SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18055 - 12/20/99 03:22 AM Korg N5EX vs Alesis QS6.1
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a first time keyboard buyer I'm trying to decide between the Korg N5EX and the
Alesis QS6.1. Whilst the Korg seems to have more sounds the Alesis has expandability. Does the quality of the sounds differ? Can the Korg be expanded? Does one connect to a Mac more easily than the other? Is one easier to learn than the other? Are there other features that diferentiate the two? Does a shootout review of the two exist? Any help appreciated.

#18056 - 12/27/99 05:19 PM Re: Korg N5EX vs Alesis QS6.1
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
First off, check out keyboardmag.com, which has a great review archive section and covers the N5 and the QS6, although NOT the somewhat improved QS6.1 model. ALSO! Wade through the synth resource link box on SynthZone's opening page. Lots of useful info via the sites offered there.

Sound quality is relative. Just play them and decide which rings your bell most. Both have a lot to offer. Be sure the basics such as piano and strings sound good. The host soundwaves are all you get in the Korg, although I find theirs to be superior. Also gauge the feel of the keyboard, another subjective yet important issue. Does it clack, does it bounce back smoothly, can you do trills comfortably, etc.

The Alesis comes with software that lets you add your own samples to the set and use them like ROM waves. The Korg is limited to their library cards and your own evolving sets. RAM cards are way more costly than diskettes, so be aware of their expense and eventual demise due to battery death, static, etc. Disks can be safety-copied for about 50 cents a pop, whether used IN a synth with a disk drive or in an outboard computer.

The N5 has an arppegiator, whereas the Alesis does not. This makes a difference when you're a dance fan in particular. The Korg has a larger and more friendly on-board display than the Alesis, which makes it easier on the first-timer. Both offer assignable controls, the Korg's being knobs, the Alesis having sliders, Matter of taste there.

Ease of hooking up to either a Mac OR PC is a matter of the software you employ. I BELIEVE the Alesis has a serial port that lets you connect directly to the synth without an input/output MIDI card or other software. This lets you do editing and patch transfers quite easily. Check the reviews, I'm somewhat uncertain there.

I prefer Korgs because they simply feel more musical to me personally. Great basic soundwave sets, more fluid front-end controls, etc. Again, try to play the two you mentioned AND several others. The N5 would be a great choice for a starter 'board if you're just learning.

I also saw a guy do a great ambient set with just the QS6, a Theremin, an ANCIENT analog Korg (The DV800 duo-voice, no less, you old hands!) and a Digitech multi-FX box.

Music matters more than gear; just make sure you get some basic units that give you a solid foundation to build on. Either of these would be good choices, but I feel the Korg line to be a bit more, um, tactile. Read up for a while and THEN choose. After all, you're probably going to have to live with der wunderbox for quite a while, so let a mix of reading and gut feeling decide. Good Luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online