SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#200938 - 04/06/02 07:33 PM very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida

#200939 - 04/06/02 07:46 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hmmm. Ok I admit it, I am somewhat curious. Has it been released yet and if so how much is the going price ? Has anyone heard or tried one yet ?

Korg AJ

#200940 - 04/06/02 08:56 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Will Genesys include synth and sampler?

#200941 - 04/07/02 08:42 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Is this an arranger? no refference was made to having any styles.
Mario

#200942 - 04/07/02 11:17 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Maximo Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Yes it is an arranger with 200 styles.
But it's ugly, very ugly.
I'm wondering if amongst all the things it does at GEM are trying to figure it out how can this Genesys can make coffee too.
Come on, it's a ripped off KB a bit from Korg, a bit from Yamaha, a bit from Roland thats why it's so ugly and the sounds God knows how it will sound. It's to havy even to just take it home from the KB shop! Sorry I didn't meant to be mean and I don't want to offend GEM players or whoever likes the GEM styles and sounds, I'll be waiting maybe 10 more years before I'll consider to buy a GEM keybord, maybe by that time will be slimmer and lighter and it will contain something not ripped off from other keyboards.

Maximo

#200943 - 04/07/02 12:02 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
sk880user Offline

Maximo,

The features that Genesys has are the features we asked for it. So ultimately, we, the customers, are to be blamed for these features. Some of them could have been adapted from other keyboards, but many others are new. For example, all flash memory is very new.

I personally vote that Casio is the most beautiful looking keyboards, but this is clearly not an indication of features and quality.

The real concern is with daily live performers who prefer a lighter keyboard. But otherwise, I submit to you, that this the ultimate keyboard for now. But in the future, there will be lighter versions. If this is the case, there is no point of shopping around. Just go and pick up one of those new keyboards and start making music.

#200944 - 04/07/02 02:03 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Gem is usually two years ahead on the competition.
None of the features are coming from other brands, their earlier wk series have everything yamaha/roland/solton came later with.
Still today there's no arranger which can beat the sequencer f.i.
The styles is a matter of taste.

As the genesys is completely renewed in all aspects I would not be surprised if this board beats any arranger on the market today.

It should be available end of may in europe and somewhere in june in usa..

#200945 - 04/07/02 08:02 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
GEM Genesys is also marketed as Solton SG-1. Check out http://www.mira-multimedia.de/Ketron/neuheitenmesse02/sg1.pdf

Henry

[This message has been edited by Henry01 (edited 04-07-2002).]

#200946 - 04/07/02 08:53 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
sk880user Offline

AHA,

Thanks for the link. It actually answers my above questions. Yes, genesys has all of the above.

Now, that answers when my friends who strongly insisted that GEM makes ketron keyboards, at least the most vital important parts.

Thanks

#200947 - 04/07/02 09:34 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
SK880user,

Solton is a distributor in Germany that sells GEM and Ketron products. And they put their name "Solton" on both GEM and Ketron products. What you see in the link above is a GEM Genesys with Solton's private label SG-1 on it. Ketron is NOT Solton; and Solton is NOT Ketron. Ketron is the manufacturer that makes SD1, X1, XD9 etc. Ketron does not make the Genesys!

Henry

[This message has been edited by Henry01 (edited 04-08-2002).]

#200948 - 04/08/02 08:37 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
sk880user Offline

Thanks

#200949 - 04/08/02 10:01 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
Just wanna add my thoughts to those who doesn't like the size and look of it. First of all, I think it looks good, not ugly at all.
Now about the size. With the fatures it has now I think the size can not be smaller.
Personally, and I'm sure there are other musicians out there like me, who need an all-in-one workstation to make music IN THE SRTUDIO. I do NOT do gigs and I don't care about the size at all (not always the size matters hehe). What I care is a product with the right features for me and looks like genesys gonna make it for me. I know that the sequencer is the best on all GEM arrangers. This feature is VERY important to me and it beats all competitors on that. Let's see about the price though. I hope it won't be more than $3000.

