into one channel on a Carvin PA head. Then, I line out of the Carvin into a three-channel 100 watt self-contained Carvin with a 12 (main 12's are mounted high on the wall permanently 20-30 feet away-the Carvin is just to the left of the keyboards on the floor for bass and better coverage up front), and line out of that into a small Roland powered monitor on a mike stand. This gives me individual input pads for each board. XB-2 goes into a Motion Sound top Rotor box. Bottom goes into the Carvin 12" three channel.

A Godin nylon string and acoustic double-neck Ovation go directly into the PA as well as two mikes. I sit on a stool in front of the rig to do 2-3 guitar solos a set.

Complicated, I know, but I've been on this job over two years, and everything stays in place. I don't even case the guitars. I just cover the boards, unplug the guitars and turn off the power strips. I sometimes bring in a Zeta Crossover upright to play when a friend who runs the keyboard department of a State University sits in. I plug the Zeta into the self-contained three channel Carvin, and he uses an 88 note controller and my old Yamaha tone generator for grand piano sounds.
If this fellow brings his drummer and bass player after a local job, I switch to an L-5 or Parker fly through a Fender Super Champ, lined out into a PA channel.

Lots of friends come buy to sit in, and I can accomodate almost anything that comes along this way,including horn players (what fun!) with the addition of a spare mike or two.

That's it!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-24-2007).]

#201308 - 06/25/07 09:44 AM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I'll order a bag and 7 note foot pedal from George tonite Regards, Russ

To be honest, especially with all those sliders sticking up like that, I wouldn't recommend a bag. Get a hard case, if you can. Sooner or later....

#201309 - 06/25/07 11:15 AM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Donny, I'm running all 4 boards into a Mixpad 9 mixer just under the Roland GW-7 on my right hand. That goes into one channel on a Carvin PA head. Then, I line out of the Carvin into a three-channel 100 watt self-contained Carvin with a 12 (main 12's are mounted high on the wall permanently 20-30 feet away-the Carvin is just to the left of the keyboards on the floor for bass and better coverage up front), and line out of that into a small Roland powered monitor on a mike stand. This gives me individual input pads for each board. XB-2 goes into a Motion Sound top Rotor box. Bottom goes into the Carvin 12" three channel.

A Godin nylon string and acoustic double-neck Ovation go directly into the PA as well as two mikes. I sit on a stool in front of the rig to do 2-3 guitar solos a set.

Complicated, I know, but I've been on this job over two years, and everything stays in place. I don't even case the guitars. I just cover the boards, unplug the guitars and turn off the power strips. I sometimes bring in a Zeta Crossover upright to play when a friend who runs the keyboard department of a State University sits in. I plug the Zeta into the self-contained three channel Carvin, and he uses an 88 note controller and my old Yamaha tone generator for grand piano sounds.
If this fellow brings his drummer and bass player after a local job, I switch to an L-5 or Parker fly through a Fender Super Champ, lined out into a PA channel.

Lots of friends come buy to sit in, and I can accomodate almost anything that comes along this way,including horn players (what fun!) with the addition of a spare mike or two.

That's it!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-24-2007).]

Russ kool set up for sure.....any pics?

#201310 - 06/25/07 12:16 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
captain Russ Offline

Donny, I won't have my G-70 until next week. I haven't installed my two new Rolands...waiting until I get the new one. Right now, I'm using the XB-2, the MS-60, an old Yamaha tone generator and a controller on that house job... Not sure how long the learning curve on the 3 Rolands will be, but I plan to install the new set-up in early September. Then, I'll have two permanent set-ups, plus the B and Suitcase at the Country Club. My "one-nighter" rig will be a Midjay and controller. I'll report on progress every once in a while. Dave saw part of the old set-up when he was here between Christmas and New Year.

R.

#201311 - 06/25/07 01:18 PM Re: G-70....ME, TOO!
Dnj Offline

Ok Russ I wish you well on your new rig.....looks like you got some home work to do but in the end it should all work out fine ....thats what makes it fun!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online