SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#183769 - 01/13/00 09:42 PM x1 expandability?
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Lately I have been thinking about buying the x1. Do I have to buy the hard drive too? If the only thing I gain from buying the solton together with internal hard drive is more styles, I can just buy a "regular" (cheaper) hard drive and then get styles from the internet. Does this make sense? Are their anough x1 styles on the web? The emc styleworks home page does not mention the x1, 9000, or 740 as compatible with emc style works. Is this true?
The x1's voices are magnificent but I think there aren't enough voices. Can I get more "good" voices for it? I would especialy like to be able to have the Yamaha sweet voices if it's legal to copy.
Anyone can help please? Thanx.

------------------
Jick

#183770 - 01/13/00 11:14 PM Re: x1 expandability?
Jick Duck Offline

Thanx Dave, I understand everything you say, but can't the x1 import wav files? There are so many (infinit!) wav files on the net, no? Does the 8000/9000 export or save sounds as wav files?
Although I never tried it, I think that user sampling would lower the quality of the sound. What do you think about that?
Does the x1 do stereo sampling? Maybe sample on a computer.

------------------
Jick

#183771 - 01/14/00 01:16 AM Re: x1 expandability?
Marek Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Jick and Dave,

concerning the styles and sounds - I am not a lawyer I do not know the copyright rules for the styles, but one thing is clear: there do not have to be the Solton or Yamaha people, who put the styles or sounds (or offer it) in the Internet. If EMC updates their software so that it can convert Solton X1's styles to the Yamaha format, I am sure, there will be a few X1 users, who will save the internal styles and convert them (look at Bob Gelman's site and you will see how many internal styles are there). I personnaly would download or buy the X1's styles at once.
Dave, the EMC makes only the software, they are not interested, where the users get the styles to convert them. They do not need the rights for the styles, but the styles FORMAT's right.

The patches cannot be saved as easily as the styles and I assume that the PSR 9000 is protected against saving the internal sounds.
The PSR 9000 can export WAV/AIFF and import WAV/AIFF + the native PSR 8000 format.

Jick, you have very difficult questions. :-) I know, that the patches in the PSR 9000 were stereo sampled. But I did not read a word in the user manual, that new voices also could be stereo sampled. The PSR 9000 has only one microphone input. I am also curious, if the PSR 9000/X1 can do stereo sampling. Does anybody know it?

Regards

Marek

#183772 - 01/14/00 01:17 AM Re: x1 expandability?
Marek Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Jick and Dave,

concerning the styles and sounds - I am not a lawyer I do not know the copyright rules for the styles, but one thing is clear: there do not have to be the Solton or Yamaha people, who put the styles or sounds (or offer it) in the Internet. If EMC updates their software so that it can convert Solton X1's styles to the Yamaha format, I am sure, there will be a few X1 users, who will save the internal styles and convert them (look at Bob Gelman's site and you will see how many internal styles are there). I personnaly would download or buy the X1's styles at once.
Dave, the EMC makes only the software, they are not interested, where the users get the styles to convert them. They do not need the rights for the styles, but the styles FORMAT's right.

The patches cannot be saved as easily as the styles and I assume that the PSR 9000 is protected against saving the internal sounds.
The PSR 9000 can export WAV/AIFF and import WAV/AIFF + the native PSR 8000 format.

Jick, you have very difficult questions. :-) I know, that the patches in the PSR 9000 were stereo sampled. But I did not read a word in the user manual, that new voices also could be stereo sampled. The PSR 9000 has only one microphone input. I am also curious, if the PSR 9000/X1 can do stereo sampling. Does anybody know it?

Regards

Marek

#183773 - 01/15/00 10:06 PM Re: x1 expandability?
Jick Duck Offline

Thanx Marek,
Do you mean to say that the 8000's voices can be exported as wav. files? If so, then I can have all the 8000's voices(including the sweet voices!) on the x1, or any keyboard that imports wav. files! do you think I'm right? Also, can the x1 export the sounds(as wav.)?

------------------
Jick

#183774 - 01/16/00 08:48 AM Re: x1 expandability?
AndyG Offline

Loc: Wiltshire,UK
Hi Jick,

The PSR9000 (and I think the 8000) will allow you to export samples as WAV or AIFF.

However, these are USER sampled sounds - NOT the internal sounds - therefore the answer to your original question is: No, you cannot steal the PSR9000's sweet voices and stick them in an X1!!

You could, as Uncle Dave suggests, sample the sounds (one by one, multi-sample by multi-sample) from the PSR9000 into the X1...

Best Regards,

Andy.

#183775 - 01/16/00 10:41 AM Re: x1 expandability?
Jick Duck Offline

Hi Andy,
Now what happens when you take a Yamaha factory sound, lets say the sweet flute, and you edit it just a drop so that you can hear NO difference in the voice, does the psr save it as a "new user voice" or does it just save the edit data and use it on the old "sweet flute" every time you play your edited voice?
Jick

(guess I'm getting a little "pushy" :-)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online