The only thing I don't like is a CD burner. I have a good one in my studio and looks like I'll be paying for the feature I don't need. I hope they'll make a model without it for users with CD burners.

Anyway, that was my opinion

------------------
New Yorker

#200950 - 04/08/02 10:04 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
New Yorker Offline

I just looked at SG-1 and looks like the burner IS an option for sg-1, which is good to me. I wonder if the features are the same on genesys and sg-1. Like polyphony for example. I'm disappointed that sg-1 has "only" 64... I hope Genesys will have 128.

------------------
New Yorker

#200951 - 04/08/02 01:51 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
vic83 Offline

I wish so badly that they would put a joystick for the pitch in the genesys instead of the wheel thing .

#200952 - 04/08/02 02:28 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Vic,
I totally agree with you. I wish Yamaha would do this too. When will they learn that a wheel does not provide the full level of control as a joystick does... This really applies to guitar sounds. The wheel limits the player a great deal...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#200953 - 04/08/02 03:57 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Maximo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:

The only thing I don't like is a CD burner. I have a good one in my studio and looks like I'll be paying for the feature I don't need. I hope they'll make a model without it for users with CD burners.

[/B]

I wish you will put together your thoghts, in this message you sayd that the only things you don't like about the Genesys is the CD burner and then later you sayd that also you don't like the fact that is only 64 notes polyphony you would like it with a 128 notes polyphony. And now I already count 2 things you don't like about the Genesys, and I'm sure when we will know more about this keyboard we'll discover more things we don't like about it.

I have an Idea for you, why don't you just make your own Genesys including all the featers you need? Can we just talk in this forum about keyboard and such without writing down such a negative judgments and statements? People makes keyboard know what we talk about better then us and if they don't includes some features it's because making keyboard is not an Art such as playing them, it is BUSINESS. Nothing personal New Yorker, but there are some other way to say things that doesn't sound like you are looking this keyboard and who makes them from the above such as a "GOD".

#200954 - 04/09/02 06:59 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
New Yorker Offline

Maximo, I am not sure you understand English.
I strongly suggest you read my posts again cause I have no clue what the hell are you talking about.

P.S. nothing personal, just facts.

------------------
New Yorker

#200955 - 04/09/02 06:07 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Maximo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:

I just looked at SG-1 and looks like the burner IS an option for sg-1, which is good to me. I wonder if the features are the same on genesys and sg-1. Like polyphony for example. I'm disappointed that sg-1 has "only" 64... I hope Genesys will have 128.
[/B]

This are both your quote, aren't they?
I'll probably have some problem with my English since I'm Italian but even though you are American you still write without understand what you're writing about.

You wish it will be 128 polyphony and is not. You wish didn't have a CD burner cause you already own a good one, you wish it wouldn't be more expensive that $3000. This is what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You wish that this Genesys will be like you want it to be. And plus, let me tell you, since we ITALIAN are all over the world known as great people with design and taste culture, this KB is UGLY and you don't have any taste, and don't tell me that taste is a personal thing because my 4 years old nephiew when he saw the picture of the KB he tought it was a bent (in V shape) old radio from the 60's. But still you would go for it! I guess it can be a great toy for someone like you that plays at home with some friends to have fun. Nothing personal, just the fact!

Maximo

#200956 - 04/09/02 07:01 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
vic83 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximo:
This are both your quote, aren't they?
I'll probably have some problem with my English since I'm Italian but even though you are American you still write without understand what you're writing about.

You wish it will be 128 polyphony and is not. You wish didn't have a CD burner cause you already own a good one, you wish it wouldn't be more expensive that $3000. This is what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You wish that this Genesys will be like you want it to be. And plus, let me tell you, since we ITALIAN are all over the world known as great people with design and taste culture, this KB is UGLY and you don't have any taste, and don't tell me that taste is a personal thing because my 4 years old nephiew when he saw the picture of the KB he tought it was a bent (in V shape) old radio from the 60's. But still you would go for it! I guess it can be a great toy for someone like you that plays at home with some friends to have fun. Nothing personal, just the fact!

