Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187574 - 10/07/05 11:18 PM Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
ToneMaster Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Has anyone compared these 2 arrangers?
They are about the same in price.

If you have, what are the major differences with the sounds?
What are the major differences with the features?

#187575 - 10/08/05 04:43 AM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Yes, I have compared the two boards and both are good. It's all down to personal preference, just keep in mind that both Korg & Roland do not bring out replacement models every 5 minutes. In fact Roland have released V2 G70 which is a free download update plus you can purchase a optional plug-in board containing new styles & samples if required.
We have just returned from the Caister Keyboard Festival UK and for me the best board there was the Korg PA1X followed by Rolands G70. The best value keyboard being Korg PA50 at only £699.

#187576 - 10/08/05 06:05 AM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I too have just returned from Caister, and I agree with Graham UK, at the price point you are looking at the Korg gives Excellent Performance, however if you are a Home Player with not a great deal of experience with keyboards, then Tyros 2 would probably be a better buy.
If you are prepared to spend more, then also have a look at the Wersi Ikarus with OAS 7 or the Liontracs Media station as these are software based, and have the added advantage of being able to play Giga Samples and use VST Plug ins, (Soft Synths, Emulation Programs etc) they also work out cheaper in the long run as you don’t need to change the instrument when something new comes out. (Major upgrades are mainly software based meaning you get a virtually new instrument for considerably less money then it would cost to trade in your old instrument for a new one)

Bill

#187577 - 10/08/05 12:03 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Why spend more when the Mediastation is cheaper than the Tyros 2, go check it out.

#187578 - 10/08/05 12:55 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Craig_UK;

I think the reasons would be, but are not limited to;

1) The demos are not that great, although they do give an indication of potential. All the demos are of the similar style of music which do not showcase its capabilities.

2) Their aren't any demos showcasing the quality of the arranger portion styles, intros, variations, ending. The demos don't specify what is actually being done ( i.e. is the music sequenced, is it a wav file, mp3 etc..)

3) The web page is sparse, and there are no definitions of the features it provides. ( i.e. audio-midi-arranger) Further, an online manual like other companies provide would be very helpful in order to learn and answer the many questions I and am sure others have.

4) I think some individuals are afraid to buy a KB with no support/service in their area. ( yes i know their is web support avaliable)

Don't get me wrong, this KB interests me. I have been looking at it for sometime and I want to like it. The mediastation looks has alot of potential, and is the future of Kbs, but how am I suppose to realize what the KB is capable of if i can't play it. The next best assesment tool would be from company internet/Demos-audio/videos etc... but they aren't that great. So how else am I supose to make my assesment?

The difference is that Yamaha has provided the ins & outs of the KB even before it is avaliable in stores. So people knoe what they are buying for the most part even before they physically buy it. Tyros's maketing machine has flooded the internet with information/manuals/demos/videos of all the aspects of the KB.

PS-I very much look forward to your assesments and demos. But I do find it ironic, that I have to look to a purchaser of the mediastation to help me understand & give me more incite into the KBs potential. Shouldn't that be the companies job? I think Wersi has done the same thing (poor info & distribution) with their Ikarus & Abacus.

Regards;
BN

#187579 - 10/08/05 09:15 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
oleg7 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If you intend to use the arranger functions on the Korg then these keyboards cannot be compared. All Yamaha styles have good transitions between variations and have short endings. Many Korg styles are unusable due to bad transitions / fills and lack of short endings.

#187580 - 10/10/05 02:58 AM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
Booby Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by oleg7:
If you intend to use the arranger functions on the Korg then these keyboards cannot be compared. All Yamaha styles have good transitions between variations and have short endings. Many Korg styles are unusable due to bad transitions / fills and lack of short endings.

I disagree again on this, it's the same old story that the transition are not smooth.
And you know that in the Korgs you have also the possibility to decide what's the fill to be played, you can loop the fill and you can chain fills, that's much more creative.
I really don't like to have transitions decided from the arranger (and from the style programmer) in a pro-arranger (this is ok for me in a digital piano with accompaniments), I would like to drive the car not someone else.

Cheers.

