SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#184853 - 10/15/07 02:51 PM The Same but Different ! ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I now own both the G70 behemoth and the PSR300 plastic wonder. Therefore I don't think I am biased toward one over the other; I've thought of selling both, but...

The sound between the two is so similar. I have a BSEQ midi file I made from my previous Korg iX300. I have it maximized for GM. I listened to the song coming from the same amp at alternate times. The sonic differences are microscopic. I would say that most sounds are pretty equal, although I do like the Y saxes and the R horns.

What a shame that Yamaha chooses to house their mid and upper level arrangers in cheesy plastic. Yes, they are lighter, but they look like something from Wal-Mart, not the music store. And the keybed is way to small. But that makes them less expensive - umh...

I give lots of credit to those who play theses Yamahas daily, as I personally am not enamored with their looks or feel. But once you put them thru an amp, they sound as good as any Roland.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Roland only because of styling - not always the best reason to buy.

#184854 - 10/15/07 03:22 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I gotta agree with you cassp...the Yamaha plastic cabinets aren't the most robust you'll find, but it does keep them very light, and my old 3k went through countless gigs and rigorous home playing and never gave a hiccup.

As far as the cheap plastic looks, the audience doesn't care as long as you can cook with it and make them happy.

Through a good set of speakers, most of the mid and TOTL arrangers will sound great...it then boils down to an OS you can live with and a weight/size you can tolerate for your type of gigging schedule.

Ian

#184855 - 10/15/07 04:21 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
Dnj Offline

SOMBEODY PLEASE BRING BACK BLACK ARRANGER KEYBOARDS!

#184856 - 10/15/07 05:01 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[b]SOMBEODY PLEASE BRING BACK BLACK ARRANGER KEYBOARDS!

[/B]

Amen to that!

#184857 - 10/15/07 05:28 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You wouldn't be saying that if you played outside in the sunshine!

Me, I like those red Nord's...

#184858 - 10/15/07 06:23 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fortunately, no one seems to care about the color of your keyboard--only the music you produce. I think a white keyboard would look neat, but it would be tough to keep clean. I've seen a few white grand pianos and really liked the appearance. Of course, there's always a can of Krylon around the house and you could then spray the keyboard any color you like.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#184859 - 10/15/07 06:27 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
Dnj Offline

Oh I miss my old VOX CONTINENTAL

#184860 - 10/15/07 06:45 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Cassp,
are you actually planning on changing???

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cassp:
[B]I now own both the G70 behemoth and the PSR300 plastic wonder. Therefore I don't think I am biased toward one over the other; I've thought of selling both, but...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#184861 - 10/15/07 07:35 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
zuki Offline

Just finished with 6 out of town jobs in 2 days. The 900 performed brilliantly. The audience loved the sleek look and fabulous sound and really didn't think it looked cheap. It's how you present things I guess. They love it because I talk it up.

I can't understand some forum members' dislike with the plastic and smaller footprint. That board is an absolute dream to play and navigate live. It's hard to imagine another board being as fluid in its functions. I am afraid to wander....

I had a VA76 for a while and the keys were great. But that dinosaur weight just was not my cup of tea.

Even auto makers have opted for plastic vs metal to reduce the overall cost and better mileage for the consumer.

I'll take the lower cost and wear and tear on my body.

I guess that's why it makes us all so different and interesting.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#184862 - 10/15/07 07:37 PM Re: The Same but Different ! ?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Just finished with 6 out of town jobs in 2 days. The 900 performed brilliantly. The audience loved the sleek look and fabulous sound and really didn't think it looked cheap. It's how you present things I guess. They love it because I talk it up.

I can't understand some forum members' dislike with the plastic and smaller footprint. That board is an absolute dream to play and navigate live. It's hard to imagine another board being as fluid in its functions. I am afraid to wander....

I had a VA76 for a while and the keys were great. But that dinosaur weight just was not my cup of tea.

Even auto makers have opted for plastic vs metal to reduce the overall cost and better mileage for the consumer.

I'll take the lower cost, with little wear and tear on my body.

I guess that's why it makes us all so different and interesting.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online