SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1923 - 06/13/02 08:13 AM What should I get?
alext1018 Offline

Loc: Lake Worth, FL, US
Ok, here is what I have:

Yamaha PSR540
Tascam Porta 02 Portastudio

I'm looking for something so I can put my music on CD instead of Cassette tapes. I really don't have a price limit, but would like to keep it as cheap as possible. Please help. Thanks in advanced.

#1924 - 06/13/02 10:49 AM Re: What should I get?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The cheapest way is a CDR that installs in your pc. ($100-200)The stand alone recorders are about$400 and up.

#1925 - 06/14/02 08:27 AM Re: What should I get?
alext1018 Offline

Hey Uncle Dave,

I know that the stand alone are more expensive, but it'll be cheaper for me. If I get a CDR for the computer, I would have to buy a computer for myself because I'm not allowed to put all that stuff on this computer I'm using now.

Also, I'm looking for something that I could just plug right in to, if there is such a thing. For example - From my Keyboard to the CD recorder.

If I can't do that, then what mixer should I get as well?

What stand alone do you think I should get too?

#1926 - 06/14/02 10:40 AM Re: What should I get?
Uncle Dave Offline

Alex,
I am a fan of the Tascam CD-RW700. It's a stand alone piece that has analog and digital in's and ouits. You don't even need a mixer, really. You can plug the kb right in. If you need to mix more signals, or modify EQ settings, I recomend the Mackie 1202VLZ. If money is tight, the Beheringer 1604 is a good substitute.
The Tascam is being sold at about $400 right now, and the mackie is about $375 or so.
Stay away from the Phillips home stuff - too many repair histories.

#1927 - 06/14/02 02:47 PM Re: What should I get?
Munsie Offline

Consider what you will be doing 6 months to 2 years down the road. The stand alone units were built for certain non computer types. If you're good with a pc, wait till you have the money needed to get a good pc, with a good sound card and sequencing software. Or feed your impulse and buy something you can use out of the box and out grow it's usefullness in no time at all. Think about it...

#1928 - 06/14/02 08:12 PM Re: What should I get?
Uncle Dave Offline

That is a very one sided opinion. Pc based systems are by no means the "best" for all situations, and in my case ... it would be a step backwards to have to rely on my computer to make a quick demo CD or copy and compile several trax, etc.
Buying a quality stand-alone unit makes sense on many levels.... namely:
1)Simple, straightforward operation
2)No extra things to go wrong or generate noise (pc's have fans, and loud hard drives that get in the way of MANY home recording progects)
3)A "hands on" approach to recording is still preferred by many to a menu based system.

I am a big fan of computers and what they can do to serve MY needs, but there are times that a dedicated unit makes life easier. It's anything BUT an impulse desision. It's a smart move that makes financial sense.

#1929 - 06/15/02 11:52 AM Re: What should I get?
alext1018 Offline

Uncle Dave - thanks a bunch. One question, how much is the Beheringer 1604? Spending $800 is a lot, but if needed I will.

Munsie - Nah, I don't want to go to computers. I want something so I don't have to save for a long time. $800 might take me about 2 months, but $1600 might take longer, and I don't want to wait. (Have to save up for a car so it needs to be a bit cheaper)

Thanks again.

#1930 - 06/15/02 03:34 PM Re: What should I get?
Uncle Dave Offline

The 1604 is a great buy at about $200 or so. If you don't need so many channels - look at the 802 or 602 - each one is cheaper than the last.

#1931 - 06/15/02 04:22 PM Re: What should I get?
WS Offline

You could get a minidisk if you are looking to make copies. A PC with a CDRW is the way to go. You can get a CDRW for under $50 and a Pentium III for under $400. You will then be able to do any editing needed.

#1932 - 06/15/02 05:57 PM Re: What should I get?
rgtaa Offline

I agree with WS!
If you want to make quick recording of your stuff MiniDisk is GREAT! It's digital and cheap!
Then Buy external usb cdrw for 50-70 bucks and using musicmatch jukebox program, transfer your music from either your tascam or minidisk to Computer, then make cd , then take usb cdrw with you so you don't leave anything changed on the computer you are using!

Minidisk is 100-200 dollars ,and has multiply purposes, Notetaking, lectures, recording concerts, ect! and playing back with headphones, really portable! In addition to attaching to your prs! And it's digital! Better than cassette tape!

Gave up cassette's a while back, I have a tascam collecting dust somewhere, even music store wouldn't take anything in trade for it!

I set my minidisk on my psr9000 , and either record live with vocals, or make sequences and transfer them! And instant feedback! Then take it to computer and make mp3's ect!

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 06-15-2002).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online