SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#194401 - 07/01/06 11:26 AM Re: recording project
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Terry, ALL (3) of your songs sound very clean & professionally polished (studio produced). Perhaps you can share with us what recording steps & methods. Multi-tracking (midijay/VS880), post production techniques on Roland VS880, etc. As always, enjoy listening to your music. - Scott

#194402 - 07/01/06 02:57 PM Re: recording project
tcon Offline

Loc: Pinellas Park.Florida. usa
Hi Scott.Firstly thank you for the kind words.I will go through the process I use.I take the song in midi file format and edit it in the Midjay to my taste.I do the instrument balance panning etc,and choose the drums and instruments from the midjay,s GM soundbanks.I then record the finished midi file to tracks 1&2 into the roland VS880 I RUN THESE TWO TRACKS DRY WITH NO EQ OR EFFECTS.If I am happy with the instrumental balance etc I sometimes will do the vocal track in channel 3 of the vs880 while the instruments are recording. I always record the vocals with the reverb in the roland set at about 75.I find it easier to sing relaxed, with a slightly wet sound.The I record the guitar if I am using one on a particular song.Finally I record the harmonies on however many tracks I need for the amount of lines I am singing.When I am satisfied that I have the right lines I then pan the various vocal tracks and adjust the effects to my taste.I rarely ever use eq on the vocals as I find that the shure beta87a mic has a nice sound .For me at least.The last thing I do,is record the finished song to my Marantze cd burner.I always use a digital cable for this. Unfortunately I don't have a built in CD burner in my vs880.I do have a Zip drive in the vs so I can usually do at least 12 -14 songs in the internal memory of the vs880.When all that is complete I go to my computer and save all the songs to le cool pro. where I do a bit of tweeking.Usually reducing the bottom end and adding a little high end. I usually use the parametric EQ in cool pro for this.I also normalise the songs and crop starts and endings in the cool pro program.When all this is done I then cut the cd using nero.This works for me. I have never spent more than an hour on any song from start to finish.I will listen to the cd in my car and in diferent players on and off for about a week. If I need to change anything I will do it before I start to copy the cds.The vs880 is a nice recorder considering I have had it for about 10 years now,but i am thinking of upgrading to some thing with an onboard cd burner and a hard drive.I would also like to explore the viability of recording direct to computer.Believe it or not my studio is set up in my cloths closet hence my interest in an all in one solution and powered monitors.Space is definately a problem for me.I hope this is informative. Terry

#194403 - 07/02/06 03:01 PM Re: recording project
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Hi Terry. I like to comment on your three songs if I may. The chords are all good, as far as I knew the songs - I never heard of the song "to really love a woman". You sing very well. What makes it very demo-like is the quality of the instruments, something which is not your fault.
The song I didn't know sounded best, because of the guitars. Probably because you use the sound of a fretless bass (that's how it sounds), the definiton of the bass-sound is poor. Maybe you could EQ it. (It might also be due to the mp3 quality).
But I would like to hear you with a real band or at least with an expensive keyboard like the Tyros 2. You deserve it.
The bassline on Clair was very nice. I'd like to hear a ritenuto at the end of Clair. Not just because it is so in the original, but it makes a better finish of the song. Now it seems to end abruptly - do you know what I mean?
drdalet.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online