SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194404 - 11/22/05 08:12 PM Guitars over Keyboards?!
Vadim Offline

i was thinking about this thing for a long time now, here is basic: just looking at music in general, it looks like guitars are taking charge, there were days in 80's when synthesizers were popular in music, now guitars are used in almost any music genre, especially in Rock there are no keyboards used generally in rock. Even looking at styles that are in our keyboards most of the styles have some kind of guitar in them, muted, distortion, 12-string... this gets irritating sometimes, most of the music is guitar-driven, even the music that is keyboard-driven music has guitars in it...

#194405 - 11/22/05 11:11 PM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Well actually guitars have been extremely popular instruments in modern music since the 50s. It's nothing very new. Keyboards do play a big part in modern music. But now they are used for so many other sounds nowadays eg. brass, strings, pads etc it is just not as obvious that a keyboard is being used unless it is a piano, organ or a synthesizer sound.

The band I play in plays classic rock and has 2 keyboards and 2 guitars so the score is even.

#194406 - 11/23/05 07:23 AM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I really don't understand the point of the conversation though? Actually, I think music is all drum driven since you never hear a song without drums! LOL (I'm a drummer too).

Seriously, it's like Peanut butter and Jelly, salt and pepper, wine and cheese, they really complement each other. I wouldn't say one dominates the other. It all depends what type of music you listen to. I hear a lot of Hammond B3 music making a comeback.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#194407 - 11/23/05 07:26 AM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I often hear Hammond B3 sounds on country music.
Starkeeper

#194408 - 11/23/05 09:21 AM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Al!
Do you know what they call those hanging around the musicians after a gig or concert?

Drummers...

Ouch... sorry, just a joke I heard from a friend of mine

With respect and admiration,
Roy-Andre

#194409 - 11/23/05 04:00 PM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Roy,

I love drummer jokes, keep 'em coming!!!

Regards,
Al

Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
Al!
Do you know what they call those hanging around the musicians after a gig or concert?

Drummers...

Ouch... sorry, just a joke I heard from a friend of mine

With respect and admiration,
Roy-Andre

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#194410 - 11/24/05 01:19 AM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
As a keyboard player I wish I could play a guitar properly!

#194411 - 11/24/05 04:36 AM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
As a keyboard player I wish I could play a guitar properly!

Well, I started out on guitar, and wish I could play keyboard better. (Yeah, I know, "practice, practice, practice"). Maybe the answer for me is a MIDI'ed guitar plugged into my keyboards.

--Barry

#194412 - 11/24/05 03:08 PM Re: Guitars over Keyboards?!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by quietDIN:
Maybe the answer for me is a MIDI'ed guitar plugged into my keyboards.

Guitar MIDI control is always a viable choice. I saw Al DiMeola some years ago triggering keyboard sounds over MIDI from his Les Paul. He sounded fantastic, but then again everything Al plays pretty much shines like a diamond. He was using a Roland pickup I think and it tracked just fine to his ferocious playing so I think it would work for all us regular guitar players as well.

Of course guitar players and keyboard players will always play parts differently simply because keyboard players have all 10 fingers available at any time. On the other hand guitars have duplicate notes ie. same pitches but different timbres depending on the strings being used. So one will always be able to play parts that the other can't quite duplicate. That is the wonderful individuality of different musical instruments.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online