SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#200123 - 04/11/02 09:50 PM A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Hi guys,

I just bought a used Live sound system that included (what I remember anyway)

-Fender (AMP A, AMP B) 600W power amp
-Fender 16 Channel mixer (dual effects, dual equalizer, and other functions)
-6 Shure Mics SM58's
-2 Fender 15" Speakers
-1 Fender Powered Monitor (300W)
-Another 300W power Amp (QSC)
-5 Mic Stands with BOOM
-AKAI 3CD , Dual Deck stereo (or is KAWAI? )
-Mic, Instrument and Speaker Cables
-SHURE Mic QG something...($169 brand new)
-Mixer, Power amp, and second power amp are all cased up.

When I went home, the package was missing the SHURE QG MIC and one BOOM Stand and the second Speaker cable. On top of that the Mixer has some channels that the volume slides on them make noise when moved (especially if there is sound going through). Its like a broken wire or something, very bad noise, and the worse part is the Master Volume slides have that problem as well.

I got the deal for $1500 (the system is over 5 years old), but the guy said if its missing something or something does not work right, he is willing to work with me and drop the price some. How much should I get him to drop?

I want to make sure that the problem on those volume slides is fixable other wise I will return the entire package. So considering the SHUR MIC , Cable, BOOM STAND, and FIXING the Mixer, what should I negotiate ON?

Thanks.

#200124 - 04/11/02 09:56 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Really I originally wanted to ask, is the problem on the mixer something I can fix? or is it better to take it to a technician? I am handy on fixing things on my keyboards but I never messed with Sound Equipment (this is my first system).

Also if someone knows exactly what type of equipment I have, can you explain how to hook things up? I want to confirm that the way I did it is the right way and that its not whats causing the mal function in the mixer (even though I doubt that cause certain channels work just fine).

The mixer has AMP A in and AMP B in, and it also has MONITRO OUT AND MAIN OUT L AND R. The POWER AMP (600W) HAS AMP A SPEAKER OUTPUT JACKs (2 quarter inch jacks) and AMP B SPEAKER OUTPUT JACKs. The way I got sound is by taking AMP A OUT (from the AMP) to one of the Speakers (I only operated one speaker to test), then I took AMP B OUT (from the AMP) to the AMP A IN on the mixer. Can someone advise if this is correct? If I want to hook up the other speaker how do I do so? Am I getting full power by doing this? or is this only giving me half the power?

Thanks all

#200125 - 04/11/02 10:47 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Mosiqaar,
Sounds like your slides are dirty!
Slids are very good at getting dirty!
Their open and dirt can easily get down in them. You will have to clean them.
Do they sound like static when you move them?
The problem is that people don't keep a dust cover on them, as much as they could, this would help a lot. If you got the right kind of cleaner you could spray them and move them back forth maybe 9 or 10 times, they will probably clear up.
I've did it on a lot of a lot of electronic devices when I was in the repair busness.
But that's a pretty expensive piece, you could go inside, but those slides are closed controls. So you might as well clean them from the top!
Go to Radio Shack or some place like that and tell them what you want to clean. Just try one at first when you spray in the slide groove, work your slide back & forth several times,. That cleaner will all evaperate.
Turn the power off while your cleaning,if it's poping a lot.
Hope this helps.
Nobby
PS: Be careful with that hookup, it don't
sound right! Without the proper load you could burn up a output transister! But I'm to tired to think.
I'll try to get back with you tomorrow!
Good Night,
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-12-2002).]

#200126 - 04/11/02 11:09 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thank you very much NOBBY.

I will look for a cleaner, but do you happen to know a cleaner name or brand?

Also please get back with me on the hook before I do burn something.

Thanks

#200127 - 04/12/02 12:33 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
"Chemtronics" PR Contact Cleaner II

is a suitable product available in the UK.

#200128 - 04/12/02 12:37 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thanks Macallcock , I will check if we have it in USA.

#200129 - 04/12/02 05:05 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The price you paid is VERY fair .... if everything works. I wouln'nt worry about the missing items, because you got more than your money's worth - HOWEVER, I would ask that the seller reimburse you for a trip to the shop to "clean & service" the mixer. I'm not sure(shure?) about that missing mic model, but with all you got ..... it's stilla deal. I'd be happy if the seller took care of the repair, and maybe threw in that missing speaker cable too.
Don't split hairs about the mic unless it's really important to you. The 6 SM58's are worth almost $500 by them selves. You got a great deal .... if it works.

#200130 - 04/12/02 05:48 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I spent 10 years servicing organs and amps. You probably won't believe this but WD-40 works as well as anything for noisy volume controls. Just stick the red tube by the slider and give it a good shot. Then work the slider up and down fast about 10 to 20 times. I would purchase contact cleaner for dirty key contacts or relays but for noisy pots WD-40 works great.

