SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193540 - 08/09/05 06:28 AM Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
NOTE: This song has been re-recorded.

Here it is: "PAGING MR. PAGE"

HERE IS ORIGINAL POST:

This song is an original, "Paging Mr. Page" and it's driving me nuts trying to get a recording with good fidelity. All of this was done on psr2000, vocals going through psr2000, no overdubs, recorded on Fostex mr-8, tweaked in Krystal software, converted to mp3 in Dbpoweramp at 192.

I just need to know if there is any clipping or if you hear any distortion. As well as any fidelity comments. Or if you love/hate the song, a comment either way is appeciated.

Paging Mr. Page mp3

(Go to bottom of first page, click on FREE, then at bottom of next page, click on "PAGE8" filename.) It's a site for uploading temporary files, totally free. Recommended by engineers to me, I've been using it, it works great for temp files.

P.S. There is a spot in the chorus where I say about Elvis "And I wondered back then what was his wage" and it barfs a little and it sounds like I chuckle. Which is rather fortunate that it happened right there but it was unintentional. That's a psr2000 quirk. Or that style quirk.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-23-2005).]

#193541 - 08/09/05 06:41 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
me bill -
i'm listening to it right now, and i must tell you, it's one of the clearest sounding recordings i've heard lately. I can hear every little strum, and every single one of your words/vocals is clearly audible. You know i'm no techie, but i'm giving the whole things a thumbs up - the song itself too!! You are very creative!!

The little "chuckle" actually came out perfect, altho it wasn't meant to! You are right, it came in at a perfect spot!

Just my little opinion, but I wouldn't change a thing . . .

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#193542 - 08/09/05 07:59 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Thanks, Jill. Anyone else? I need opinions, if you care to listen. Again, about the recording fidelity and also the song (songwriting) itself. Do you like this song?

No
It's just okay
Like it
Love it

EDIT: Hey, you guys are downloading but not commenting! Help me out! I can see that six people downloaded. Of course, I have no clue who you are, haha. But if you can post even a brief comment, it's very helpful.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-09-2005).]

#193543 - 08/09/05 08:16 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, just downloaded the new file. It is much better and I like the new verse a lot. BUT, the volume is still slightly peaking when I examine it in the Nero editor. Nothing like the last one, but still, in my opinion, slightly too hot.
Don

#193544 - 08/09/05 08:36 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Don, did you hear any distortion or clipping or ANYthing abnormal?

Thanks, amigo!

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#193545 - 08/09/05 08:45 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No clipping, just a tad of distortion, but you have to listen hard to hear it.

#193546 - 08/09/05 09:07 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Lefty,

I like it. I like the song, very catchy lyrics. Like Jill said, very clear.

Here's some technical stuff (my opinion, of course). I don't hear any distortion from the few places it clips (using Sound Forge 7)(keep in mind, I'm 45 and listened to my music real loud as a kid).

0:16.5
0:32
1:20.8
1:32
2:47.5

Those are all minutes and seconds into the song where the meters show clipping. But again I didn't notice any real distortion there.

But about the quirk you mentioned (1:08 into the song when you sing, "And I wondered"), I think that's the harmonizer and it sounds like it's stuttering to me. At 2:30 into it, you sing the same verse and there's no stuttering. I heard the same thing in Scott Yee's Coffeehouse song (Tyros). What is that? The harmonizer not quite ready for action, levels too high, threshold being broken, something is happenin' there.

That aside, I enjoyed what I listened to. If you were in my town, I'd definitely come to hear you sing.

-mike

#193547 - 08/09/05 09:09 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hello,

I really liked it! The vocals were all very clear - seemed like they might be a bit too loud compared to the background at times.

Personally, I think you could make this song much better, production-wise, with some overdubbing and having different instruments come in/out at different times. I would drop the style's strings altogother and overdub your own string lines in, for example.

This is just how I like to work, though. I love the PSR's for songwriting, but then I like to go back and make lots of changes - mainly putting different drums in using commercial audio drum loops, and playing some of the background instrumentation, such as piano/strings by hand for the final product.

I'm definitely no expert though.

Carrie

#193548 - 08/09/05 09:09 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
nielshs Offline

Hi

I like your song and your singing. The recording sounds good, but I think there is a little too much treble in the mix. Keep up your songwriting

regards

#193549 - 08/09/05 09:31 AM Re: Would someone listen to this recording? (Paging)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

clipping. But again I didn't notice any real distortion there.

Mike, thanks for that, that will help to look at waveform at those places.

But about the quirk you mentioned

I don't know... the psr2000 with this style has been barfing some.

vocals were all very clear - seemed like they might be a bit too loud compared to the background at times.

Carrie, I agree. Still working on that.

I would drop the style's strings altogother and overdub your own string lines in, for example.

Yes, I thought the strings were weak.

different drums in using commercial audio drum loops

This is something I have asked about lately! I was thinking that on into the future, I could do all tracks and then wipe out the drums and do them with good drum loops. I also thought of hiring a real drummer. Seriously. I love drums and if anything sounds "not live," it's drums. But they are getting drum loops pretty amazing these days.

too much treble

nielshs, I boosted the highs in e.q. and I guess I went too far. I'm also hard of hearing, high frequency loss, so, that alone could explain that.

Thanks to all! This is a song I'm really wondering about... if people like the song. Because it is obviously about the Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport, Louisiana. The Louisiana Hayride was held there. An amazing history. You can thank the place (and hey, Mr. Page!) for Hank Williams, Johnny Horton, Elvis, Slim Whitman, George Jones, Johnny Cash. That's an amazing statement but it's true!

So, I have continually worked on this lyric to try to make it appealing to people outside this area. I had two ways I was going with it.

First was to build the story more around Mr. Page and his senior citizenship and how they can positively influence your life. Second was to showcase the history more than Mr. Page but Mr. Page remain a focal point. I chose the latter, thinking the historical perspective would create more "universal" acceptance. Something you strive for in songwriting.

The place is mostly known for the country music stars it nurtured, "the cradle of the stars." But I wanted to figure out how to bring rock into that as well because it's true, Elvis was rejected by the Grand Ol' Opry and The Louisiana Hayride accepted him. That's where he built the personna of early Elvis that changed the world.

Haha, it ain't easy or everybody would be a songwriter. I have a very strong opinion about this song but I have to get other people's opinions. So, thanks!

P.S. Carrie, when I wrote this on guitar... the rhythm I could hear for drums was a very fast and prominent rhythm. I love drums! More of a rockabilly style. This particular version is kind of mellow. Which I like, but I might like to rockabilly it up even better.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online