SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#197798 - 09/10/01 01:36 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Firstly I would like to thank everybody and specially Uncle Dave for their comments on this subject.
As Uncle Dave commented, it's a pity not too many seem to care! (38 posts sofar, but only 13 participants)
Afterall we are talking about a future doom scenario if the rest of the world is heading towards the direction Uncle Dave is afraid of.
I agree with Uncle Dave here if that would be the case!
But apparantly it looks like that probably Karaoke is not such a problem in most countries, at least no real threat to professional keyboardists.
Then again how many real pro's are on this bbs? (I mean full time earning their money as musician! - mm.. could be next topic.)

Anyway I think all participants have very valid arguments against Karaoke.
I am glad two europeans (like myselve) commented as well, as we can clearly see the difference between europe and usa.
Uncle Dave, I am living close to Amsterdam and I cannot find ANY Karaoke Bar!
This does not mean it doesn't excist, but it surely is no problem in the Netherlands!
Karaoke in Europe is to my experience (apart for education purposes) only used on private parties and in holliday resorts, which in fact have a private character also.
This immediately brings up another "topic" by the way...
I will post this after I finished my comment.

Then another important difference!
PAYMENT.
The two professional keyboardists I know personally (and they are very good!) and once in a while do a karaoke show, get paid more as they receive on their usual performance! (they have to bring in more gear, and have to talk a lot more, being the showmaster which is another skill.)
Minimum for real pro's for one night deals is between DFL 1500,-- and DFL 2500,--(US $ 600,-- to US $ 1000,--)

I think most of the pro players on this board do both! (keyboardist and showmaster)
If I recall well from other posts with some rates I remember, I think You are VERY UNDERPAYED in USA!

So personally I still think karaoke is no problem, as it is used in other envirements and has it's place.

I would be the last to compare skills or numbers of musicians per country, but indeed as Gunnar claims, musicianship is Not Dead in Europe, it is very much alive!

As solo arr.keyboardist you are the musician, technician, roady, showmaster etc..
So I consider this as one of the toughest jobs in the musicindustry, where you need very special skills to do this.
This is not how it is appreciated by the majority of the public though!

enough said, let's close the topic.

Fred

#197799 - 09/10/01 04:16 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Live & let live & be happy
If you are good enough at whatever you do there is always somebody that will be prepared to pay for the service
look on a karaoke night as being some sought of talent contest
where the owner of a club or whatever the venue knows that he is going to make good money from such a night
now he knows he can supply the backing for the so called up & coming talent by just using tapes/mini disk/cd/smf now there is no way the guy is going to go out & hire himself a band to perform this service, but if he is organising a dinner dance or some other classy function that requires live music then I am sure he will push the boat out.
50s.60s.70s.80s.90s.are decades in the past this is the new millennium & there will be many,many things that we do not like it is one big competitive world we live in & "he who pay's the piper calls the tune"
Johnnie

#197800 - 09/10/01 07:16 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Compromise I often thought of putting words of songs on a screen to allow people sing some !!!! of the songs so I didnt do it yet and I may never but I get great fun at times pointing to my text files on the x1 screen and allowing someone to sing along Especially if they come up to sing and cant get it right. I wonder if this would turn ye on ??

#197801 - 09/10/01 07:51 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
danb Offline

Will this karaoke system integrated on the arr. keyboard has the grading system found on a dedicated karaoke machine? It's funny though that the worst performer got the highest score than the good one. That means that if you're too drunk you've got the highest score.

#197802 - 09/11/01 12:06 AM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
[At the end of the day karaoke is just an improved form of entertainment over the days when you would go to a bar & there would be the obligatory busker on the old piano (play it again Sam) be he a semi-pro or pro, in most instances the only difference is one also has a regular job & plays out & the other plays out .
The busker of old would have to be prepared for the punter drunk or otherwise to request to sing a song with an approach like punter"can you play so & so"pianist "what key do you sing it in" punter "pass" pianist " ok you hum it & I'll play it "
At the end of the performance the busker would congratulate the punter "well done"no matter how bad it was performed. So off goes the punter really pleased with himself with something like move over Sinatra I am on my way. Goes back to the bar buy's another 5 drinks & tells the world the guy on the piano is really great he can play anything.
Now is it really any different today except technology has given us a lot of assistance with the advent of the arr keyboard with auto rhythm & built in harmonies,key change facility,sequencing etc, it goes on. pre recorded backings for karaoke !!! It's all part of the game
So don't let ourselves get carried away.
Johnnie

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online