SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187521 - 11/29/04 03:55 AM Tyros and ... what else?
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Hi guys,

just a very direct question. I am a very happy Tyros owner and I'd like to add a Motif ES 7 to the set up, to be able to be more "creative" in a live performance (not gigs), using the preset arpeggios and so on (which I guess could be obtained if more multipads were available). The extra octave is also a great plus.

IYO,
1. will I be able to decently control the Motif via Tyros, or would it be better viceversa?
2. Is this a good use of my money, or would you look at somenthing else.

Thanks for comments and help.

Amelio

#187522 - 11/29/04 05:11 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The Motif is very close to the Tyros is some of the sounds. I have the MO ES 88 and I control the Tyros from the Motif to take advantage of the quick sound changes on the Tyros.

The motif can't hold a candle to the styles on the Tyros. I can't find a quick and easy way to incorporate the arpeggios in the Motif to realtime playing.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#187523 - 11/29/04 05:14 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Amelio,
1- the ideal setup would be to use the Motif 7 as a master controller and the Tyros as a slave, because this would enable you to make full use of the 76 keys (they have also a better feel, compared with the Tyros' own keys). At the same time you could also create your own performances on the Motif -in split mode- and layer them with the Tyros' internal sounds. I too have been thinking of a solution like that; my idea would be to use the Motif arpeggios together with the Tyros styles, setting the Tyros clock to "master" and the Motif to "slave".
2- Another option would be to use a different 76 notes controller, like a Fantom X7 or the Korg PA1X-pro or even the new Roland G70. But, all in all, I think that the Motif blends better with the Tyros, sound-wise (they share many sounds and also a similar effect section).
I will wait a few more weeks, then I will compare all the keyboards available and make my own choice.
Ciao!
Andrea

#187524 - 11/29/04 05:16 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Dreamer Offline

Al,
I see that we have posted at almost the same time ; have you ever thought of using the Motif arpeggios together with the Tyros styles, like I suggested?

#187525 - 11/29/04 05:47 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I know this might sound dumb, but since you have an incredible, arranger keyboard that has fantastic recording features, why don't you just create your own custom multipads and use them during performances?

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#187526 - 11/29/04 07:57 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Amelius:
I'd like to add a Motif ES 7 to the set in a live performance (not gigs)

Hmmmm...... was that for my benefit?
Or is there another type of "live performance" that's not a gig? Just trying to clarify.

#187527 - 11/29/04 03:34 PM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Al,
I see that we have posted at almost the same time ; have you ever thought of using the Motif arpeggios together with the Tyros styles, like I suggested?

I actually never considered that. What would I gain by doing that? What on the Tyros would the Motif trigger?

hmmmmm.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#187528 - 11/29/04 10:22 PM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Dreamer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I actually never considered that. What would I gain by doing that? What on the Tyros would the Motif trigger?
Al

Al,
quite the contrary: I am suggesting that you trigger the Motif arpeggios using the Tyros internal clock; this way you could use the arpeggios as additional multipads! Of course this works only with percussions, because all the other arpeggios would not respond in real time to chord changes.
What do you think?

#187529 - 11/30/04 06:50 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Thank you all,

Andrea, I'm glad we both thought of the same solution, altough I'm still uncertain about the end result... but again, just try if it has not been tried before (anyone?).

Gary, I guess I have 3 main reasons for trying this solution. One is time, I have very little time to program multipads (and else) on the Tyros (though I love its simplicity). The second is ability: I find it extremely hard to create a multipad which satisfies me professionally. Third, it's control: by adding a second keyboard I get: 1. 76 keys; 2. possibility of having a II set of voices ready, during performance, while playing on the Tyros 3. Many more buttons/slides/etc to mess about with to control phrases.

Uncle Dave, definetly it was not intended for your benefit... I know a gig is a live performance. I meant, a live performance (now and then), and the choice is not affected by having to set up every night (weight, hard labour travelling with two kbs, etc) which I called "gig".

You know I have great respect and admiration for you artists who, for the love of music, are prepared to gig and make people happy with your art night after night. You understand that for those among us who don't gig, the choice for the "perfect" set up is not as limited/restricted as the of "gigging" musicians (weight issue).
BTW, I'm glad you're still ready for a good friend-fight at your age... just kidding. Seriously, no offence intended.

Any more comments, friends...

#187530 - 11/30/04 07:33 AM Re: Tyros and ... what else?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Amelius:
You understand that for those among us who don't gig, the choice for the "perfect" set up is not as limited/restricted as the of "gigging" musicians (weight issue).

Like the above passages.....The differences in pros, non pros, amatures, gigging, non gigging etc etc etc ... here on the SZ is what makes it interesting conversation and also where arguments and dissagreements all stem from.....there are so many branchjes on this tree from so many parts of the world with so many different thought processes on ONE SUBJECT Playig Arranger Kb's....who's right? no one knows, who thinks they are rihht? know one knows......IMO its what works for you, what makes you happy, what gear you use to acheive this......is the answer. Dont you agree?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-30-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online