Maximo

hey Maximo,
it was just his opininon you know.I too wish the keyboard were 128 polyphony scince Yamaha and Roland are doing that and also it helps creating good complex sounds without runing out of polyphony.that helps this keyboard to be actully your "Studio".about the Cd burner thing,I never mind that.there is always the computer way to burn your music.so if it's there, how nice.if it's not, oh well.just opinions and nothing more.that actully helps making a great keyboard and an easer all in one keyboard!.

just my two cents

------------------
Vic:)

#200957 - 04/09/02 07:06 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
vic83 Offline

About the look.it's an opinion thing too.you will actully find all newer arranger keyboards trying to have that way of look since this type of keyboards are usally bought for home use(according to alot of sales men).so therfor they are trying ot make it shaped the best for Studio feeling.

------------------
Vic:)

#200958 - 04/09/02 07:12 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I saw the Genesys at NAMM in California .
It's a BIG keyboard . VERY BIG !

dano

#200959 - 04/09/02 08:00 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximo:
Yes it is an arranger with 200 styles.
But it's ugly, very ugly.
I'm wondering if amongst all the things it does at GEM are trying to figure it out how can this Genesys can make coffee too.
Come on, it's a ripped off KB a bit from Korg, a bit from Yamaha, a bit from Roland thats why it's so ugly and the sounds God knows how it will sound. It's to havy even to just take it home from the KB shop! Sorry I didn't meant to be mean and I don't want to offend GEM players or whoever likes the GEM styles and sounds, I'll be waiting maybe 10 more years before I'll consider to buy a GEM keybord, maybe by that time will be slimmer and lighter and it will contain something not ripped off from other keyboards.

Maximo

Reagrding your comments about New Yorker's opinion...
Sounds a lot like the pot calling the kettle black...IMHO...

#200960 - 04/10/02 08:10 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
New Yorker Offline

Guys, thanks for supporting me here, but you need to ignore Maximo and talk on the subject, which is Genesys. I don't care what he thinks or his nephew's opinion on a keyboard. Looks someome need professional help in a few areas. Anyway:

The point here is:

1. There are people who do NOT need CD burner in arranger, 'cause they have it already and it pointless to pay for some xtra features that you don't need.
2. Bulky and heavy? Well, I think Genesys was developed toward studio musicians. Simple as that.
3. It is 21st century now (hello???), it's about time to have 128 polyphony as a standard on all PRO arrangers.

------------------
New Yorker

#200961 - 04/10/02 09:52 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Maximo Offline

The last few message were exactly what I was expectecting from you guys.

Everyone helped New Yorker, because is a friend and let's just give back some Sh*t to Maximo, isn't the way how everything works in this forum?

You guys didn't get my point. Oh well!

If you didn't care about my opinion you shouldn't even answer in the first place.
That to me already means that I was right with what I wrote at least for some part.

It's so easy when everyone agree to a sobject, what I was trying to do is make the conversation a little more spycie.

Maximo

#200962 - 04/10/02 10:30 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just comment (speculate) on the keyboard and leave personal attacks for lesser individuals. I think the keyboard is too heavy for me, but there would be no way to make an objective decision without seeing and personally playing the finished product.
I don't care if one person thinks it's ugly, or another person doesn't need the CD burner, but I respect each of their rights to say so, if they feel the need to.
This forum is for helping each other understand and appreciate arranger keyboards, not for personal criticism of others. That's one thing that's always make it unique, and I for one want to see it remain the exception that it is.
DonM

#200963 - 04/11/02 01:38 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
BlueSuede Offline

DonM; Amen!