#187581 - 10/11/05 06:18 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
ToneMaster Offline

I will be using the arranger functions most of the time, since I will not always have the band with me, so styles, quality of sounds (as natural sounding as possible) and ease of use are 3 top criteria for me, being as though price is about the same.
Does anyone know if any of the grand pianos for the T2 include the Super Articulation technology? Besides the sax and classical guitar, what other voices utilize this technology?
Also, does anyone know if the Tyros II is capable of music notation based on what you play, like the G70?
Finally, is the screen on the T2 a touch screen?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

#187582 - 10/11/05 07:38 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by ToneMaster:
3 top criteria for me:

1.I will be using the arranger functions most of the time

2. styles, quality of sounds (as natural sounding as possible

3. ease of use

ToneMaster: I own & play (professionally) the Yamaha Tyros1, and have auditioned the Korg PA1Xpro. Though I've not auditioned the new Tyros2 myself yet, I've actually heard one played live by a musician over the phone, as well had discussions with several people who have actually played it and who have directly compared it to the Tyros1, as well as PA1Xpro.

1. Based on my lengthy experience with Tyros1 and limited time playing the KorgPa1Xpro, I can confidently tell you that the Yamaha OS is FAR EASIER & USER FRIENDLY to navigate than Korg's, making on the fly stage performance much more intuitive. As far as arranger functions themselves, Yamaha uses a simple but effective method of allowing you to easier trigger fills by pressing the variation button itself rather than having to press a separate fill button. The limitation of this method is that there are only 4 fills available, and each is linked to a specific variation. The Korg Pa1Xpro on the other hand provides more fills/flexibility of assigning & triggering.

2. Sounds & Styles: This is hard to answer. Comparing Tyros1 to the Korg PaX, I think they are comparable, but different. For bread & butter acoustic voices & styles, I find Yamaha's most satisfying. On the other hand, Korg's got more innovating fresh contemporary styles & sounds that I really miss on the Tyros1. Ok, now along comes the new Tyros2, with it's 42 new awesome sounding Super Articulation Voices. Not only are they awesome sounding, but you can actually have them sounding unbelieveably realistic playing them live on the keyboard (with no effort) 'out of the box', making all the hours of previous playing emulation technique obsolute. If you're looking to play acoustic instruments live on the keyboard, then Tyros2 is definitely the one to beat now.

3. Ease of Use. #1 above answers this.

Quote:

Does anyone know if any of the grand pianos for the T2 include the Super Articulation technology?

The Grand Piano (stereo) voice is the SAME as included in Tyros1. Currently no Super Aticulation Piano is included on T2, but there remains open the possibility that Yamaha might (I repeat, only might, who really knows but them) eventually offer a Grand Piano Super Articulation Voice for download into the Tyros2, as with the advent of Tyros2, it's now possible, first the first time with Tyros to store & load brand new sampled custom Voices into the keyboard, and yet another reason I chose to upgrade from T1 to T2.

Quote:

Besides the sax and classical guitar, what other voices utilize this technology?

Here's the list of the 42 Tyros2 Super Articulation Voices: Concert Strings, Studio Strings, Tremolo Bowing 1/2, Spiccato, Big Band Brass, Smooth Brass, Brass Fall f/mf, Brass Shake 1/2, Accent Falls, Trumpet, Silver Trumpet, Golden Trumpet, Big Band Trumpet, Trumpet Fall, Trumpet Shake 1/2, Saxophone, Big Band Sax, Rock Sax 1/2, Concert Guitar, Flamenco Guitar, Steel Guitar, Pedal Steel Guitar, Warm Solid, Clean Solid, Guitar Hero, Heavy Rock, 70s Solid Guitar, Nylon Guitar, Folk Guitar, Warm Electric, Clean Electric, Half Drive, Feedbacker, Magic Bell, Harpsichord, Jazz Rotary, Rock Rotary

Quote:

Finally, is the screen on the T2 a touch screen?
No, and that's a GOOD thing imo, as because LCDs screens of all arranger brands, are not easily viewed in bright sunlight, a touchscreen would make the keyboard pretty much un-navigational in outdoos. With the Tyros, there is a tilt screen to help, but even when the screen is not viewable, I'm able to easily continue to navigate with the LCD screens side buttons.

