SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#181196 - 09/10/01 10:46 AM On the GIG EMERGENCIES? My Story........
Dnj Offline

Yesterday I had a double gig. One was a Broadway Show Theme Dance 200pp, and the other a Bocci Club Awards Dinner/dance 375pp.
While I was playing the first one I loaded some files into the PSR9k. Then I ejected the Floppy and YIKES!!!!! the Disc came out but not the Metal Slide protector which broke off and remained inside the floppy drive. A service realted night mare flooded my mind to try to get the piece out of my unit. When the gig was over I had 2 hrs. untill the next one so I took the KB and turned it upside down to se if the piece was loose and I heard nothing. Soooooooo this called for major surgury :>) I packed up ran to a 24 hr Drugstore and bought a Small long Tweezer and a small Flashlight hoping I could retieve the piece from the Small floppy disc opening in the drive port. I opened the spring loaded door and looked inside with my Flashlight and there it was!!!! Wedged inside was the metal piece. I got my trusty Tweezer and started to perform a surgical extratction, being the slit was so narrow I could hardly squeeze the tweezers in it but I got a grip on it and slowly pulled it to the opening then it slipped out and fell down again. I tried it again with a firm hand and steady as she goes I was able to get it thru the thin slot and out of the keyboard eliviating a nightmare, all this in between gigs sooo I got dressed, setup, and had a great gig and all is well. WHEW!!!! I hope this never happens to anybody else.

What are your Horror stories on a gig or at home involving your KB?

donny nj

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-10-2001).]

#181197 - 09/10/01 12:37 PM Re: On the GIG EMERGENCIES? My Story........
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I used to love that "Operation" game as a kid - did the KB's red nose light up when you hit the sides with the tweezer?

#181198 - 09/10/01 02:19 PM Re: On the GIG EMERGENCIES? My Story........
Dnj Offline

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Dave !! yes I was thinking of the same thing while performing the surgery :>) "OPERATION RULES"

#181199 - 09/10/01 05:27 PM Re: On the GIG EMERGENCIES? My Story........
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OOOPS! Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
(poor guy! )

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 09-10-2001).]

#181200 - 09/11/01 01:35 AM Re: On the GIG EMERGENCIES? My Story........
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Well I wasn't playing keys but bass in a band one night. One of the connections to one of the speakers in the bass cab had broken away so as it was a sealed cabinet I had had to unscrew the 15 inch speaker from the front of the cone and remove it to reconnect the speaker wire. All was going well and I fixed the connection and a few minutes before we were due to play was screwing the speaker back in. I guess it was the tension and rush of getting it done in time but as Murphy's Law would have it I slipped with the big ol' screwdriver I was using and it slipped and went right through the speaker cone. The lead singer was watching and his eyes just glazed over at the sight of me sitting there with a screwdriver in my speaker cone. Luckily it had punched out a hole but hadn't torn the cone at all. I put a small piece of duct tape on the hole to help ensure it wouldn't tear, put the front grill on the cab and played the gig without any problems. In fact that speaker ended up lasting for many years with the small hole in it.

But my heart was in my mouth when it actually happened though.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-11-2001).]

#181201 - 09/11/01 04:41 AM Re: On the GIG EMERGENCIES? My Story........
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
i hope whoever invented duct tape goes to heven. duct tape rules!!!!

#181202 - 09/11/01 06:54 AM Re: On the GIG EMERGENCIES? My Story........
BlueSuede Offline

Some years ago (long before I learned to bring everything I needed just in case...) I played in a latinoriented band. There were three guys who sang and played drums and various stringed instruments and there was I playing bass, flutes, bandoneon, etc on my speakerless keyboard.

We had a gig for a big company´s party in a big restaurant with 500 people or so.

We only had to bring our instruments. All mikes, cables, PA, etc were already in place.

When we arrived to the restaurant we found out that they had everything but monitoring. Usually this was no big deal. When we played for 50 people in a big room, I could hear myself in the PA. But now there were several rooms after eachother with about a total of 500 people.

Every room had a little loudspeaker except for the room where we were standing!

During the whole consert (about 1 hour) I heard my friends singing and playing drums and guitars, but I didn´t hear anything at all of what I played. Whenever I tried to raise my volume, people in the other rooms started to complaint about that the accordion (or whatever) drowned the other instruments. So after that hour I was soaking of sweat and without any clue of what I´ve been playing.

Thankfully the audience didn´t care much about our music. They just wanted to eat, drink and talk to eachother.

From this point I ALWAYS bring my Fender passport! (A small portable PA/monitor.)

Michael

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online