SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#188835 - 01/10/01 10:07 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
Jupiter5 Offline

The Yamaha can use 8 Samples to make up one sound, (and many do) and so, effectively, a two handed jazz chord for example that uses 8 samples, and with just two layers, would take up 128 notes (you have only 126 notes on the Yamaha) - if two hands were playing 4 notes - c6 chord for example (CEGA)

The polyphony on the Yamaha is very deceiving, and claims 126-note polyphony. Well - that's true in a sense, but the fact that you need 8 samples per note to make a full sound can leave you coming unstuck. It has been said that a Yamaha with 4 samples per note (like my kn6000) will not sound as good, and so needs these extra samples to make the full sound up.

It is for this reason, that I didn't make the change to a Yamaha 9000 from a kn6000, as Polyphony was important to me. I will add a sound module soon to make that "Polyphony" up - which one though - I don't know. I was going for a JV1080 - but it is getting towards 5 years old now, (about March 96 it was released I think) and I know it probably still sounds great, but with the new XV3080/5080 now out, it would be wise for me to save up a little more money, and go for one of those instead.

I think Cliff meant "Samples" and not layers, or maybe the Yamaha pro does only do "4" samples per note.

It's worth noting that I've never "seemed" to run out of polyphony on the 64-voice kn6000. (Which "Only" does 4 samples per note) Maybe when I'm playing away, the odd drum hi-hat, etc drops out, but if I can't notice it, my 10,000 screaming fans won't neither!)

Jupiter5

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 01-10-2001).]

#188836 - 01/10/01 10:59 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
MisterEd Offline

Paul Ip,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just have a couple of questions?
1) If I get the extra memory for the sampler will I be able to use all of the wave samples I keep seeing advertised on the net and if I do use these samples, how good are they?

2) Great idea using the mike input on the front of the keyboard for running an addtional module, but how should I set the switch?

Thanks for your help.

#188837 - 01/10/01 12:09 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Shakil and Jupiter

My numbers for the 9kPro might not be right, I did not check the manual for my reply. It is probably the same for the 9kPro and the PSR9k.

I am also not sure about the following, but I do not think that Jupiter5's polyphony analysis is correct. Just because a voice uses 8 samples, does not mean it uses 8 voices of polyphony when played. Normally, the 8 samples are switched by key position or velocity rather than layered. In that case an 8-sample voice would only use one voice of polyphony per note when played.

But I might be wrong. I will try to find time to check the 9kPro manual on this.

Clif

#188838 - 01/10/01 12:33 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
MisterEd,

About your two questions, there is insufficient information so I cannot answer to your satisfaction:

1. Can you elaborate a bit more as to which sites you see the wave samples? Different wave samples may act differently in your PSR9000. If you do not record samples for yourself, the best wave samples to look at are those customized for PSR9000 so you do not have to worry sample loop point ... etc. PSR9000 allows wave recording of up to 32 MB but I have not tried loading wave samples with 32 MB or more in size to the sampling SIMMs - so I cannot confirm whether PSR9000 can load wave file larger than 32 MB, I speculate that the limit per wave file for loading is also 32 MB. How many samples can you load into 65 MB of SIMMs depends on the size of the wave files and how many of these you use for the range of keys you define per custom voice. The more samples you use per custom voice, the less number of custom sounds you can use. That is why you need a hard disk to store different wave sample files. For the 8 GB of hard disk space that PSR9000 can recognize, I use the first 2 GB partition just for styles, the second 2 GB partition just for songs, the third 2 GB partition just for wave sample files, the last 2 GB partition for miscellaneous system backups, exported factory and flash styles, mainly used as scratchpad for development before moving the final products to the other 3 partitions.

2. For the front mic/line input jack there is a three-position switch (mic1, mic2 and line) to set for impedance matching, and use the round knob below the switch for input level adjustment depending on how hot the input signals are. You can connect external sound source through the input jacks at the back of the PSR9000 but the sounds will not be processes by PSR9000's internal harmonizer and effects. Using the front mic/line input you can press the rightmost column of buttons for vocal harmony effects (especially the DSP(8) and VH buttons) for effects setup. You can also hit the third button in the digital studio section to access the Mixing Console for effects fine tuning for microphone/line sounds (at the very bottom row of the parts setting page). You can experiment different settings and the key is to get hot enough signals without distortion.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#188839 - 01/13/01 05:51 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
MisterEd Offline

Paul Ip,

Thanks again for info, sorry I didn't reply sooner, but the whole family has been sick(including myself) with a stomach virus.

Does Yahama sell samples specifically for the PSR9000.

One thing I'm surprised at is that I haven't seen any manuals that delve deeper into the PSR9000?

------------------
Ed

#188840 - 01/13/01 10:06 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Mister Ed

I seem to recall that there is an aftermarket manual for the PSR9000--but it's in German.

Clif

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 01-13-2001).]

#188841 - 01/13/01 07:44 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
MisterEd Offline

Clif,

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately, I cannot speak German. If you happen to hear of something in English, please let me know.

Thanks

#188842 - 01/13/01 08:20 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
MisterEd,

I could not find any samples dedicated to PSR9000/9000 Pro released by Yamaha. However, a member of this forum Eric B. mentioned that Peter Schips in Germany has made dedicated samples for PSR9000/9000 Pro for sale. I also went to the PSR9000 German site to look at the forum and found that Peter Schips is indeed very active and knowledgeable there. Since you do not know German, if you click the following link you will enter the site in English translation:
http://babel.altavista.com/translate.dyn?lp=de_en&doit=done&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cd-soft.de

You can listen to the demos of samples at that site to decide to try it or not.

I personally have not purchased any samples from CD Soft and so I have no comments on the quality of samples and services.

Paul Ip
from Texas

[This message has been edited by Paul Ip (edited 01-13-2001).]

#188843 - 01/14/01 07:46 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
MisterEd Offline

Paul,

Thanks for the info - I check out and update you.

------------------
Ed

#188844 - 01/14/01 09:03 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-9000 v/s Korg PA-80
UlrM Offline

The company in Germany, Peter Schips is working for, is called CD-Soft ( http://www.cd-soft.de ). The samples you can purchase there for the PSR9000 (and also for the PSR8000) are the best you can get for your PSR. I've compared what Yamaha is offering and what you can order from CD-Soft. I would never change my CD-Soft disc's against original Yamaha discs!! Try out the demos you can download for free.

Ulrich

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online