SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191098 - 10/12/02 10:16 AM old man's instrument? Oh - okay
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
I have always enjoyed reading this board when a discussion ensues regarding the relative value of arrangers. Sometimes its about 'level of professionalism' - 'level of realism' - and recent posts have again thrown down the gauntlet of 'old man's instrument'.'
The term 'old man' only seems painful if too much value is placed on 'youth'. Since much of the media spotlite re: entertaining focuses on youth - I suppose resentment by us aging folks is natural. But - my feelings about the comment 'old man's instrument' are a bit different. Regardless of how 'good' people here think some manufacturer's arranger percussion sounds are - there is a very strong harmonic-melodic philosophy of music shared by people on this board. Although the vocal-harmonic instrument (guitar-piano) tradition can be found in different younger artists - mainstream dance and driving music for our young people has been seriously dominated by repetetive percussiveness. The retention of a strong melody and harmony tradition in arranger artists would tend to mark them as 'old style'. There certainly are exceptions to my generalization.

There are other things about arranger use that I find fascinating. One of those has to do with the ever higher accuracy levels of instrument nuance reproduction. For people who like to think about what they are listening to - it forces you to confront the very nature of music. If I can recreate the sound of a flute - what is the role of the flutist and the flute? If I use an arranger -and no longer need a whole band to play - do I need to be a whole lot better piano player? or a whole lot better entertainer? If the performer turns out to be a huge component of the music - does that suggest that 'band in a box' arrangers need to be used very sparingly?

Having used an SD1 this last 6 months - and trying to incorporate it into trio and duo jazz performances - I have been only marginally successful. This is partly due to me and partly due to the fact that arrangers cater to the vocal tradition entertainer - and the performance of songs as dance music -things I no longer do. Having said that - I can envision an arranger that would work extremely well for me in jazz - and the technology to put this in a keyboard is already there. It would have things set up a fair bit differently than any of the instruments out there - and hopefully I will not be too old if one comes out.

In the meantime - I am done with the SD1 and going back to 88 regular action keys - with whatever arranger features currently attach to the roland KF90 - unless of course - something wonderful is released tomorrow.

regards
Mike

#191099 - 10/12/02 10:22 AM Re: old man's instrument? Oh - okay
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike , I love the KF90, but it is too big for me to haul.. I also liked the SD1 with a few reservations....Another old guy..

#191100 - 10/12/02 10:56 AM Re: old man's instrument? Oh - okay
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike H:
I have always enjoyed reading this board when a discussion ensues regarding the relative value of arrangers. Sometimes its about 'level of professionalism' - 'level of realism' - and recent posts have again thrown down the gauntlet of 'old man's instrument'.'
The term 'old man' only seems painful if too much value is placed on 'youth'. Since much of the media spotlite re: entertaining focuses on youth - I suppose resentment by us aging folks is natural. But - my feelings about the comment 'old man's instrument' are a bit different. Regardless of how 'good' people here think some manufacturer's arranger percussion sounds are - there is a very strong harmonic-melodic philosophy of music shared by people on this board. Although the vocal-harmonic instrument (guitar-piano) tradition can be found in different younger artists - mainstream dance and driving music for our young people has been seriously dominated by repetetive percussiveness. The retention of a strong melody and harmony tradition in arranger artists would tend to mark them as 'old style'. There certainly are exceptions to my generalization.

There are other things about arranger use that I find fascinating. One of those has to do with the ever higher accuracy levels of instrument nuance reproduction. For people who like to think about what they are listening to - it forces you to confront the very nature of music. If I can recreate the sound of a flute - what is the role of the flutist and the flute? If I use an arranger -and no longer need a whole band to play - do I need to be a whole lot better piano player? or a whole lot better entertainer? If the performer turns out to be a huge component of the music - does that suggest that 'band in a box' arrangers need to be used very sparingly?

Having used an SD1 this last 6 months - and trying to incorporate it into trio and duo jazz performances - I have been only marginally successful. This is partly due to me and partly due to the fact that arrangers cater to the vocal tradition entertainer - and the performance of songs as dance music -things I no longer do. Having said that - I can envision an arranger that would work extremely well for me in jazz - and the technology to put this in a keyboard is already there. It would have things set up a fair bit differently than any of the instruments out there - and hopefully I will not be too old if one comes out.

In the meantime - I am done with the SD1 and going back to 88 regular action keys - with whatever arranger features currently attach to the roland KF90 - unless of course - something wonderful is released tomorrow.

regards
Mike

Well said Mike.
I am an old kdst ( 57 years old), playing with old man's instrument, jazz and bossa nova songs.
I have no guilt if my generation doesn't like play only white keys with C,G,F,Am,Dm,repetitive chords(This is the famous black complex).
Another tip:
My typical "old spectator"(40/60 age) always have money to pay my bill.
Chico

#191101 - 10/12/02 11:17 AM Re: old man's instrument? Oh - okay
trtjazz Offline

Mike & Chico,
Both very well said indeed and I agree 200%. 100 for Mike and 100 for Chico.
jam on,
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-12-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online