SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#186290 - 01/27/05 06:37 PM How to tell if your comp records at 24bit
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hello,

I plan on eventually recording on my comp through a more professional way that my comps motherboards input. But id just like to know, is there some way i can test to see if the input on my comp can record in 24bit?

If mine doesnt can you suggest a card (under 100) that would work well?

Thanks,

Phil

#186291 - 01/27/05 08:07 PM Re: How to tell if your comp records at 24bit
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I think that most internal computer soundcards still record and play at 16 bits, unless of course you had a computer built for audio.

There is one way to tell what your card does for sure. Try setting your audio recording app( cakewalk, cubase, etc ) up for 24 bits. It won't let you if the card isn't capable. If you don't have an app that is capable, you can d/l a demo that can probably tell you. I think even some freeware DAW's now support 24 bit recording. KVR audio or Shareware Music Machine are great sites to find them.

I still have my M-Audio Audiophile Card in my older computer. It's a 24 - 96 card that does a very good job, and the noise floor is quite low for a lower end card. It is noticeably better than my Soundblaster Live card was ( cleaner, lower noise floor, etc ).

I paid $ 179.00 USd for it a few years ago. I just looked and Z sounds has it for 99 Usd.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-27-2005).]

#186292 - 01/27/05 08:13 PM Re: How to tell if your comp records at 24bit
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240390/

This one is not $100.00, but you might consider it.
http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=4810

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 01-27-2005).]

#186293 - 01/28/05 06:08 AM Re: How to tell if your comp records at 24bit
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
AJ - I also use the Audiophile 24/96 but I have the external unit as I use it with a laptop and as you say, for a low end card (£100 in the UK), it is very good. It gives very clean 24bit recordings as well as providing other functionality (Analogue and digital inputs - S/PDIF, Midi Ports etc).

I would recommend the unit or card to anyone.

Regards - KF

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 01-28-2005).]

#186294 - 01/28/05 06:22 AM Re: How to tell if your comp records at 24bit
Bluezplayer Offline

I too would recommend the Audiophile. I have an external M Audio 4 x 2 for the laptop, which also performs quite well.

I'm not quite as sure on the low end EMU stuff. I remember back when I bought the Audiophile I had gone to a website that showed spectral analysis for many cards. The Audiophile had the cleanest and lowest of any card in its price class, at least at that time. At the time, I had been considering an Echo card ( maybe the Mia ? ). It was considerably poorer ( more distortion and higher noise floor ).

AJ

#186295 - 01/28/05 06:50 AM Re: How to tell if your comp records at 24bit
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
I too would recommend the Audiophile. I have an external M Audio 4 x 2 for the laptop, which also performs quite well.

I'm not quite as sure on the low end EMU stuff. I remember back when I bought the Audiophile I had gone to a website that showed spectral analysis for many cards. The Audiophile had the cleanest and lowest of any card in its price class, at least at that time. At the time, I had been considering an Echo card ( maybe the Mia ? ). It was considerably poorer ( more distortion and higher noise floor ).

AJ

HAve you check them lately, I'm intrested..

#186296 - 01/28/05 02:34 PM Re: How to tell if your comp records at 24bit
Bluezplayer Offline

No, Vilo. It was probably about 3 yrs ago. I'm hoping I can still find the site and see if they have updated. I will be looking for a larger capacity outboard card in the near future, so I hope I can find this again.

I made the original comparison when I had decided to replace my Soundblaster Live card.

Below is another site that I also remember visiting. It also gives spectral analysis. The Event cards listed rate high here, but the Mia did not when I checked it elsewhere. This site doesn't list it at all. It also does not list the Audiophile, but I remember from reading that the Audiophile has the same chipset and basically the same electronics as the Delta series.
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online