SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#188042 - 03/16/02 01:31 AM Yamaha pcs, pst, sst Styles ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Yamaha pcs, pst,sst Styles. There have been no comments about some of the new styles in the PSR2000 & CVP209. A number of Styles have the extensions. pst or sst or pcs. If these extensions are renamed with .sty they all load into the 9000 & 9000Pro. Some however produce unusual results when a minor or a seventh chords are played. Can anyone put more light on this subject?

Graham UK

#188043 - 03/16/02 12:47 PM Re: Yamaha pcs, pst, sst Styles ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
It seems as though Yamaha has responded to concerns about their earlier styles and revamped some of them in the newer boards. It also seems as if they have changed formats on some of them. I'm not sure whether the new formats are needed because of the complexity of the styles or because Yamaha is trying to make them more difficult to copy and / or convert.

There was a rather detailed discussion about it on Bob Gelmans Yahoo groups PSR styles site. It may help shed a little more light on the subject for you Graham. It seems as if even some of the people who are known as good style makers are having difficulties converting / making good sounding styles for use on the newer Yamaha boards. Maybe there are other reasons, but I find it to be more than just a little coincidental that it suddenly seems that on the new boards, good style making has become seemingly more difficult if not next to impossible at the same time that Yamaha has asked that their styles be removed from public domain, and that they've announced plans to offer the styles themselves, but if the asking prices I had seen are true they can keep them. ( unverified at this time, but something along the order of 3 USD per style ).

I'll admit I do miss the Yamaha styles just a little for live work now that I no longer have a PSR, but I can live with the ones on my PA80. At least I can make my own styles that sound decent on it fairly easily for the tunes that their styles don't work well with.

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-16-2002).]

#188044 - 03/16/02 09:55 PM Re: Yamaha pcs, pst, sst Styles ?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
AJ

Yamaha isn't wasting a lot of time at trying to make some more money on their old keyboard styles. Check out this link: http://www.digitalmusicworld.com/superstore/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=3&CT=&mscssid=FLQNJXNRKCSR2GHU0G0KN2DA02L14K1C
Click on the "Golden Oldies" and you'll find styles from the PSR5700, 6000 and 6700. And Yamaha is only charging $25 for 6 styles! I'll bet it won't be too long before we start seeing the other PSR models on this list.

Tom G.

#188045 - 03/16/02 10:13 PM Re: Yamaha pcs, pst, sst Styles ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Thanks for your reply's...A number of the stated styles switch voices on the minor or seventh chords, you can see this voice changing on the 9000 screen if you are in the style editing page at the time, although this voice change does not show its self in Cakewalk if the file is examined. Possible some System Exclusive to the hardware on PSR2000 & CVP209 ???
Example...Style file Swingin Boogie, BASS part switches to BRASS when playing Minor Chords.

Graham UK

#188046 - 03/17/02 08:58 AM Re: Yamaha pcs, pst, sst Styles ?
ulrich Offline

Loc: Germany
With the PSR1000, PSR2000 and the new CVP series Yamaha has extended the style format. At the very end of the style an additional section is added, storing the OTS settings and some information used by the music database.

On Simon Williams site ( http://www.svpworld.com/index.htm ) there is a tool available from Michael Bedesem for deleting this additional information ( http://www.svpworld.com/util_stylefix.htm ).

After that, the styles are playing witout any problem in the 'older' boards.

If you have further questions, please contact me via email.

Ulrich

[This message has been edited by ulrich (edited 03-17-2002).]

#188047 - 03/17/02 09:09 PM Re: Yamaha pcs, pst, sst Styles ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I see that part of it is for the music database and for the OTS settings, but I also notice that the newer styles have a lot more tracks in them than the old ones did. There seems to be some kind of intricate Sysex messages that allow the layering of sounds on one channel from 2 or more different tracks. I don't recall some of the older styles being like that, but hey, what do I know?

Wow, Tom, I checked the style site out from the URL that you posted above.. It appears that they are already charging for some of their very old styles. Well, good luck Yamaha, with your styles and your PSR line.... geez

korg AJ

#188048 - 03/18/02 03:40 PM Re: Yamaha pcs, pst, sst Styles ?
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
A near term by product of Yamaha's decision to pull styles (and sell them)was a project I recently participated in that resulted in the conversion of some 180 styles from the KN5000 for the PSR series. There were more styles in the KN5000, but some could not convert well because -- probably because of this major vs minor chords triggering different instruments or base chords. But many did convert very well and sound terrific. Let's see now, 180 styles at $25 per 6 styles would mean Yamaha would expect to receive $750 for this package. However, the going internet price is $0. The ready availability of these free styles, and many more available at the PSR-styles Yahoo group as well as other sites, will severely limit the demand for styles directly from Yamaha.

Here is a link to the folder that includes these PSR-converted KN5000 disk sets: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/files/JoeW/

You may have to join the yamaha-psr-styles group to get access to the folder, but joining is free. By the way, TomTom provided the information that allowed us to set the tempos in these styles to the default tempos originally used on the KN5000.

Quote:
Originally posted by TomTomSF:
AJ

Yamaha isn't wasting a lot of time at trying to make some more money on their old keyboard styles. Check out this link: http://www.digitalmusicworld.com/superst...G0KN2DA02L14K1C
Click on the "Golden Oldies" and you'll find styles from the PSR5700, 6000 and 6700. And Yamaha is only charging $25 for 6 styles! I'll bet it won't be too long before we start seeing the other PSR models on this list.

Tom G.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online