SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185605 - 10/27/03 09:53 PM Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Saw this today at Waldenbooks. They have the complete package including extra bulbs and ac adaptor for about $15.99. Seems very handy, just wondering if its enough light to cover two pages etc. Otherwise, I may just try it as they have a 30 day return policy with receipt.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2567071665&category=1288

Best

Scott Langholff

#185606 - 10/28/03 05:46 AM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

It uses a flashlight bulb as a light source, and while there is a fair amount of light emitted, it's still dim at best. For the same amount of money, you can purchase a 110-volt clip-on music light that can handle up to a 40 watt, tubular, aquarium bulb. They are available at most music stores for about $14.95 or less. The neat thing about them is they only shine the light on the pages, they'll cover a two-page spread and they don't shine in your eyes or on the audience.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#185607 - 10/28/03 08:03 AM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
If you really would like a luxury light for two or three pages, most likely will never burn out in your lifetime, has it's own case, has a rechargeable battery for portable use, AC chord for 120V electric, great professional look, adjustable neck, etc., etc. and etc., you might take a gander at - http://www.lampcraft.com/cl.htm as I did when searching for a light a cut above the average about six years ago. I have one for my studio and one for the road. A great lifetime investment.

Not for bargain hunters or cheepies but for professionals and/or people that value their eyes and like to really see their music from beginning to end.

Grandpa Doug

#185608 - 10/28/03 08:31 AM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Douglas Dean Offline

Buy the way, they are made to be used in Europe also for 220V. Also the light has no preference of make of keyboard. (Smile)

Grandpa Doug

#185609 - 10/28/03 09:17 AM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I too own the Lampcraft 'Concert II' lamp, http://www.lampcraft.com/product.htm

I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about this lamp. I really appreciate it for its very lightweight sleek design, and that it also includes a built in battery pack, as well as can easily clamp securely to almost any portable music rack. My issue is with its flourescent tube. Even though the tube is color balanced (daylight color temparature with a bluish hue) and provides non glare even illumination, I can't get over the annoying sensation that the light is continously flickering (universally inherent design of florescent lights).

I remember quite a few years ago that many school districts across the Country (US) replaced all florescent lights with incasdecent lighting fixtures in their classrooms because they discovered students working under flouresent lights were less able to concentrate.

Scott

#185610 - 10/28/03 02:05 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Douglas Dean Offline

All six of my kids went to school here in Chicago land. All sixteen of the grand kids also. In fact, last week we went to one of their band concerts at the middle school. All were fluorescent. California? Well they have their own way of doing things I guess. I thought incandescents were a lot more expensive to operate than fluorescent. Produce a lot more heat also. Maybe that’s why California has such a money problem not to mention their electric producing nightmare of a few years. I remember a few years back arranger keyboards were not what they are now. Don’t know that they flickered at you but people sure snickered at them. Quite different now. Wonder if fluorescents have improved. Seems everybody's got em, our work places and even where all the politicians hang out and claim they are working for us. Wonder if the politicians got together with the electric juice boys and the incandescent makers and made a bundle. The reason I wonder is that the schools used to turn out some pretty decent educated kids compared to the wordless and spelless wonders of today. Could be like that article in the Time mag. I read the other day. Eggs were out and now their in. Better for you than ever. Could be the fluorescent issue was only a pocket liner for the politicos. Sure funny that good old Illinois juice does not flicker my light, my friends lights or any of the professionals that have given testimonials on the concertlight site. Could be that the Cold cathode fluorescent: length 10.5" (26 cm); diameter 0.16" (4.1 mm) Rated at 30,000 hours life. Daylight color temperature (6,000 K) Concertlight is not the old-fashioned fluorescent. The imagines of the eye, processed through the brain filled with old concepts, can many times be faulty. This is not a study done by school districts across the country. (who coordinated the study). Looking at the quality of the schools worldwide compared to ours and it’s students, what do you think about this lighting thing? Is lack of concentration due to light bulbs, the wonderful expertise of our modern schools that turn out young men and women that can’t read, write or spell even with incandescence, or what?

To sum the thing, my eyeballs don’t flicker because maybe they have been around for quite some time and are getting old. Not as much smog here as in California to irritate, my music rack and light is not attached to my keyboard or what do you think?

Grandpa Doug

#185611 - 10/28/03 02:16 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Don't know what kind of lites they yuse, but my kids can reed and rite and spel real gud.
Almost as gud as me.
DonM

#185612 - 10/28/03 02:21 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The solution to the age-old problem of using sheet music is to put that sheet music in a notebook computer, thereby eliminating the need to carry volumes of sheet music, music stand, light, etc. The notebook computer has a backlit screen, can hold more sheet music than you could carry in a tractor-trailer, weighs less than two pounds, the print is easier to read (go with the 15-inch screen) and now there's a neat, mini USB light that's available to light up the keys so you can see them in darkened rooms. Two models are available from www.cyberguys.com and the bulb last 1,000 hours. Another model uses a tiny LED light and comes with a clip so it can be attatched to the top of the computer's screen, while the other is a gooseneck rig that is flexible and can be positioned exacly where you want it. I'm buying one tonight, and at $11.49 for one, or $8.95 for the other, it's a no brainer. The product # is 142 0350. The other, less expensive light is #141 0352. Here's the link to the first light: http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=142+0350

Another problem solved by creative engineering--Hmmmm. Or was that Better Living Through Chemistry?

Cheers,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 10-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 10-28-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#185613 - 10/28/03 02:55 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I really love the goose neck lights on my 9000pro. I have one trained on my music stand and one on the little behringer mixer. That way when the rest of the house is asleep and the insomnia kicks in they and the glow from the monitor screen are the only lights in the house.

I often wonder why they left them off the Tyros? Maybe they will materialise again on the mythical Tyros Pro!

Best to all
Tony
(Grandpa Doug... I have checked this post twice for selling mistakes but please make allowances for the strange way we English spell some words )

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#185614 - 10/28/03 03:50 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Be careful when using any lights that might use a internal transformer to lower voltage. 60 Hz line HUM can result. You are better off using incandesent lights using standard line voltage.

#185615 - 10/28/03 04:58 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi all

ScottY: Aren't you the one that has the Littlite? I was looking for that thread but couldn't find it. How do you like it?

Grandpa Doug: Hello, it's good to hear from you over here on the Yamaha forum. hehehe. I was glad to hear the light works on all brands, because if I get a KN7000 too it could have gotten quite expensive for two lights.

Best
ScottL

#185616 - 10/28/03 07:38 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
ScottY: Aren't you the one that has the Littlite? I was looking for that thread but couldn't find it. How do you like it?

Yep, own BOTH the Littlite 18" gooseneck lamp http://www.littlite.com/product.php?id=25 as well as the Concert II Florescent. I utilize the Littlite for gigging and reserve the Concert II for the home practice studio. The Littlite L-3/18 attaches to the keyboard via included removable industrial strength velcro 'snap mounts', which provides quick removal to easily switch back and forth between the Tyros & PSR2000.

Though I've utilized the Concert II florescent lamp out on gigs, I prefer taking the Littlite because its halogen lamp is much brighter, making it easier to focus bright light to a specific section of the music page. The Concert II, on the other hand, produces a soft diffused effect. I like the Concert II for at home practicing, and when used in tandem with another light source, but for gig work I prefer the Littlite. - Scott

#185617 - 10/29/03 10:44 PM Re: Music light, has anyone tried one of these?
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
I've been using a gooseneck lamp purchased from Target . Make sure you point it toward you instead og the audiance. It's reall a bright halageon light for about ten dollars. Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online