SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#193520 - 12/09/04 08:48 AM $50/hour
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What do you think of simply pricing gigs for...

$50/hour, two hour minimum
Each set = 45 minutes, 15 minute break between

I'd like to add mileage figure as well, but afraid it would run 'em off. But I don't know that. Mainly just curious if you think the $50/hour, two hour minimum seems like a good way to do it. Instead of saying "$150" or $100" or whatever.

#193521 - 12/09/04 08:55 AM Re: $50/hour
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
For senior centers I have been charging $100 for the first hour and $50 for each hour after the initial hour..

#193522 - 12/09/04 09:16 AM Re: $50/hour
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
You havta go with what the going rate is in your area, which isn't that difficult to learn. Then price yourself according to how good of a job you think you do. If you're good, then make sure you're priced at the top of the going rates range.... never underprice yourself.

I only started performing ~ a year ago, mostly senior homes. I learned that the going rate (Cleveland/Akron) was $40 - $75 per hour for a single or duo. I started at $70/hr and going up to $75-80 after the first of the yr with no problem.

Main thing is to decide what you're worth and then stick with it...

BTW, don't disregard the cost of travel. Others on the forum are charging for mileage with little problem.

Glenn

#193523 - 12/09/04 09:41 AM Re: $50/hour
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm confused.

What if the Senior Center only wants entertainment for an hour or 45 minutes? Your only going to make $50 - $100 for the gig?

That sounds kind of low to me considering travel time, mileage, setup/breakdown, performances.

I would assume you'd be better off charging a flat fee per event with add-ons such as additional time, cocktail hours, additional players, etc.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#193524 - 12/09/04 09:45 AM Re: $50/hour
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I like Fran's system where the first hour is 100, then 50 every hour after that. Because the work involved in setting up.

Doing two 1 hour gigs is more work than 1 two hour gig. ya know?

Bob
<><

(I'm just an ametuer though so I don't charge)

#193525 - 12/09/04 09:47 AM Re: $50/hour
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I have four general price structures for my solo work. Also, note that I also live in Ohio, very close to Dayton. Not exactly a thriving live music town...

1) Nursing homes, Retirement Communities, etc...$100 per show for 45-60 minutes. 4+ shows per year then it drops the price to $85.00 These are my low end accounts...the easiest and most willing jobs to reschedule if the need arises. My AD's feel like they're getting me at a great price, so they fill up my slow days (M-TH) quite nicely.

2) Private service clubs (VFW's, Moose, Elks, Legions, Amvets, etc)...$125-175 for the typical three hour gig.

3) Private Parties, Corporate, Civic gigs...$300-$500 for most gigs of this type.

4) Weddings...$400+ for receptions only...$500+ for both the ceremony and reception if all at same location. I'll adjust my price on two main factors.

A-How many guests do they expect? (If under 75 or so, this gives me a good sign that I may have to be flexible. If 100+, the safer a higher bid will be.)

B-Where is the reception being held? If the reception is at a local fire hall or small time banquet hall, adjust downward. If its at a local upscale hotel or country club, adjust upward.

Everyone's pricing scale is different...trust me its just a matter of time until one of our heavy hitters from the east coast weighs in and says us guys in Ohio are undercharging, lol...

One interesting thing I've seen locally is that a few of the higher priced guys have lost LOTS of work to more resonably priced talent. I've seen it more than once where a short term, "I've got MY money-who cares about the club?" from an entertainer winds up with the club dropping entertainment all together. Being flexible with time, fees, and profressionalism IMO, is #1 with most clients you'll run into. Are there exceptions to the above guidelines, of course...Remember, we're in the customer service business as well as providing entertainment. Coming off too rigid, inflexible or arrogant is one quick way to spend more Saturday nights home with the family...

Which is fun sometime, I'll admit.

My last day off was Thanksgiving, my next day is Christmas. The lowest paying gigs I have this month are 5 $85 nursing home ones. Compared to some of the guys in NY, NJ, LA, etc....I don't bring home as much, I'll bet, but for a dead town like Dayton, I can't complain. Figure out what YOUR location can support and go from there.

Good luck!

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-09-2004).]

#193526 - 12/09/04 09:50 AM Re: $50/hour
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I refer to a senior center..this is where seniors get together for dinner/dance...this is not a nursing home facility ...The average time is 3-4 hours..

#193527 - 12/09/04 10:25 AM Re: $50/hour
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm pretty much in line with Bill. Be careful not to underprice yourself. Sometimes they won't think you are very good if you don't charge enough.
DonM

#193528 - 12/09/04 11:04 AM Re: $50/hour
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I find it useful to negotiate based on my time, including setup, takedown, travel if excessive. That's what other professional consultants and service providers do. You need not confuse your clients with this unless they ask, but mentally just figure that a three hour gig is really a four hour gig - which it really is. This becomes an issue only if you want to negotiate for more consecutive nights... when my clients want a price break I tell them that I give breaks when I don't have to setup or takedown my equipment - that gets me extra nights, sometimes bumping my competitors out of their nights. Such fun!

#193529 - 12/09/04 11:12 AM Re: $50/hour
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
So, rather than what I said, it would be better to state it as...

$100 for up to two sets (1:45), additional sets are $50 each

I tell ya, with gasoline prices, it sure adds up just going for short jaunts. I figured up each practice (with bandmates when I was playing with them), cost me $5 just for gas alone and he was only 25 miles away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online