SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182075 - 11/09/06 08:01 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I haven't tried the guitar mode on the job. It seems like more trouble than it's worth.
I still don't care for the endings option, but yes I've gotten used to using them. The footpedal helps, when I take it, which I usually don't.
I do miss the Break/fill and the multipads.
I like to use the multipad for drum sounds at the end of songs. Not essential though.
DonM

#182076 - 11/09/06 12:09 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Don..... Break/Mute can be assigned to one of the Assign Switches, or now, in OS3 (fanfare please......) it can be assigned to the FC-7 or Footswitch. Huzzah!

This is incredibly responsive of Roland, as, to be honest, I never read of anyone other than me who requested this upgrade (at least at the Danish G70 site, the main one for our arranger AFAIK). In fact, this makes it three features that have been added with myself as the sole asker..... Pretty good, huh?

Perhaps if there is something that you think could be improved with software alone, post it at the Danish site. Who knows, you could get your very own OS upgrade feature...!!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 11-09-2006).]

#182077 - 11/09/06 01:45 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I don't care about the old ladies, and Clairol won't fool the young ones!
DonM

The older gals are lots of fun to be around, and I've been able to fool some of the younger gals while performing in a dark room!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#182078 - 11/10/06 12:57 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
DonM Offline

Diki, Thanks for the help, but I had already tried assigning the break/mute, not only to the pedalboard but to the Fade In button. They work fine, but what it does is simply stop everything, and it's not very musical. The way Yamaha does it is insert a bass drum-cymbal, or something similar at the stop, then maybe a little lead back in after the break. They are not all the same, and depend on the style. I guess it's not exactly a break-mute as much as a break/fill, but that's mostly semantics.
My work-around as been simply to stop the arranger and drums with the stop switch and bring it back in with syncro-start. It's easier to do on the G70 than on Yam., because the sync-start stays on until you turn it off. The Yam. syncro-start goes off after the arranger starts. That's useful in some other ways, but not in this instance.
I am more and more overwhelmed with the LIVE sound of the G70. HankB and I listened to recordings today that I made on last night's job and it seemed as if we were listening to a very good four or five-piece band.
DonM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Don..... Break/Mute can be assigned to one of the Assign Switches, or now, in OS3 (fanfare please......) it can be assigned to the FC-7 or Footswitch. Huzzah!

This is incredibly responsive of Roland, as, to be honest, I never read of anyone other than me who requested this upgrade (at least at the Danish G70 site, the main one for our arranger AFAIK). In fact, this makes it three features that have been added with myself as the sole asker..... Pretty good, huh?

Perhaps if there is something that you think could be improved with software alone, post it at the Danish site. Who knows, you could get your very own OS upgrade feature...!!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 11-09-2006).]

#182079 - 11/10/06 05:45 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Diki, I am more and more overwhelmed with the LIVE sound of the G70. HankB and I listened to recordings today that I made on last night's job and it seemed as if we were listening to a very good four or five-piece band.
DonM

send me a few songs don

#182080 - 11/11/06 10:01 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Diki Online   content

DonM..... if you hit the Break/Mute, then DURING the break you hit a fill button, you get your 'pickup' into the next bar you want, with the advantage that YOU choose when it happens, not preprogrammed into the break, and if you DO want a whole bar of silence, no problem!

The only disadvantage is that, instead of it being just a drum pickup, the whole band comes in on the pickup......

I have a thread at the Danish site, on the New Functionality forum, asking Roland to change to a 'drums only' on a fill DURING a Break/Mute, which would make it perfect..... Add your name to the idea, and maybe Roland will see the light....

It's not as good as the Yamaha Break/Fill concept, but YOU are a bit more in control (for instance, YOU get to choose which fill is the 'pickup', so more variety), so for me it's a pick(up!).

#182081 - 11/11/06 10:06 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Diki Online   content

Quote:
I am more and more overwhelmed with the LIVE sound of the G70. HankB and I listened to recordings today that I made on last night's job and it seemed as if we were listening to a very good four or five-piece band.

That's my take on the G70 'sound' since I first heard it. Less polished and CD-like than the Yamahas, MUCH closer to a real live band. In fact I tend to not use the mastering compressor at all.... I'm trying to sound MORE live, not less!

I feel they are paying me to be a substitute band, NOT a substitute DJ......

#182082 - 11/11/06 12:27 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Diki Online   content

BTW, DonM, here's the link to the request to Roland;
http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=60&topic=965.0

#182083 - 11/11/06 12:52 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I feel they are paying me to be a substitute band, NOT a substitute DJ......

Its a shame most out there dont know the difference

#182084 - 11/11/06 02:02 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
DonM Offline

Diki, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Dnj, you are right, but WE know the difference at least!
BTW,
I had a close call today. Got to Jonesboro, LA to do a Nursing Home show with Dean and Semilive. I set everything up and as I turned on the keyboard volume got a loud buzzing. I was using a mixer between the G70 and the Bose. I checked all connections, everything o.k., still buzzing.
I changed all cables, no help. I tried a mic in the mixer, no problem there, so the problem with the G70. I tried bypassing the mixer, same buzz. I tried using the headphone outs, still buzzing.
I tried the mic output, and no buzz, so I decided to try the aux output on the G70. By this time it was time to start the show and still no sound. I was searching for the menu to assign sounds to the alternate outs and I happened to think of one more thing. I had plugged the laptop into the aux inputs of the G70. I unplugged that and the buzzing stopped. It was a bad cable from the laptop to the G70. That explained why the mic outs and, I'm sure, the aux outs were o.k., because the aux ins were assigned to them. Also why the headphone outs wouldn't work because the aux ins ARE assigned to it.
Anyway the entire problem was Donny Pesces' fault because he lost the volume knob to the aux ins, and I always have it open!! I never thought it was a problem, so didn't bother to get another knob yet. I will Monday!!
Just joshing Donny!
After that the show was great. Dean on fiddle, Bill playing rhythm guitar and singing. We had a ball, as did the residents. We do this show once a year and it generally is outside on a flatbed trailer, but last night we had a little cold snap go through and they were afraid it was too cool for the residents outside, so we had to do it inside. Played on hour, ate lunch and played another hour.
Fun, fun, fun, since I found the problem.
We had two backups in place. Dean had his Ensoniq keyboard in his van and we could have used it with sequences, and I always have the laptop, but it was much better that we were able to do it as planned.
DonM

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online