SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#187531 - 11/30/04 08:07 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If I never had to move my gear again ... I would have a completely different setup. This 3k would be a fond memory ....

#187532 - 11/30/04 09:17 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Dave, you got the point...

Now, say you'd keep the Ty as a backbone to your music, how do you "customize" your sound (eg. I keep the drum/percussion/bass channels going with the style, but usually turn off most of the other channels). Tell you, the sound is terrific like this if you have a couple of good guitar and sax players.

My problem is when they are not there, I just don't like to go back to the presets, it just doesn't work for me. This is my problem.

DO you think that adding the motif ES7 (or equal) would solve this?

Apparently, Al already owns this setup, but it does not seem to be very helpful for my purpose (Al: you have not found a way to trigger the Tyros chords from the mo, or is it that it is just not possible to do that?).

TA

#187533 - 12/01/04 08:01 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Amelio,
since we seem both interested in the Motif ES, I have decided to share with you an interesting information: a Motif ES rack will be shown at next winter NAMM:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20041129/dal20.jpg

Ciao!
Andrea

#187534 - 12/01/04 08:09 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Dreamer Offline

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 12-01-2004).]

#187535 - 12/01/04 08:28 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
BCtines Offline

You might consider using the Ty for your rhythm section. Add to you gig rack a good 88-key controller and a good sound module (Roland XV's are simple and have good selections.

my controller is a Yamaha P-120 which I play as lead over the rhythm section of the Ty. If I want a sound (voice/patch) not in the Ty or P-120, I can select one from stock, or one I created from a Roland XV-2020.

All thre units connect via a MIDI 4/4 patch bay and all mount in a Stantastic rack with a 2-rack case on the floor that houses my power conditioner and patch bay.

Gig 2-3 times/week with this and am pushing age 70. Each piece of this rig is relatively light.

Alternative would be to take the P-120 out of the mix and controlol the XV module with the Ty. Haven't tried that yet as I need 88 keys.

Advantages are pricem, weight, and simple to operate on the fly.

#187536 - 12/02/04 01:44 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Amelius Offline

Thanks Andrea for sharing info and pic. Also, TA BCtines for sharing your setup.

Andrea, yesterday I had the opportunity of trying different setups and solutions; just let me share with you all some thoughts:

1. I tried Motifes7. It has great sounds and progr. abilities but I would end up using 20% of it, and selling it after a year.

2. I also tried the S90. Again great sounds, very good workstation and 88kys with great feel. Better solution for me

3. This made me think of another even more flexible solution, which I tried: Yamaha P90 (which is the non amplified version of P120, same keybed, excellent to carry around) + RACKS eg. Motif, MO ES, else.

The benefit of this solution for me is that I get 88ks, Ty for ready rythm/backbone parts, Flexible and easy/cheaper-to-update setup as for sounds and all the rest.

What do you think of it?

PS: Al, Andrea, the dealer told me that it is possible to control Ty's rythm and chords via midi from the P90, S90, MOES. Anyone experience on this?

#187537 - 12/02/04 03:37 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
smythrocks Offline

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI. USA
Very interesting....indeed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Amelio,
since we seem both interested in the Motif ES, I have decided to share with you an interesting information: a Motif ES rack will be shown at next winter NAMM:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20041129/dal20.jpg

Ciao!
Andrea

#187538 - 12/02/04 04:59 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Propellerhead's new Reason 3.0 is looking very interesting. They've developed several new features designed for live use, including the Combinator which allows you to store complex combinations of virtual devices/samples/patches/effects as a single patch that can be recalled as a midi program. New sample browser too. I've always been interested in using Reason live but it didn't seem practical until now. You could get a laptop and Reason for almost what the Motif Rack ES will sell for and have a lot more bang for the buck, not to mention a whole fleet of new sounds. Check out Reason here:
http://www.propellerheads.se/

#187539 - 12/06/04 12:34 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Amelius Offline

Anyone?

PS: Al, Andrea, the dealer told me that it is possible to control Ty's rythm and chords via midi from the P90, S90, MOES. Anyone experience on this?

#187540 - 12/06/04 02:57 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Dreamer Offline

Amelio,
I have never tried to control the Tyros via another keyboard, but it shouldn't be difficult: all you have to do is to match the Tyros "midi in" channels (left and right) with the "midi out" of the other keyboard. You could also split the other keyboard to control the Tyros via left hand and be free to play at will with your right hand.
Can you imagine having at your disposal a 76 or even 88 notes Tyros?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online