Tom

Tom

#200131 - 04/12/02 06:21 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Be VERY careful about the way you hook it up. Generally Amp A output will go to one of the mains, Amp B output to the other main. You will find a monitor out on the board and this can be connected to your powered monitor.
The extra power amp can be used for another monitor system or . . .?
I don't think you should run Amp B output to the power amp input. It MIGHT give you a bunch of power for mono use, but it might be very dangerous. Find an experienced sound person in your area to show you the various ways you can configure your new system. Do this BEFORE you experiment.
DonM

#200132 - 04/12/02 08:33 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Be VERY careful about the way you hook it up. I don't think you should run Amp B output to the power amp input

YES !!! YES !!! YES !!!

This is MOST important. Never connect the output of one amp to the input of another unless you are SURE that the connections are correct. If it's a speaker output, it will be like connecting two garden hoses from two faucets and turning the water on full blast, from both ends. BURST / SPLASH !!!
BIG, big trouble, my friend.

Only "LINE" outs, or "PRE"amp outs can feed another amp input. Please be sure before you try any of this.

#200133 - 04/12/02 09:16 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Mosiqaar,
At amp "A" you have 2 outputs 1/4" plugs this is for your Right & Left, main speakers!
The Second "B" amp is as Don has said. Its for unpowered monitor speakers! The other monitor output is for powered moniters. I don't know the output power of amp "B" but it's not nearly as powerful as amp "a"! If your not using Amp "B" you should keep it shut down as you have know load on it! I don't really know this piece!
It may have a sw. to shut the amp down. Both the A&B Amps when used should always both Right & left speakers plugged in, because they are in paralel with each other. If you just plug in one speaker
you get a bad empedance match! Over loadl the the amp somewhat! I wouldn't.
Word of advice: Get you a dust cover, even a towel would work til you find one & don't let to many people get their hands on it!
Sorry for rattleing on so long
Good luck with it! Sounds like a winner!
You'll get it to workin' right, hang in there!
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

#200134 - 04/12/02 07:17 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thank you all for the replies...here is more info about my equipment so I can help you help me set it up correctly:

-The mixer is a Fender PX2216D Powered Mixer (on the paper it says 330W). It has alot of inputs but two of them happen to say AMP A IN and AMP B IN.
-There is a power amp FENDER PX2200 in the same casing that says (600W), but all that has in it is 4 quarter inch inputs. 2 say AMP A Speaker output jacks, and the other two say AMP B Speaker output jacks.
-I have another SEPERATE AMP in a totally different case, which is the QSC, and I have not touched that yet.
-Two L&R 15" Fender Speakers
-One Powered (300W) Powered Monitor

So AMP A and AMP B are really just two labels on the same AMP, which is mounted right next to the Mixer but they don't seem to be connected anyhow!

Now knowing the exact models does anyone have a better idea on how to hook it up? Unfortunately the seller had no paper work what so ever.

UD, I know I got a good deal, but he offered to discount anything missing . The Missing mic is a SHURE BG3.1 Dynamic MIC. Any ideas?

Nobby, actually both the Mixer and PowerAMP are in an SKB molded Case so it can be totally covered.

Thank you all for the input, to me dealing with live sound is almost like talking chinese (I know very little about it)...I usually hired a sound engineer with his own sound equipement, but now I am getting more business and thought I can save alot doing it myself (other than the fact that I will gain knowlege).

Thanks again all.

Oh Tom, I have WD-40....I will give it a shot, thanks , but does anyone recommend opening the the mixer or just sticking that little pipe in and spray it?

Thanks

#200135 - 04/12/02 07:19 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

SORRY MADE A TYPO, THE POWERD MIXER SAYS 300W NOT 330W.

Off the subject here but how can you edit, delete ur posts?

#200136 - 04/12/02 09:57 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Click on the third icon from the left, top row (and I am not talking about the sequencer).

#200137 - 04/13/02 10:55 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thank you Tom Cavanaugh...WD-40 is a winner. Thanks alot for the suggestion, no more noises on my volume slides.

OK GUYS I MAY SHOW ALOT OF IGNORANCE BY SAYING THIS, THE MIXER AND THE POWER AMP HAVE NO ATTACHMENTS BETWEEN THEM WHAT SO EVER EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THEY ARE SITTING IN TWO BOXES OF THE SAME CASE. POWERING THE AMP ON, POWERS THE MIXER ON AS WELL!!!!!! FURTHER MORE, ALL I HAD TO DO IS PUT A CABLE FROM THE POWER AMP OUTPUT INTO THE SPEAKER AND IT WORKS. HOW IN THE WORLD IS THE MIXER CONNECTING TO THE AMP, PLEASE TELL ME BEFORE I START BELIEVING IN MAGIC!

#200138 - 04/13/02 10:57 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You must be overlooking the inputs into the power amp. I seriously doubt it is cordless!
Don

#200139 - 04/13/02 01:57 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Mosiqarr
Yes-You sure got a good buy on your total
system.
Yes-Im sure your unit has a large multiwire
connecting cable running from the mixer to the PA. No you can't see it-it is located in the frame of the box that surroundes the mixer & PA amp. If you took out the screws
that holds the mixer into its box,and lifted the mixer panel out of the box, you would see how the cable runs from the mixer to the PA. You can go to the search engine 'Google'
and type in 'Fender, Model #' of your unit-
I saw a business listed that can supply an operating manual/schematics-I'm sure this would help you understand how to operate your
system. Does your mixer have pan pots?. I believe I've used a similar system. With your pan pots set to midway (12 oclock) you will send a equal signal from the channel in use to both amps. If you had stereo outs from a keyboard, you would 'pan' one output to the right, the other to the left for a stereo effect. You can also pan your used channels to one amp-and use the other amp for a monitor amp. I'm sure if you had the operating manual for your unit or someone experienced on this board to show you the 'in's and out's' of it-it would all come 'clear' to you in short order!