ToneMaster, the bottom line is: it's all about making music. I think both boards have their strengths and would be excellent choices in bringing you keyboard music making rewards & enjoyment. Hope my answers were of some help. Good luck in whatever keyboard you decide on.

Scott

#187583 - 10/12/05 11:20 AM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Here is an interesting letter from another forum:

Just received a letter from my local music store which highlights the changes you will see on the new tyros 2.
This is the gist of the letter.
Over the last two years there has been 2 significant developments - THAT THE TYROS LACKS.
1. The Korg PA1x - this keyboard took sound quality and expression to a new level - far greater than the Tyros. The only drawback has been the ease of use: things are generally a lot easier on the Tyros.
Justin, my local guru, then goes on to say, if he was given the task of designing the ultimate keyboard, this is what he would do.
1. Keep the same operating system as the Tyros.
2. Add the awsome quality of the Korg PA1x's sounds and rhythms with their amazing expression.
3. Add the USB feature as on the PSR3000 but put it at the front where the disk drive used to be.
4. Ability to easily make a CD and add other 'live' instruments or vocals.
5. Organ section - to make the keyboard comparable in sound to a traditional organ.

Well - THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YAMAHA HAVE DONE WITH THE NEW TYROS 2.

The launch is October 2005 with a price of about £3000, this is with stand and new speakers.
A part exchange price of £1334 for my PSR3000, which leaves a balance of £1666.

I can almost see you Tyros owners drooling with anticipation. Well I too am going to join the club.

There's bound to be a demonstration day when it arrives. I intend to be first in the queue.

Joe Harper

#187584 - 10/12/05 05:59 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
oleg7 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Tonemaster, if the use of styles is very important to you, then you must audition the Korg by yourself and see if you are happy with the fills and short endings (or the lack of short endings). If you are happy with those, then I think that Korg is a great pro keyboard that is worth bying and it has some features that are superior to Tyros (e.g. ability to trigger program changes on external modules while playing style parts , MP3 player, etc). Sounds are subjective... But, if you feel like the styles are not very user friendly and a lot of additional programming will be needed, then Korg is not for you. One thing about Yamaha styles is that even if they do not always have a "live" feel, the fills transition very smoothly and ALL styles have a short ending, so you can end the song quickly. Korg does a great job on their new styles. They have a better "live band" sound IMO. I just wish that they cleaned up all the styles and programmed the short endings as well. Good luck.

#187585 - 10/12/05 07:22 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
At this time, The T2 is only available in select areas around the World. This makes it a little hard to compare it to anything, don't you think?
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#187586 - 10/12/05 07:56 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
ToneMaster Offline

Thank you all for your insightful information.

I have actually played the PA1xpro and I thought the sounds were good however the styles/fills didn't blow me away, for $3,500. When I heard the Tyros2 sounds/styles from the net, I was amazed at the realism of the sounds, especialy the ones using the articulation technology. Not much on the pianos though, which I primarily use. Any improvement from the original Typos?

Not to throw another wrinkle in this, but back in the summer, after searching high and low for a music store that had a Roland G70 to try out, I finally found one and drove 2 hours to play it. Again, I wasn't blow away with the sound quality - in addition, the Roland rep was new to the keyboard and was not able to trully demonstrate it to its full potential. They were trying to sell it for about $5,000.

Bottom line - I want a high quality keyboard that is easy to use and I don't have to spend countless hours tweaking to get just the right sound/style; for me, that's not why I would pay over $3,000 for a keyboard. If I'm paying this much, it better sing too.

I play with a church band - various types of songs/styles, and often depend on the arranger as the other band members don't always show up. I need something I can learn quickly as I can't afford any downtime. I'm hoping that going from my current Yamaha PSR-740 to the Tyros2 will not require a huge learning curve.

Can anyone please tell me if the Tyros2 has the power supply inside, or is it external, like some of the lower models (PSR-740)?

Thanks.

#187587 - 10/12/05 08:07 PM Re: Korg PA1Xpro vs Tyros II
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Can anyone please tell me if the Tyros2 has the power supply inside, or is it external?

Internal. - Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online