SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#193530 - 12/09/04 11:15 AM Re: $50/hour
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Bill in Dayton has pretty well described how I do it. The numbers are a bit different, but as Glenn says, you've got to know your market.

The highest demand night, by far, is Saturdays here, so I tend not to be as flexible in pricing on that night. But, for any new venue, before giving a price I like to find out what socio-economic category they fit into and how many guests will be at the event.

High volume clients' requests deserve serious consideration if it looks like the gig could be lost otherwise.

Eddie

#193531 - 12/09/04 11:22 AM Re: $50/hour
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Semi...
Be careful about charging by the set or hour. The fact is some clients will hire you for a minimum time to get minimum rate when in fact that one little job can keep you from accepting any other.

The little day time jobs can be priced by the hour and you can do a couple of them in one day with the proper scheduling. Night time is a different animal. I charge by the night and they own me for 3-4 hours.

Eddie

#193532 - 12/09/04 11:31 AM Re: $50/hour
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Semi...
Be careful about charging by the set or hour. The fact is some clients will hire you for a minimum time to get minimum rate when in fact that one little job can keep you from accepting any other.

The little day time jobs can be priced by the hour and you can do a couple of them in one day with the proper scheduling. Night time is a different animal. I charge by the night and they own me for 3-4 hours.

Eddie

RIGHT, I never charge by the hour. Nursing Homes only expect one hour. Otherwise I give them a price and it's the same for one to four hours.
If they have hired me before, they know they will get their money's worth time-wise.
DonM

#193533 - 12/09/04 12:13 PM Re: $50/hour
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The important thing I learned the hard way years ago, is that you have to determine a set rate & fee schedule and charge accordingly. If you charge differently for client A than B, the news will get around sooner than you think. - Scott

#193534 - 12/09/04 01:04 PM Re: $50/hour
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don ir right on...rates are similar for this area. Top players get $150.00 for upscale restaurant work...adequate players get $100.00 for rgular jobs and the bottom feeders try to steal jobs at a rate of $75.00. Corporate jobs ar $300-500.00. I don't do assisted living jobs, but recently, an activities director was visiting the restaurant I play most frequently and asked if I would play for the residents. She said they pay $150.00. I assume that is for an hour or two.

As for travel, I don't charge for travel in this county or to three small towns within 15 miles. My most frequent out-of town job is 250 miles away. I charge 35 cents a mile and $25.00 an hourfor travel. The four hour job takes me a total of 10 hours. It's a bank holding company in Indiana, and they have no problem with the price. Total compensation for the 10 hour day is $650.00. After the cost of travel, that's not excessive. That probably would be way too much for an out-of-town restaurant, but corporate clients know the value of time, so it's not a problem.

Keep on "pickin" and grinnin"...and have a fabulous holiday!

Russ

#193535 - 12/09/04 01:47 PM Re: $50/hour
Dnj Offline

you can charge whatever you want but you better "PUT OUT" and be worth the money to your client or your history ...ya get ONE chance in this business......blow it and you outta there and so is your REPutaion ...sorry but thats the truth....ever ask yourself Am I Worth what I charge? Strive to be the best in your area and teh money will come your way....
I never discuss rates with anyone but my client.

#193536 - 12/09/04 03:05 PM Re: $50/hour
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
For the county fair I played 3 hours Wednesday and 3 hours Saturday $150 each time.

I played for a woman's org that does charity work for beeast cancer at the biggest hotel in town with a wine festival etc. I didn't say a word they offered me $350.

I played for a contractors assoc. annual party for maybe 2 hours total for $300 they offered.

But the nursing homes want 1 hour for $50 that's it. After I get going I can't quit I do atleast one and a half hours for the fifty bucks.

The Eagles club pays $150 for 3 hours. there's just not a lot of opportunity to gig around here. The local nightclubs seem to want out of twon entertainers.

#193537 - 12/09/04 06:40 PM Re: $50/hour
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
"After I get going I can't quit I do atleast one and a half hours for the fifty bucks."

Brick-I hear what you're saying, but don't make a habit of it. If you do it more than every so often, and when it suits you...they'll start to expect it. If you start giging alot, thats bad news. You'll blow your voice out, to start with and number two, what the hell kind of activities director lets her residents sit there for that long? The Nurses Aids are probably pissed, lol...

Bill in Dayton

#193538 - 12/10/04 01:11 AM Re: $50/hour
Beakybird Offline

SemiLive:

I don't know where you live or if you do nursing home gigs (which I do), but where I live (Chicago's far west suburbs), you cannot make a living charging $50 for an hour.

$50/hr. sounds good on paper, but it is a fact that with driving, you aren't going to be able to do more than three gigs in a day: One morning, one afternoon, and one evening.

If you want to make a living at this (which I do but not spectacularly) then you should be charging in the $100 range.

I charge as much as I can for each gig. I base my prices on these things:

1. My minimum for a gig that is within 1/2 an hour distance. $90/hr. morning, $105/hr. for the afternoon., $115/hr. for the evening. $125/hr. for weekend afternoons.
2. What can the venue afford? I have one client that hires me twice a month for two back to back 45 minute morning shows. They cannot afford more than $130. As I wouldn't book this slot otherwise, and I need the money, I take it. But I have another facility that pays me $130 for one hour in the morning. I have retirement homes that I know can afford $200/hr. I charge $200 an hour.
3. What day is the gig? Many nursing/retirement homes want Fridays. I charge more for Fridays. I charge a minimum of $110 and I steer those paying less than $125 toward the other days of the week. I charge at least $150/hr for holidays.
4. How far is the gig? Make sure that you are getting reimbursed for your miles and time.

When you factor in that you have to come up with 1) self employment tax, 2) gas, 3) car repairs, 4) health insurance, 5) retirement all by your self, $50/hr. isn't very much money. If that's all you can get, and you don't have to support a family by yourself, then it's certainly better than flipping burgers.

Beakybird

#193539 - 12/10/04 08:19 AM Re: $50/hour
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
When I created the thread, it was not to ask "How much should I charge?" The question pertained to semantics... how do you phrase it best. Words are powerful, how you say something is powerful. That's what marketing is about.

The thread took on a life of its own. We've had several discussions about pricing and it's always good to read and this has been a good one! But that's not why I started the thread.

Just thought I'd say that before someone says "Heck, same question was covered three months ago."

Carry on, good advice within.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online