SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#189716 - 10/04/00 08:28 PM My New X1....Uncle Dave....and....
Dnj Offline

a big smile on this musicians face! I picked up my Solton X1 from Uncle Dave last night. I know for the last 2 years I have been making a living giging with the KN5000 and have praised it many many times. It never let me down and did it's job very proficiently. But I felt after trying the X1 it was time to move on and enjoy this awesome piece of equipment and take my music and singing to a new level. I tried many top brands but this x1 just blew me away all around. With my very busy performance schedule I was a little worried about making the change over with so many gigs coming up, but whats better then jumping into the fire and just "Going For It" of which I did today playing my first gig with the new unit. Was it scary? YES! Did I know what I was doing? Sought Of! Nervous? (a Martini helped)YES YES YES! But before I left Uncle Dave's place this super kind and patient man took the time out of his busy schedule to set up the x1 to my personal preferences regarding styles, registrations, favorite sounds, midi songs, and most of all showed me until 1AM how to do most of the basic hands on stuff I needed to know to operate and perform successfully my first time out (which went great by the way too)! People like Uncle Dave are few and far between, and I appreciate all he has done to make my musical life a pleasure. Thank You Sir,

Donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-04-2000).]

#189717 - 10/04/00 10:00 PM Re: My New X1....Uncle Dave....and....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Donny,

What a quick surprise to find you decided to go with the Solton X1.

Wow, I wish I lived closer to your area so I could have the privilege to meet both you and the incomparable Uncle Dave. Donny, I kind of feel like I'm in a similar position that you were recently in (prior to your new adopted Solton X1 purchase from Uncle Dave. Uncle Dave sounds like one hell of a guy.I'm sure the X1 you got from him must have a special "magic touch".

I too am extremely happy with my Technics KN5000 & have been professionally gigging with it for over two years, but like you, I'm "keeping my ears and eyes open" for a new arranger type keyboard which might augment the KN5000 and possibly take my arranger keyboard performance possibilities to another level.

Donny, please keep us informed about your experiences and progress with your newly adopted Solton X1. I'm particularly interested in how long it takes to master the navigational functions of the X1. I especially value your feedback because you have been a long time Technics KN5000 arranger keyboard devotee.

One last thing, could you possibly please check your Solton X1's chord recognition capabilities? I had asked previously on this board, but hope you could check to see if your Solton X1 is able to recognize the chord voicings which I outlined on a recent thread entitled "I Played a KN6000 Today and Wowwwwww".

Thanks and congratulations on your new Solton X1 keyboard.

- Scott

California (SF Bay area), USA

#189718 - 10/04/00 10:18 PM Re: My New X1....Uncle Dave....and....
Dnj Offline

hi Scott,
I will try to test your chords as soon as I can and let you know asap. Getting around the x1 is not too hard once you get familiarized with the layout, which I feel to most experienced players is quite easy (being we know most of the lingo on arranger boards).I have the X1 video on the way too. But Uncle Dave has really surpassed all boundaries making my transition a pleasurable one, The man is "ACES". The weighted keys compared to the K5's (much lighter feel) takes a little getting used to but the feel and sound is incredable on the x1. Scott try to check one out if you can !

l8tr

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-04-2000).]

#189719 - 10/05/00 07:46 AM Re: My New X1....Uncle Dave....and....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Donny, glad you got the X1 and had (I mean got) to meet Uncle Dave.
When I got mine, there was no one to show me how to get around it. It took me MANY days to learn it, and I'm no novice to arrangers. Even though Uncle Dave helped me by email, we use the keyboard in very different ways, so I had to mostly figure it out myself. I took it to the job the first day I got it, and it wasn't a disaster, but I'm certainly glad there were mostly friends in the audience!
You were very fortunate to be able to have him set it up and show it to you. And also to take your old 5K off your hands.
Dave I need to trade my old pickup for a new van. Can you help?
Seriously Donny, I am sending you a few styles for the X1. Enjoy and keep us informed.
Don

#189720 - 10/05/00 08:15 AM Re: My New X1....Uncle Dave....and....
Dnj Offline

hey Don,
I hear ya on going it alone with a new keyboard. yes I was very fortunate to have Dave show me the ropes, without him I would have taken my time before going on stage with the X1 before I knew what I was doing for sure. "There is a God"

thanx

Donny

#189721 - 10/06/00 08:31 AM Re: My New X1....Uncle Dave....and....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That would be great, but I already owned that very KN5000 before!
Speaking of trading, this is my 20th wedding anniversary, and I'm thinking of trading for a newer model. Maybe I could get one who owns a van!
I'm coming to see ya'll one of these days. Maybe I'll bring Joel also.
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online