SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#190840 - 09/13/03 06:18 AM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Vquestor, this should work!!!

#190841 - 09/13/03 08:23 PM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?
Vquestor Offline

I hope we can finally see the light at
the end of the tunnel for the FLR 2003.

But I have some terrible news!!
I just read that Live Synth has gone under.
I couldn't find either website www.livesynth.com www.liveupdate.com

Do you know anything about this?
I hope they are/will be acquired by someone
who will continue support.

#190842 - 09/14/03 05:32 AM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?

Vquestor, you are right, LiveSynth has been off line for a while. I also noted a de-emphasis of LiveSynth on Cakewalk's site. Hopefully, it get's a new life including as a VST instrument. Oh well!!!

If worse came to worse, we could always translate the drums from 16256 to 127 and use VSampler 3.0. SeerMusic may provide another alternative in the future - Windows XP & Yamaha XG compatibility. There could be other alternatives in the future - who knows!!!

If I wasn't so old and if the job wasn't so boring I would just go ahead and convert the Yamaha styles to GM format. This opens up many more alternatives. In the meantime I will continue to use LiveSynth Pro or your alternative LiveSynth XG Drums and the rest on Hyper Canvas or other GM Wavetable.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-14-2003).]

#190843 - 09/14/03 09:43 AM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?

Vquestor, I have just been notified that forte beta version 1.3 with audio in will be available for testing today. So I should be able to test DecaBuddy and VoicMachine.

If it works, I will move out of Cubase SX, Project5, etc. (expensive) to a simpler world of forte (elegant & affordable). Life is on the verge of getting better. We'll find out soon!!!

#190844 - 09/14/03 02:47 PM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Vquestor, I have just been notified that forte beta version 1.3 with audio in will be available for testing today. So I should be able to test DecaBuddy and VoicMachine.

If it works, I will move out of Cubase SX, Project5, etc. (expensive) to a simpler world of forte (elegant & affordable). Life is on the verge of getting better. We'll find out soon!!!

I surely hope it works!!! I will keep my
fingers crossed. Fortunately, it seems like they have a very good and customer friendly group at Brainspawn, so I'm sure they can work out any problems(hopefully).

One side note. I agree with you that
it is a lot of work to change XG styles to
GM, and this SHOULD NOT BE necessary for
your "flr software XG arranger" since it should play PSR styles with no tweaking whatsoever.
If worse came to worst, I think a custom XG
SF(all instruments including drums) in the now defunct LiveSynth, will do the trick.
That is also the beauty of Forte, since LiveSynth is a DXi, and Forte hosts both
VSTi and DXi.

Good Luck and GO FORTE!!

#190845 - 09/15/03 06:01 PM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?

I did my first round of testing of the forte Ensemble beta version 1.3. It worked remarkably well with only the WDM drivers implemented. ASIO Drivers will be implemented soon. Everthing operated properly:

Live - Styler
LiveSynth Pro
Kontakt
DecaBuddy

I set my latency at 2.9 ms and the computer handled it very well. I had to back off on the number of instances of high quality reverbs (Ambience) I used - not a big sacrifice.

This is definitely an elegant and affordable solution compared to my previous music operating system (Cubase $700 & Project5 $400).

Things just keep getting better!!!

#190846 - 09/16/03 04:12 AM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?
elle Offline

Hi Frank,

I think your queste has come to a point where you (and others) might want to setup should setup a "Open Software Aranger Group" of some kind, which could approach the core vendors for your framework (the likes of Brainspawn and livestyler/OMB) and beyond the mere software interoperability of these modules pressure for a higher level (hardware simulation?) interface so the FLR can also be used in live situation.

jus a thought

elle

#190847 - 09/16/03 04:50 AM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?

elle, thanks very much for your kind comments.

With some additional developments, Brainspawn's forte will be ready for prime time, i.e., live performances. forte has powerful midi and scene changes implemented where you can make total system changes from your keyboard, e.g., using program & control changes, etc. You can also program your computer keyboard to make 'scene' changes along with other changes - hot keys. In addition, I could use a touch screen to improve the control surface. There are various companies working on control surfaces, e.g., M-Audio, etc. The partnership between Roland and Cakewalk could be helpful. But you are right, more needs to be coordinated with the hardware side. This will only happen if there is a market opportunity.

While the control surface is not as good as a regular arranger keyboard the other benefits such as, high quality effects and instruments outweigh the drawbacks. Plus you can use the instruments of your choice or synths of your choice without adding weight to your system.

I believe a viable software based system has just arrived!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-16-2003).]

#190848 - 09/16/03 07:36 AM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Frank,
Would I be able to use my Yamaha PSR550 as a controller keyboard? Is it possible to use the existing buttons for program changes, fills, etc.?
Does you controller keyboard have expression pedal input (so that you can change the volume of the lead voices without affecting the accompaniment)?
How will the fact that LiveSynth Pro might be bankrupt effect us in the future? Just to confirm, LiveSynth Pro can play XG voices without any conversions?
Starkeeper

#190849 - 09/16/03 07:46 AM Re: Frank- FLR2003 status?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Frank,
What would be the bare bones minimum Laptop system I would need to run the flr2003 (no voice harmony software required)?
Starkeeper

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online