SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191372 - 12/21/05 08:41 AM My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well Folks here's my FIRST (finished) country song! Peronally I really like this one. It's no superstar hit by any means, but hey, it was a whole new (musical experience) for me.

I kept this one simple. Just simple drums, very light upright bass(from my Casio WK), guitar(live acoustic), and lead vocal.

Again you may need to play with the EQ's on your media players. The fade out in the end isn't the best, but ah what the hell--it ends

The song is called "Momma's Gone". I wanted to call it "Momma Ain't Worth A Damn", but those close to me didn't care for that one

Please let me know what you guys/gals think.

Regards Squeak
http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2R25R067ZG85Y2X7AFJSTCQJI0
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#191373 - 12/21/05 09:00 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Squeak,
I like it. I listen through $5 computer speakers, at work, just as the time you posted the unfinished version.
I think it needs a little more reverb, so the notes will linger a little more, can't describe it easily, like it sounds too tight, sounds like it's played in a room full of furniture and clothing that choke reflections.

Drums were a little artificial but you are a drummer if I remember well so you know better.

I feel your voice needs a little work, but I will leave comments for the singing for the guys/gals here who can actually sing.

Bass was nonexistent in my cheap speakers here, I will give it a listen in my house.

I Like this giutar better than the other strum you used in the unfinished one, but please, add a second guitar for a test, a steel string one.

So far, good.
Theodore

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 12-21-2005).]

#191374 - 12/21/05 09:13 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
squeak_D Offline

Cheap speakers won't do much for the bass. Even my cheap speakers that came with my newer compact didn't do much for the bass, but when I played the file on my other computer with Compact/JBL speakers, it sounded much better.

I dropped the reverb a bit because I didn't want it to sound like I was singing in a bathroom.

The drums are real basic. I used a country style from my Casio. It turned out that the two parts I need from the style (drums and bass) worked for the song.

I will re-record the song, and the drums will be recorded using a Boss DR-3 Drum/Bass Machine.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#191375 - 12/21/05 09:57 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
squeak_D Offline

Forgot to add, I decided to leave out back up vocals on this one. I don't know I just think it soudns find without them.

Squeak

#191376 - 12/21/05 11:06 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
squeak - it doesn't sound finished... - add some strings and some hawaiian guitar to sound more country - don't you feel like it needs some hawaiian guitar and some strings...effects ? - i'm serious...i have good speakers but the bass doesn't sound like a bass...from my opinion the song needs more " butter on the bread "

regards,

claudiu

#191377 - 12/21/05 11:26 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
squeak_D Offline

Claudiu,
When I said finished I meant as far as basic structure and lyrics. I've got the drum line down, bass line, acoustic guitar, and lead vocal.

I'm not sure on the hawaiian guitar. I think a fiddle would sound nice in there though. I've got to listen to some more country though. I've never played a fiddle part in my life Got to work on that one.

I'm just happy I got the vocals down where I want them, and the undercarrying part of the drums and bass.

The final master will be done using drums and bass from a Boss DR-3 (awsome acoustic drum kits on that unit). I might even throw in a light twiddle of piano in there as well.

Not too sure about background vocals at the moment.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-21-2005).]

#191378 - 12/21/05 11:40 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Squeak, granted, I have hearing loss... but I can't understand your words. I listen to country all day long and vocals are right up front... you hear every single word. On yours, I get maybe 25%. I like the overall feel well enough. Good luck!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 12-21-2005).]

#191379 - 12/21/05 12:32 PM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
claudiu Offline

squeak - do anything you wanna do but fill it up :P put the butter on the bread

#191380 - 12/21/05 01:53 PM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
see your e-mail

Fred

#191381 - 12/21/05 05:54 PM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
claudiu Offline

butter on the bread :P:P:P .. squeak - good job man ! regards - me

#191382 - 12/21/05 08:11 PM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Squeak...
Thanx for the submission. Always good to hear new efforts & ideas.
Okay....you asked for some critique.

What didn't appeal to me was what I thought was an over-use of the high flittering vocal particularly at the end of each first word of the chorus. For me, once, near the end would have been sufficient.
To me, also, it could have used a bridge of some kind. I was waiting, but it never came.
Overall...nothing wrong with your pipes, and I echo Claudiu with the idea of a steel guitar, to bring out the country feel, and your idea about a fiddle, maybe to compliment the chorus.

Just my thots... Keep up the good work.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 12-21-2005).]

#191383 - 12/21/05 11:17 PM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Claudiu,
you mentioned "butter on the bread" 3 times in about seven hours' posting time. That is enough cholesterol for the day in my opinion.

Squeak,
I gave it a listen in my home. The bass is still behind, it gets heard on choruses, but not much. I realise that it was your intention.
It sounds fine to my ears, with or without harmonies.

Keep up !!!!
Theodore

#191384 - 12/22/05 04:22 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
trtjazz Offline

Squeak

I have to say that I am suitably impressed with your vocal chops as well as the clean restraint you showed here. Lyrics are very good and I can understand them fine.

IMO, strings are WAY over done to death in almost every tune written. They fill up every nook and cranny of airspace in a composition and do not allow it to breath at all.

I think you could if you want to add a bit more, a bit of pedal steel here and there and or either a fiddle riff or a Strat sounding guitar riff here and there.

Otherwise I think a great tune good mix.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

#191385 - 12/22/05 05:03 AM Re: My first FINISHED Country Song! Please have a listen :)
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
Hi squeak, i think this one is an improvement,you are going in the right direction,my only critism it sounds like you are singing to yourself,imagine an audience in front of you and SING to THEM,put a little bit more of YOURSELF into it.I like it.mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online