SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199672 - 05/19/07 05:29 PM How Do You Evaluate A Player?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
There are three essential traits that I look for in any musician. First and foremost is feeling, usually stemming from a genuine affinity for the blues. I have to be emotionally moved to even get interested. Next up is the intensity of that feeling. All of my favorite artists and influences, regardless of genre, are capable of making a powerful statement with just one or two notes, and that takes a high level of passion and conviction. Harmonic and rhythmic creativity are third on the list, and when the imagination well is deep and combined with the first two ingredients, you have true mastery. The full package.

#199673 - 05/19/07 06:39 PM Re: How Do You Evaluate A Player?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Passion ....really loves music.

Attitude...respect for others, willingness to work and improve.

Talent...I put this one last, because it ain't much good without the first two.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#199674 - 05/19/07 10:21 PM Re: How Do You Evaluate A Player?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My favorite trait in a player is the ability to adapt what they are doing to the players around them. Of course, you can't do this unless listening is more important than playing.

We all know great players, who tend to do the same thing, no matter who they are playing with, or what they are playing... They may play well, but not with others.

Sometimes you have to subjugate your ability, and choose a style and sound that perhaps is less than you would like, but in the surroundings of lesser players, or a simpler music, much more appropriate.

Put a bebop jazz pianist in a country band, and you'll quickly find out if he is a listener, or just a player....

Denying yourself for the good of the tune, or the band is the essence of taste and musicianship, IMO.

#199675 - 05/20/07 12:35 AM Re: How Do You Evaluate A Player?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I evaluate players totally differently depending on what I need them for. For studio work, or for live touring band, or for just pleasure of listening.

The ability to make others seem to sound better than they actually are is key in my work as a studio guy. Can I (or a musician I hire) play a supporting role that actually enhances the perceived ability of the client in the studio?

Gigging: Are they reliable, are they friendly, can they learn fast and accurately? Ironically enough, keyboard players have been my worst problem when it comes to gigging. Just haven't found one I really like. Of course, most of my shows are solo or duet gigs; not many with a full band.

Personally, I do gravitate toward musicians who are masters of their instrument. I'm into technical expertese. Equally as important is creativity. Have they come up with something unique; doesn't have to be ground-breaking, but a reason to listen to them that is unique to them. Brad Paisley is unique, and incredibly gifted on his guitar as well, which would explain why he's my current favorite country artist.

#199676 - 05/20/07 12:38 PM Re: How Do You Evaluate A Player?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
in truth (and unless i am making tongue in cheek comments or being sarcastic) i generally dont evaluate players, i just listen to their work and enjoy it as best i can..after all we are all on the same team... no matter how simple or complex, mistake free or with glitches, we all share a bit of ourselves everytime we perform, and i like to think that when i do, other musicians respect that ethos as well
dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online