Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#187401 - 02/03/05 12:18 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by chdolar:
[B] I don't understand why Roland did not incorperate a Hard drive on their keyboard.......Roland uses a 50Mb SSD for internal memory( solid state disc). 50Mgs is not alot of space. Especially when companies like Korg have 20Gb drives on boards & yamaha sell 20Gb upgrades for the tyros.

@ Chdolar---are the card slots you are refering to for actual blank memory upgrade to do with as one wishes, or are you talking about the SRX slots which are for Rolands sound banks ( with burned in sound for expanding the voice sections)?
....Thank-you
Regards;
SCP

50 Mb doesn't look like a lot, but it's the largest internal memory in any arranger on the market. You can use it in any way you like, hundreds of user programs only take a few MB's. And 50 MB equals about 1.000 midifiles.

Adding the PCMCIA card slot is a clever move in my opinion, because this allows you to use any type of flash memory card. Most of us already have one or more of these cards at home from a digital camera or pocket-pc. You only need the adaptor for your particular card and that costs about $ 10,-

I have a spare 128 Mb CF card for instance. If I had this keyboard it would have a second life and could store lots and lots of user programs and about 2.500 SMF's, if I would ever use that many...

I don't have the luxury of a harddisk in my current arranger but this makes me wonder why anyone would ever need 30 gigabites in a keyboard? Only if you do harddisk MP3 recordings I guess.

------------------
Tom NL

#187402 - 02/03/05 08:56 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
BlkNotes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom NL:
[b] 50 Mb doesn't look like a lot, but it's the largest internal memory in any arranger on the market. You can use it in any way you like, hundreds of user programs only take a few MB's. And 50 MB equals about 1.000 midifiles.

Adding the PCMCIA card slot is a clever move in my opinion, because this allows you to use any type of flash memory card. Most of us already have one or more of these cards at home from a digital camera or pocket-pc. You only need the adaptor for your particular card and that costs about $ 10,-

I have a spare 128 Mb CF card for instance. If I had this keyboard it would have a second life and could store lots and lots of user programs and about 2.500 SMF's, if I would ever use that many...

I don't have the luxury of a harddisk in my current arranger but this makes me wonder why anyone would ever need 30 gigabites in a keyboard? Only if you do harddisk MP3 recordings I guess.

The first use of the large HD that would come to my mind would be the use and storage of high quality samples/voices. For instance the Triton extreme uses a Bossendorfer piano patch that consisting of 16Mb. So it wouldn't take too long to fill up 50Mb of storage with a couple of these types of voices. Second use would be to store numerous sets of sequenced arrangements. Third would be wav files. Due to their format they can consume memory.

Thanks for pointing out the PCMCIA slot

Regards;
SCP

#187403 - 02/03/05 11:19 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
chdolar Offline

No sampler - no need for huge storage.
No mp3/wav recording - no need for an (external) CD-ROM drive either, or am I wrong?

BTW: The grandX piano which is in the Fantoms is in the G70, too. Sounds great.

#187404 - 02/04/05 12:08 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chdolar:
No sampler - no need for huge storage.
No mp3/wav recording - no need for an (external) CD-ROM drive either, or am I wrong?

Yes, I agree with you. The files managed by G-70 have very little size, hence large storage capacity is not needed.
Solid state memories are more reliable, are easy to manage and you can easily move and use them on different devices (keyboard, PC, palm, camera, etc.)

#187405 - 02/04/05 06:58 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Hallo,
on my Tyros HD I stored 3000 iItems. (Songs and Styles) The space needed for is 180 MB,
less than 1% of the 20 Giga HD. Tell me , what shell I do with the 99% ?
Regards Hanspeter

#187406 - 02/04/05 08:33 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by ironhill:
Hallo,
on my Tyros HD I stored 3000 iItems. (Songs and Styles) The space needed for is 180 MB,
Regards Hanspeter

That's what I meant in my earlier post, Hanspeter. On a keyboard that doesn't have sampling, MP3 playing/recording or WAV file playing, I don't see the point in adding a 30Gb harddisk. Although relatively inexpensive nowadays it is still at least $ 80,- worth of hardware. In the case of a Tyros I would prefer 76 keys instead.

------------------
Tom NL

#187407 - 02/04/05 08:46 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
UlrichM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ironhill:
Hallo,
Regards Hanspeter

I used the HD of my 9000pro for backing up my computers workspace - and I'm NOT kidding :-).

/Ulrich

#187408 - 02/04/05 09:38 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
chdolar Offline

Well, if the audience doesn't like your performance and the customer won't pay - maybe you could trade some software and or movies you carry around on your HD to make the money.
Someone ever thought of that? (just kidding :-)

#187409 - 02/04/05 09:42 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
BlkNotes Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ironhill:
Hallo,
Regards Hanspeter
[/QUOTE

If you purchase a VSTi sampler ( even though your kb doesn't have an internal sampler) you can utilize pre-recorded sample from other companies. So, for instance Gigastudio has an orchestra library that one can buy and load on to ones keyborad. This new library includes over 4GB of orchestral
samples from every instrument family of the orchestra ( ex. strings, piano, brass etc..). So, thats where the use of the extra space of a 30 Gb HD would be very useful, and the 50Mg SSD would not suffice.

I don't think $80 for an HD on a $3500 Flagship arranger is to much to ask and only comprises 2.2% of the total cost. It at least could have been offered as an option. Therefore those that wanted it could install after a purchase.

#187410 - 02/04/05 10:46 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Hallo, haha--
some of these suggestions I expected, really. Unfortunately my 'Secretary of Treasury' didn't
grant additional money. Yesterday I ordered a SRX Expansion Board for my new G-70.
"Nothing more" she said. Other suggestions without further cost I will think over.
Regards Hanspeter

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online