SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#180432 - 02/08/01 06:43 AM VA-7, SD-1, 9000Pro, vs. EM-2000
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Sorry about the subject title, it's a little misleading. My actual question is more of a little feedback so I could make my decision a little easier.
I currently own a Roland EM-2000, which I use in a Italian/American wedding band. I play alot of SMF files from Tran tracks, and my own. sometimes one right after another, so I need to search while one is playing. The sound of the GM playback I think is very well balanced on the Roland line, I beleive in what I've heard in the past Korg has been the only manufacter that really has a problem with GM playback, especially the balance and overall actual band sound. ( what the hell does that mean? )
anyway
I'm thinking of selling the EM-2000 and replacing it with a VA-7, then if my tax return works getting either the SD-1 or 9000PRo.
Or
just replacing the EM-2000 with one board, but I need that board to play midi files back extremely well, easy, fast with no hang ups. It really doesn't help if the band is completely embarassed if my keyboard stops working in the middle of a gig.
It seems that the VA-7 is getting overall not as much praise as the SD-1 or 9000Pro.
I've played the X1, I thought the individual sounds were somewhat good, except for the drowning in reverb on most of them. The dist guitar sounded nothing like a distorted guitar. the piano was horrible. The layout of the keyboard was so confusing ( not to say the EM-2000 is any easier, more like a rat maze )I'm just thinking if I'm playing at a wedding, start getting a couple of drinks in me, I don't want to press a wrong button because they all look the same. The styles were great hands down.
Anyway
I've played the PSR8000, and I thought the individual sounds were great, the playback of GM files were pretty good, great guitar, ok piano, great strings, great layout easy to navigate.
From what I've read the SD-1 seems to be the winner, its a company that only does pretty much one thing, and does it well, great features that the other guys don't have. Yamaha is more of we do everything and we do it good not great what do you guys think. Thanks

#180433 - 02/08/01 06:47 AM Re: VA-7, SD-1, 9000Pro, vs. EM-2000
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Ps. I've heard that the Solton stuff is very delicate compared to Yamaha. Do you guys think I will have problems or alot of down time?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online