SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#183905 - 12/30/05 05:34 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Dnj,
I don't have a website or any MP3 recordings. I am,however,a professional(although that means nothing more than I make money at it.)keyboardist.
I'm a former Hammond B3/FenderRhodes player, who ended up as a Yamaha Electone instructor for several years, changing over to a demo artist/ clinician job for Yamaha PKD (portables) in Eastern Canada, when the organ business went south.I also did a lot of independent clinics for music stores, and worked with other brands of keyboard arrangers,notably Roland and Korg.
Several years ago,I took on a commitment to look after the last surviving member of my family,an uncle with dementia. I had to put my Yamaha job on hold as it involved a lot of traveling,but I already had a steady weekend playing job that I was able to keep up until a year ago.I played instrumental music for a large restaurant using various arrangers from Yamaha(and Roland)and also squeezed in some duo work with various vocalists in my area.As my uncle's disease progressed,I had to cut back more and more until I stopped playing altogether,about a year ago.
I got a second hand laptop,learned how to use it,and got on the Internet to keep busy.I ended up joining several PSR Groups and was able to maintain my skills.I dabble in stylemaking,but only on the PSR and only for personal use.
My uncle ,passed away two weeks ago,so I am presently putting my career back together . First thing I want/need to get is a CD burner/recorder as this little laptop has nothing but the basics.
Now,after that very long winded reply,I will assure you,that my first MP3 will be posted here on this site.
Thanks for your interest(and your patience for reading this far!)
Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-30-2005).]

#183906 - 12/30/05 05:43 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
Dnj Offline

Ian......
Thankyou for your great reply....
I want to wish you luck in your future musical indeavors......glad to hear that you are staying in pursuit of music....you surely have to as we all do keep up wih the ever changing high tech world of music.....I've been doing that for 35+ years & learn something new every time I step on stage every day & night. Keep an open mind, absorb information, & most of all enjoy yourself. I'll be looking for your Mp3's in the furture also....
have a Happy New Year!!

#183907 - 12/30/05 06:25 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Additional proof that the most expensive board may not have the best vocalizer - I own a technics kn6000 (which compared to some other boards is pricey) which IMHO is the BEST board in the world, because it is MINE !!!! ... BUT ... they could have left the vocalizer on the lab floor !!!
t.

#183908 - 12/30/05 10:22 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
I've got to agree that the vocalizer on the T2 is a disappointment. It's true that turning up the gain pod in the back more than just slightly causes all sorts of tinny distortion.

To ianmcnll. . .if you've got some tips for mic settings, vocalizer effects, etc., I'd like to hear about them. Thanks, DerfM

#183909 - 12/30/05 11:51 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
Gary. . .

Just tried your mic settings. Wow, big improvement over what I was using. Thanks.
Wonder what your doing with mic effects in the mixer (echo, etc). Cheers, DerfM

#183910 - 12/31/05 04:59 AM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In the mixing console under the effects tab I set the reverb at Hall 2 at a level of 40 and the T-DLY at 30. The Chorus is set at 0.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#183911 - 12/31/05 11:37 AM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Yamaha took a backward step with the vocaliser since the 9000Pro.
The Korg PAX & SD1 are far better than the 3K. T1 & T2 regarding the vocaliser. (not tried the G70)

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 12-31-2005).]

#183912 - 12/31/05 02:24 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Uh Gary,

I'm not sure if you realize, but the Vocal settings and effects settings you specify are exactly the same as the preset settings that the Tyros provides you with. The only thing you did different was the L/H balance!

Chony

#183913 - 01/01/06 06:43 AM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

They are quite a bit different than the factory settings in the PSR-3000, which is where my settings were made. And, if I recall, the default harmony voice is Mens Choir in both the Tyros and 3000. I use HighMaleQua, which is significantly different. Is it possible that you set your Tyros to the settings I posted at an earlier date and forgot about it. With the exception of a few parameters the vocal settings are retained after the keyboard is turned off.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#183914 - 01/01/06 11:37 AM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Hi Gary,

My Tyros 2 is new, and I never use the VH, so maybe you and the Yamaha techs just think alike! Or possibly you posted this once before, and they copied it!

Yes, the default VH is mens choir - but the vocal settings and effects are literally exactly the same.

And I do think they are good settings!

Chony

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online