SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#198349 - 03/29/05 02:40 AM Anyone using PSR-3000 or Tyros with Cubase?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hi,

I'm just curious how you set it up properly. I've finally got my home studio set back up after moving house, and am trying to figure out how to make my psr-3000 and Cubase like each other!

I'd love to be able to start playing with a style and one-touch settings, and have Cubase record all the different bits onto separate MIDI tracks for editing later. When I set the 3000 to transmit everything onto separate midi chanels, however, everything still gets recorded together.

For example, if I arm a new midi track to record in Cubase set to channel 1, and start a drum pattern going on the 3000. When I record, the drum pattern gets recorded, even though the drums are supposed to be transmitted on channels 9 and 10! If I play it back, it plays the drum pattern using whatever right-hand voice is selected, but if I set the track to channel 9 or 10, it plays back with the correct drum sounds.

Also, and this is really annoying, if I arm several midi tracks together to record, say, channels 1-16 at the same time, every key I press on the 3000 has every sound for all 16 midi channels stacked.

It's going to drive me crazy!!!

Carrie

#198350 - 03/29/05 03:50 AM Re: Anyone using PSR-3000 or Tyros with Cubase?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Carrie,
I don't record many midifiles, but I have seen that if I record a midifile on my Tyros in quick record mode and then load the saved midifile into Cubase (using the import midifile function) the program automatically splits the different channels. This enables me to edit the different tracks at will.
Apparently the Tyros (and the PSR3000) record "0" type midifiles (where all the tracks are recorded together).
I have never tried to record a song from my Tyros to my PC, though.

#198351 - 03/29/05 08:31 AM Re: Anyone using PSR-3000 or Tyros with Cubase?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I've got a Tyros and Cubase SL 2 - they're not hooked up right now, but I'll try to help anyway.

Go to "Devices", select "Midi Device Manager", press "Install Device", select "Yamaha 9000 Pro".

Its not the Tyros, but they're almost identical in their sound format (besides the Megas).

You will now have the 9000 as a MIDI output. Whenever you want to select a sound for a certain chanel, instead of typing in a MIDI control number just scroll through the instrument bank in the "inspector".

What you say is happening should not be happening. Something is programmed wrong somewhere. Check in the MIDI section of your keyboard that everything is broadcasting into the right chanels. Make sure that on Cubase, each track is set to a different chanel. If you want to record multiple channels into one track of Cubase, select "ANY" as the chanel, and when you're finished recording select it and "Bounce" it. This should separate all the chanels into different tracks.

You have to remember as well, that the Cubase doesn't necessarily know which instrument your Tyros is using if it was never sent a bank and program number. Generally if you are using a style, the ty will not have sent those numbers. The reason it works for chanels 9 and 10 is because it is standard for those channels to be always used for drums and percussion.

Try recording one instrument on Cubase. Press record, let it go for a half a sec, then on your keyboard press the instrument you want to use (this should send the bank and program info), then play. When you play it back, it should be using the right sound.

Are you connected thru USB or MIDI? Also make sure you turn on the keyboard BEFORE you launch Cubase. Are you using a crack? That could be the problem as well...

Hope I'm of help,
Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 03-29-2005).]

#198352 - 03/29/05 11:20 PM Re: Anyone using PSR-3000 or Tyros with Cubase?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Dreamer,

Thanks very much for your advice. I remember someone telling me to do that the last time I attempted this...before our house move, months ago. I never got a chance to try it! I will certainly have a go because anything that works is fine by me!

Chony,

Wow, you really came through for me! This version of Cubase - SX 3.0, didn't come with hardly any devices. I still have my old VST and SX 1.0 disks though, so should be able to track down that script for the 9000 pro!

I've been a registered Cubase user for a few years now, and just upgraded from SX 1 to SX 3. It's quite steep learning curve, which is part of my problem I'm sure!

Yes, before trying 16 separate midi tracks set to different channels (1-16), I tried just setting one midi track to 'any'. I got all the instruments stacked on top of each other with that too!

Yes, I realise Cubase doesn't know what sounds I want to use. At this point I'd just be happy as long as I could record ONE sound per MIDI track!

This was soooo easy on my Yamaha CS6x synth. I just went into 'performance' mode, setup a new 16 channel performance with whatever sounds I wanted on each channel. When I armed a track in Cubase ONLY the corresponding sound set to that channel played, which is what you'd expect!

I'm connected with MIDI via my USB Midisport 4x4 interface.

Thanks to both of you for your time! I will certainly try all of your ideas and get back with you!

Carrie

#198353 - 03/30/05 09:55 AM Re: Anyone using PSR-3000 or Tyros with Cubase?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Once again go to the MIDI settings on your keyboard and make sure that you have the right MIDI template. (Even after you turn off your keyboard, it commits the previously selected template to memory - so if you've ever changed it, its still changed.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online