SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193560 - 08/10/05 01:06 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I kind of liked it, but be aware that this kind of music is totally unknown to me. I know that Hank Williams is/was?? a famous musician and that he has a son of the same name, but I don't know why exactly

I listened through el-cheapo computer speakers at work. I would like to have a little more pronounced drums.
I couldn't hear any bass line but I blame the speakers on this.

I noticed two stutters, one in 1:03 and the one in 1:08
"[stutter]I thought of Elvis, now, what would be his age, And [stutter]I wondered..."
Stuttering just before/while before pronouncing the "I" both times, it is suspicious.

Other than that, looking through all member's comments, I dare say that manic2257's were the most interesting, I would agree.
Theodore

PS listen to the song in your car, have it play while you are in another room making dinner or washing plates, while watching tv etc, you will get a more "casual listener feeling". Oh well you probably you know that already....
Best of luck

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 08-10-2005).]

#193561 - 08/10/05 12:55 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
*** DO-OVER *** NEW *************************

Okay, take #97. I went ahead and started over. As I said, I wanted this more rockabilly anyway. I also have continually worked on the story in the lyric.

Link (TOTALLY NEW STYLE - ROCKABILLY):
Here is the new MP3 (done at 128)

Go to bottom of first page, click on FREE, then at bottom of next page, click on "pagerk3" filename.) It's a site for uploading temporary files, totally free. Recommended by engineers to me, I've been using it, it works great for temp files.

Remember, I don't know what I'm doing. When I imported these tracks (two keyboard tracks, one acoustic guitar track) into Audacity software, the waveform looked fine, no peaks off scale. Then I closed, imported to Krystal software, tweaked e.q. and added a little reverb. Mixed down, there are many short-duration peaks in the waveform that are either off scale or near it. But I'm not sure if hear distortion or not. My ears are tired.

I need to finish this today so I can get it in the hands of 'experts' tomorrow. They will know it's a home demo but I want it good as I can get it. If anyone has any more comments, good or bad, it's greatly appreciated. Regarding fidelity or song or whatever. Thanks.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-10-2005).]

#193562 - 08/10/05 01:32 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill,
Will you email the new lyrics and chords to me.
Thanks,
Don

#193563 - 08/10/05 02:16 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:

Other than that, looking through all member's comments, I dare say that manic2257's were the most interesting, I would agree.
Theodore

PS listen to the song in your car, have it play while you are in another room making dinner or washing plates, while watching tv etc, you will get a more "casual listener feeling". Oh well you probably you know that already....
Best of luck

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 08-10-2005).][/B]

thanks theodore! its nice when someone else is on the same wavelength and i also agree with you in that when you do a recording , listen to it on other gear and in other places..it makes a huge difference.
cheers
dennis

#193564 - 08/10/05 02:24 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
manic2257 Offline

hey bill...i guess it's like someone else mentioned in an earlier post, it depends on how serious you want to get...i still recommend you(and i KNOW this takes time and is a PIA) record each instrument individually and then go and edit each one seperately and then together...this way you get total control over the entire mix, not just pre-set levels eq and panning according to the techs at yamaha.I mean i even go to the trouble of splitting the drum track (whislt still in MIDI form) into the various single intruments and then edit and effect them indivudually, but thats just me....but just editing the "whole arranger mix" in toto doesnt give you the control necessary to get a good mix all the time, albeit its a LOT LOT easier and quicker....as i said depends on how serious you are, and how much time you have...
cheers
dennis

#193565 - 08/10/05 02:27 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Dennis, that's the direction I'm heading but I do not have time right now. Plus, I need some more hardware to do it.

If anyone can listen to the new recording (posted a few posts up) and has an opinion, let me know. Thanks.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#193566 - 08/10/05 02:37 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
manic2257 Offline

hi bill, i have now listened to the new version...hmmmm imho i think it is not an improvement..there is some "whacky" thing going on in the background, sorta like a washboard thing??? very annoying...the bass is way too "boomy".. in my view only of course the vocal, as was the case in the other version, is fine..on the other instruments, the highs are too bright (still a bit "twangy")and there are virtually no mids, so most of the instrumentation is quite thin, and the bottom end is boomy.. did you mix this using headphones or monitors? also if i may ask, what mic are you using? (not for any reason other than curiosity )
cheers
dennis
PS the original version, which i just re-listened to is more interesting to listen to, and prob just needed a bit of "tweaking" rather than a style re-write, although to you it seemed good coz you've prob listened to the earlier one a 1000 times, and to you its now a bit boring??
i have to say that the new version is just a bit too "cheesy" for my taste...just a suggestion, but have you tried, using the original, removing some instruments and backing sounds, as this song is imo led by the story in the vocal, and the vocal itself which "fits" this song beautifully..
just a thought...
dennis
PPS...meant to say this before but it's great to see a songwriter tell their story without necessarily having to rhyme..good job on the lyrics..soz..meant to say that a lot earlier but go sidetracked ..dennis
[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 08-10-2005).]

#193567 - 08/10/05 03:03 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Screw it, I give up.

I am using an Audix OM5 mic. It was mixed using headphones. Cheap ones.

I appreciate help. It is obvious I don't know enough to pull this off for decent recordings. They'll do for work demo's but this one needs to be better than a work demo but I'm running out of time. I could just haul my keyboard and guitar to a studio and do it in one session.

The style might be kinda screwball. I'd bet it's been tweaked.

The acoustic guitar, that's not mic'd, it's using the onboard electronics. Cheap Takamine.

I just imported the original tracks. Two keyboard tracks, one acoustic guitar. Then converted that to mp3 without touching the tracks. Nothing. I have wondered if I'm screwing up the mix worse by messing with e.q. and reverb, etc.

This is that MP3 file . FWIW. Not much, huh.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#193568 - 08/10/05 03:11 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:

i have to say that the new version is just a bit too "cheesy" for my taste.

Hey Dennis, what do you mean this one is cheesy? Are you referring to the music or the lyric? (Again, not offended, just want to know what you mean.) Not that I'll agree with you. But I might.

I did the re-conversion (mp3) of the second version before I saw your comment.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#193569 - 08/10/05 03:19 PM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
manic2257 Offline

hey bill read my PPS on the last post!! and by that i mean good lyrics , you are telling a story which is clear (at least to me !) to the listener, as long as the listener REALLY listens and does'nt just hear..as i have said the vocal is great and does its job properly of leading the song and focusing on the story..the instrumentation however, in some places is destructive rather than enhancing..
cheers
dennis
den

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online