SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#197891 - 10/05/05 12:19 PM What is a reasonable deposit ?
JimP Offline

Loc: Richfield, Ohio USA
I recently ordered a Tyros 2. I checked with four different dealers that I have done business with in the past. There was some but not a huge difference in price from the lowest to the highest (about $200). There was a much larger difference in the deposit required. The deposits required from the four dealers were:

1. $0 (since I was an existing customer)
2. $100
3. $500
4. $1,400

What do you think is a reasonable deposit when ordering a Tyros 2?

#197892 - 10/05/05 12:39 PM Re: What is a reasonable deposit ?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Depends on the dealer and whether they plan on stocking the Tyros2. Back in the early 70s I worked for a piano retailer. Special orders on items that were not part of a what the dealer kept in inventory required a 33% deposit. That was long ago, it wouldn't surprise me if a dealer asked 50% DP today. Earlier this year I purchased a PSR 3k and a few weeks later a CVP 307. I actually bought from the dealer I use to work for. For the 3k I left a $100 DP. For the 307 I gave him $1000.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 10-05-2005).]

#197893 - 10/05/05 12:54 PM Re: What is a reasonable deposit ?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Zero deposit!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#197894 - 10/05/05 05:54 PM Re: What is a reasonable deposit ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hi Jim,

The Tyros 2 is an expensive keyboard to buy.

It's no secret that if you own a business , it takes money to employ people ( I have 5 employees), turn the lights on, pay taxes, insurance, mortage , gas and pay for products.

I sincerely want to thank all customers on this forum, who have trusted me with their deposit and get them a Tyros 2... Wow , I'm delighted That's all I can say !

Take Care..... Dan O'

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 10-05-2005).]

#197895 - 10/05/05 08:31 PM Re: What is a reasonable deposit ?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Jim

Until now, I have NEVER posted a deposit on any keyboard I have purchased. Furthermore, the dealers have never charged my credit card until the item has actually shipped. I think there may even be a law in California about this, but I'm not sure about that.

However, the Tyros2 has yet to be released. So, it seems reasonable to require and advance deposit. But, I personally think that 50% is high. Especially if it's going to be two months until anticipated delivery.

Additionally, I use a credit card that doubles my warranty coverage as a card benefit. This means that any repairs that occur during my second year of ownership could be covered by me credit card. I'm concerned that this "splitting" the cost of the keyboard might affect any potential future claims, should they arise. The credit card company looks at the purchase date and the amount charged for proof.

Tom G.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online