SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1 - 03/30/02 06:58 AM Analog Synth Parameter ..... help
Breaka Offline

Hello.

I have an analog synth and I would like some insight on what exactly each parameter shapes.
I would like to shape my own sounds on the synth but do not know what value to change in order to get a certain sound.
LFO, Oscillator, Frequency and so on.

Anything help would be appreciated. A general overview or a detailed description. Thanks in advance

-Breaka

#2 - 03/30/02 01:46 PM Re: Analog Synth Parameter ..... help
Soft Machine Offline

Have you tried searching the internet?

#3 - 03/30/02 01:47 PM Re: Analog Synth Parameter ..... help
Soft Machine Offline

Have you tried searching the internet?

#4 - 03/30/02 02:06 PM Re: Analog Synth Parameter ..... help
tekminus Offline

Which synth is it? Not that it would matter, just curious.

#5 - 03/30/02 08:39 PM Re: Analog Synth Parameter ..... help
Breaka Offline

Its a Sequential Circuits Six Trak.

And where better to search the internet than on a SYNTH bbs ????

#6 - 03/31/02 01:07 AM Re: Analog Synth Parameter ..... help
tekminus Offline

Ah the Six track, it all makes sense now. Ok I'll write this down. NOTE: This might help you all with your digital synths too.

LFO - You modulate other things with this. A slow LFO setting, modulating the Filter Frequency could produce sweeping sounds. LFOs usually have a Waveform selection and sometimes they can go into audible frequencies (a la Minimoog etc.). It stands for Low Frequency Oscillator. On most synths they can't produce sounds.

Osc - Pick a waveform. This is where the sound comes from. Usual waveforms: Triangle, Saw, Square and Sine. Simple synths have less to choose from.

Frequency: I assume you mean the Filter Cutoff frq. The Filter probably has the most dramatic effect on sounds. The Cutoff frq. determines how bright a sound is (together with Osc pitch). If the filter is in Low-pass mode, it will cut frequencies above the Cutoff frq. and so on. Common filter types found on synths are Low-pass, High-pass, Band-pass and Notch (Band-reject).

Resonance (part of the Filter): Resonance emphasizes the Cutoff frq. area. It's also sometimes referred to as Emphasis or Q.

Amp Envelope: The Amp Env determines how fast the attack of the sound is, how long it will decay, sustain and release. The most common type of Envelope is the ADSR Env, but there are other simpler types too.

For a string sound try this: Attack: 300ms, Decay: max, Sustain: max, Release: 2secs.

Remember, moulating things with LFOs, Envelopes and whatever is available, is an important part of soundsculpting. The options vary from synth to synth, for example, some synths have dedicated Envelopes for Filter Cutoff. Digital synths can have an insane amount of Envelopes and LFOs, this usually isn't the case of analogs.

-tek

PS. The Six Trak sounds great, too bad about the interface. Kind of takes out the joy of analog synths. edit: I did not say 600, YUO LIE!!1

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 03-31-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online