Regards, Michael

#200964 - 04/11/02 09:00 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Hey, Id never buy this thing in a million years. It has built in speakers, why waste space on a synth for speakers, when im just gonna blow em out anyway? Polyphony... My synth is only 10 voices, and i can garenttee it sounds better, has better bass, easier to synthesize, and doesn't even have built in speakers. I might not be able to bust out 128 different notes at once, but who wants to clog up sound space with so much $h*t anyways. Don't waste your time with Arranger KBs.
As for the Italians, they don't know Jack when it comes to electronics, does anyone remember the OB-12? yeah they might have a rich legacy of talented artist in italy, but they can't design a good sounding synth.

#200965 - 04/11/02 09:41 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by optinone:
Don't waste your time with Arranger KBs.

I am afraid that you are on the wrong Forum.
Andrea
(italian and proud to be one)

#200966 - 04/11/02 09:41 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Bluezplayer Offline

It appears that another poor misguided soul has mistakenly wandered into the forum and is doing a perfect imitation of a deer stuck in the headlights.

#200967 - 04/11/02 10:07 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Optinone: This forum is for grown-ups. It is for people who can read the title "Arranger Keyboard Forum".
We are always glad to have new people, but if you can't contribute something positive, just read the posts, shake your head, and say to yourself "those poor, ignorant, misguided souls".
DonM

#200968 - 04/11/02 10:11 AM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
Bluezplayer Offline

Another point. We discuss what we like and don't like here because this is an arranger forum, open to any type of discussion about arranger keyboards, get it Maximo ? There is no censorship here and if members want to discuss any related topic, no matter how fruitless or pointless of an exercise YOU make think it is, so be it, and I suspect they will discuss what they wish anyway over your strongest objections. You may or may not be are aware of it but representatives of the major manufacturers DO monitor this and other forums, whether they choose or choose not to respond publicly to what is said here. Do you think that maybe, just MAYBE it's possible that they might take into account a little of what their customers are saying when they make upgrades to operating systems and future keyboards ?

I can't take everything here I read as Gospel, but I do get a better idea of what to look for or for what I might like or dislike about certain keyboards based on the comments about them here, positive and negative.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-11-2002).]

#200969 - 04/11/02 04:24 PM Re: very ugly but intresting...Genesys...
sk880user Offline

Dear optinone,

There are some uses for synths/workstations/arranger keyboards that have speakers. My sk880 keyboard does not have speakers and there is use for that. However, my next keyboard will have speakers. I can take it any place, hook it up and start playing for fun. I missed that. Everytime, I need to play, I need to carry the keyboard, carry the two powered monitors, hook up the monitors,... you get the drill. While with keyboards that have speakers, I can simply turn it on and just play. As a musician, I do not just play when I want to record or perform professionally. I play the instrument for fun.

You are right. Having more polyphony does not imply that you have better sounds. But try to sequence a 16-track song with 10 polyphony synth? It will not do it. Furthermore, many single sounds require multiple polyphony each to become better quality. Have you tried to arrange a complex song? Have you ever considered looking into a classical symphony piece with multiple instruments? They sound good although they use many instruments. Extra polyphony alows you to orchrestrate and arrange brilliant complex arrangments. Between you and me, I believe that performances which consist of electric guitar, bass guitar, drums, and one generic synth in the background, can be better arranged if more instruments are added to it. Of course, you will need more musicians,......... or an arranger keyboard.

Concerning Itallian manufacturers, there are two companies GEM and Ketron. In my humble opinion, these two companies make some of the best keyboards in the market. I personally like GEM very much and I use their keyboards. Now Genesys is promising to be the best sounding keyboard ever and it is an arranger keyboard. So maybe after all, you really need to consider arranger keyboards if you want to get the best sounds.

I realise that many are skeptical of arranger keyboards. I have no problem with keeping a good thing a secret. As long as companies target my needs, I do not try to sell my way of music.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online