#200140 - 04/13/02 11:15 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thanks Don and Gord....

Don I think what Gord is saying makes more sense, the only place I did not check is within the "wood" (or what ever it is) that holds the mixer and AMP. The mixer even tilts up to about 45 Degrees, and I still see no wires what so ever connecting the two. It really is very strange! I will eventually take it apart just to see how they are connected.

Gord, yes I already went to google and found that place that sells those manuals, but I only found one for the AMP circuitry, which won't help me much...I would like to get a manual for the MIXER which is the PX2216D model by Fender. I looked for hours on the net last night and only found one Russian site that has a picture of it and talks in Russian about , so I did not get a word.

I ended up connecting AMP A Jack to left speaker and AMP B jack to the right Speaker (this is one AMP we are talking about with two outputs A and B). I also have the powered monitor, which I have not tried to connect yet. As far as the third sepeare QSC amp, I am not sure how to use it, but where I would use is is to push more power into my mixer (some kind of serial connection with my other amp).

If anyone knows a place or has the manual for this mixer I would greatly appreciate a copy of it.

Gord yes I do have pan.

One quick question guys...I have "SOLO" button for each channel, and I have an "INSERT" Jack for each channel. What are those?

Thanks

#200141 - 04/14/02 07:20 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Uncle Dave Offline

The "solo" button will send THAT channel to the headphone jack, so you can listen to just 1 thing at a time. This is useful when trying to isolate a problem, such as feedback or distortion.
The "insert" jacks are stereo (R-T-S) and with the proper cable, you can directlt patch and outboard processor or effect into THAT channel only. This is most often used for compressors or dedicated effects.
I had one of those Fender boards, and it sure was loaded with features. The size/weight ratio left me in the cold, but for a band or a permanent set-up ..... it's hard to beat.

#200142 - 04/14/02 08:39 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
WD40....you learn something every day!

#200143 - 04/14/02 08:54 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Gord Offline

Mosiqaar
The Fender Px2200 series mixers schematics/owners manual are available at-
http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/servicefaq.html

With your Fender mixer cover removed, tilt the mixer 45 degrees and you will see a slot on each side of the outer case, between the mixer and the amp. Slide the cover into these two slots-this now becomes the 'support'for a 'table'. The frame & the cover now become an 'X' shaped table for the mixer. Neat rig-just heavy as Uncle Dave has said. With regard to your 'extra' amp. Once you figure out the switching (in's and out's
of your mixer board)You could (a)-Switch in this amp for one of your Fender amps-if you had a failure. (b) Purchase a couple of good
monitor speakers for your 'extra' amp to have extra monitor coverage on a wide stage.(c)Use a line out on the mixer to feed the 'Extra' amp-feeding a couple of 'extra' PA speakers-for wider PA coverage (works ok if you have to set up on the side of a long room).Correction-try this site http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/manuals.html

[This message has been edited by Gord (edited 04-14-2002).]

#200144 - 04/16/02 07:32 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thanks UD and Gord, for the explanations.

Gord, that would be cool if I can stand that mixer on its own, cause right now I am using one of my keyboard (quick lock, double tear) stands, and that was the one I used for gigs. Now I am taking out my ultimate, which is heavier to carry around.

One note, it turns out the power amp that has the A and B, is actually 600W per channel a total of 1200W (I was excited to read that on the back of my amp).
Also my powered monitor is 300W, and I think the QSC amp is like 200W per channel (not sure about that yet).

I hooked up the powered monitor and it works fine.
I have also been able to use the effects processors with my mic.
I guess I will purchase that manual and figure it all out the right way.

Thank you all for the help.

#200145 - 04/18/02 03:36 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Gord, I want to say thanks...I was able to do what you said concerning using the cover as a stand for the mixer, and it really looks cool. Thanks alot. Now I can use my keyboard stand for my keyboard again .

You seem to know exactly what I have, do you?

#200146 - 04/18/02 10:15 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Gord Offline

Hi Mosiqaar
A group I've been involved with used either the same board -or some model close to yours.
It had an intermittent on one amp. Because I am a Electronic Tech., I took it home to check out the problem. When I lifted the mixer out of its case, I noticed a clip-in fuse in the power supply section had one end of it just resting on the fuse holder. I snapped it back in-end of intermittent problem. When I was working on it, I recall the multi-pair cable running in the outer case to the power amp. Thats why you can't see the connection between the mixer and the power amp. When we went to a hall for set up,
if a small table was available, we just laid
the mixer amp on the table, removed the lid,and began our setup. The lid as part of a 'X'table works fine, but an 'extra' small table in the hall is quicker. I don't recall having any manual/schematics around when I had the intermittent problem-so I don't have
any other info on your unit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online