SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#183895 - 12/30/05 11:46 AM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Frank,
You are not an authority on these instruments. As you have stated,people have different tastes...
We all choose what sounds best to us.Your opinion is only one of many,as is mine.
There is no winning here.The winner is the one who buys what sounds best to their ears.
All the best to you in the New Year,
Ian

#183896 - 12/30/05 12:17 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, who is a better authority then someone with an open mind, and has owned[not just tried] every top keyboard for the last 5 years..

I agree with Craig, that the Tyros vocalizer will work...but don;t be confused , what others are saying,,,the other guys[Roland,Korg, Gem and Ketron] are just better...It doesn't make the Tyros bad...if you are happy with it great...but also respect what people of authority know from experience[Namely Frank]..

#183897 - 12/30/05 12:33 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
ianmcnll Offline

Fran,
Because someone has tried all the top keyboards "with an open mind" does not make them an authority.
Again,we all have differing tastes about what sounds best to our own ears.
It is still only one person's opinion.
Thanks for your opinion.
Ian

#183898 - 12/30/05 01:09 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
You are all correct, I have just had expereince with allot of clients that have said the same thing, it is personal taste.

I'm not saying I am the authority on anything, far from that, but I'm sure if you did a blind taste test, I guarantee the Tyros will score low,. doesn't mean it can't be used and used in a good way, my father 1987 s10 pick-up is still a great truck and works well, but I would like the 2006 comfy model more.

Once again if anybody has happen to tweak the harmonizer can you send me the settings, I am very open minded, I've tried them all. just like a reviewer in a magazine, it's all opinion, take it or leave it, i really think I'm pretty darn close on this,

No offense, just friends, and I'm stating a thought I had because of the money I spent on the Tyros2 being the all mighty board I just would have hoped for a better vocalizer.

Sorry for pissing anybody off., once again just my feelings....

#183899 - 12/30/05 01:25 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, I agree with you, it is just one person's opinion...I just thought that since Frank had spent hours day in and day out with all of these boards[not in a music store for an hour], that he would have a pretty good insight on the matter..

I know I can not say that I have had the experience on all the top boards...that makes him more of an authority than I...

#183900 - 12/30/05 01:28 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
Dnj Offline

Franky dont be sorry just state your opinions pro or con....some will except it, some will learn, some will ignor it, and some will leave... This is what forum discussions are all about, the culmination of ideas & opinions.

#183901 - 12/30/05 02:27 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
ianmcnll Offline

Thank you Frank.My only beef was that someone's opinion would be taken as the end;when in fact,it should be just the beginning.
As for settings...too many variables.As you know,it depends on where,and what you are playing,and the sound of your own voice.
Again,it still boils down to individual taste.I get my best results,not with either of the Tyros(or is it Tyrii ?),but with the PSR-3000,so,again it is not always the most expensive instrument that will work the best for me.I have tried all the others extensively,and they are all satisfactory,but just not for me.
Like you,I have to really be pleased with what I hear,and like you,I make my living from performing.
Thank you for your understanding response,and,again, like you,it was not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings.I am a faithful daily reader of this forum,and find it invaluable for both personal reasons,and in my work.
Happy New Year,
Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-30-2005).]

#183902 - 12/30/05 02:30 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Like you,I have to really be pleased with what I hear,and like you,I make my living from performing.
Ian

Ian....I would assume your a Pro also.....would love to hear some of your work. mp3, website? etc..

#183903 - 12/30/05 02:34 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I agree with the shortcomings of the Yamaha vocalizer. Presently, I'm on my 3rd Yamaha board. So, I went out and got the TC Helicon Voice Works. It fills the bill!

#183904 - 12/30/05 03:48 PM Re: Yamaha continues the tradition for a horrible sounding vocalizer on the T2
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK boys and girls--time to stop bickering and post your settings. This is not a peeing contest, and I for one would like to read something informative. OK--I'll go first

PSR-3000, Crown CM-311-A and Samson Q7 mics
AMP: Logitech Z-5500 and Bose PAS with a single sub, using #57 preset and fired through channels 1 & 2 from the keyboard's standard output.

My mic settings are:

Low EQ= 56, -2
Mid EQ= 1.2 khz, -4
High EQ= 8.0, +5

Noise Gate OFF, -45db

Compressor: Off, -18, 3.0, 81

Vocoder Control:
Play, Off, Lower

Bal= L35>H

Mode= Auto
Chord= XF
Mute+ Off
Vol= 85

For the vocal harmony type, the HighMaleQua seems best for my voice which is somewhat deer.

After setting up your mic and harmony settings on the keyboard, save this
information to a registration. Make sure the Mic Setting box has a check
mark in it when you press the Registration Memory button and the information
will be saved to that registration. Then name the registration and save it
again.

This provides the best vocal quality I can get from the keyboard, and on small jobs when I don't take the laptop and Digitech VR, this works OK--not great, but OK. Much better sound when harmonies are fired through the Digitech, then fired through the keyboard's line/mic in.

OK! I showed you mine, let's see yours!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 12-30-2005).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online