SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#178118 - 01/05/07 01:37 PM Re: Getting the gig?
Dnj Offline

Russ.....great post & opinions I love the read buddy.....I look at it this way.....
I come to see you perform or take my lady too what ever....we have a great time , listening, dancing, getting in to the performance because you provided and entertaining show that kept my attention in what ever way you can....then that is a successful show, an entertaining act, for a few hours the performer has took me away from reality and made my time together enjoyable...we're all happy when we leave and hope to return to do it again...if a performer does that he has done his job & so be it, heck I'd probably give you a Gumba hug too on the way out baby!!! Its a broad spectrum this Business we're in, I myself 35+ yrs...I loved it when I started & will always love it.......& I can see by reading your posts that we are in agreement big time .... keep it going Capt Russ your very much appreciated to many for sure!!!

Stay well my friend!!

#178119 - 01/07/07 11:05 PM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
How many of you have an agent?

Do you think they are worth the %

What do you think about taking someone
and just training them yourself to be your agent?

I just don't like the biz end... (I know what a cliche)
and I think the % might be worth it and make me
musically more productive.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

TP123

#178120 - 01/08/07 03:44 AM Re: Getting the gig?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
TP-

I've worked with and without agents. I strongly prefer to work without them. I would starve if I depended on them to provide me work. Most agencies want no part of "The Senior Circuit" (Nursing Homes, Senior Ctrs., etc.) because the dollars just aren't high enough.

I've dealt with two basic kinds of Agents over the 11 years or so.

*The smaller 1-2 man shops which are almost always run by other musicians who (naturally) take the best jobs for themselves and pass on the leftovers to everybody else. In the two largest of these type agencies, the main guy is also a piano player who has a band of his own. This kind of agency has never provided me any business to speak of.

*The larger "Coporate Feel" talent agencies. I've had some luck with these, but not that much. IMO, the amount of hassle and jumping through hoops vs. the payouts isn't worth it. Typically, these larger agencies have their favorites and to crack that inner circle is pretty tough. Also, there are no large agencies in the Dayton area, so for me to work with one out of Columbus or Cincy sets me up to do a lot of work out of town, which I don't really need right now.

...I did have a conversation an agent last year from a large agency. They had heard me at a local country club and were really interested in what I did. As complimentary as he was, he was very frank with me in that he said his company would rarely use a OMB because it skews all the money. His thinking is that if he started sending guys like me out on a string of high profile jobs or parties, word of mouth would spread and then his other, larger more expensive acts would see their work drop. Which would hurt his bottom line.

I also generally feel that agencies tend to overcharge or gouge clients often, which IMO, hurts the overall music scene...at least in an area like mine.

I guess I've always considered myself my own agent. Being able to work as a solo up to a quartet gives me lots of flexibility with my clients...So, I'd prefer to handle it myself as the main way of getting all my jobs...

Bill in Dayton

#178121 - 01/08/07 04:31 AM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DITTO!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#178122 - 01/09/07 09:48 PM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

Like Ringo sez...
"It don't come easy!"

Anyone who does use an agent with a
diff. POV?

Thanks very much,

TP123

#178123 - 01/09/07 10:38 PM Re: Getting the gig?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I don't use an agent...but I have one that uses me. It is a one-woman, licensed shop. She has me pigeon holed into a certain type of job and I have not been able to convince her that I am versatile enough for many other types of bookings.

On the pro-side: She asks me what I want for any job offered and has never balked at paying me the full amount I have asked for. She bills her client for her commission and I am paid in full by the client at the end of the job. It has never been a problem.

In return for her recommendation, I agree not to play that room, or for that client again for a period of one year, unless the booking goes through her. Again, not a problem. If the client asks about my availability for any future job, I hand them her business card.

Her fee on every job I have played for her is 20 percent, which the client pays in advance.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 01-09-2007).]

#178124 - 01/15/07 01:49 AM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

I just want to say THANK YOU to one
and all for one of the most informative
threads on here in awhile.
TP123

#178125 - 01/16/07 01:56 PM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

One last thing...

Does anyone else here still play the bars as a OMB?

#178126 - 01/16/07 02:12 PM Re: Getting the gig?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, sort of. I don't play smoky bars any more. The "bar" I play almost exclusively is in a high-end supper club, where there is a bar, but also tables where the patrons can eat.
Now Louisiana has a no-smoking law in restaurants. When they extend it to bars, I may play some again.
I know Semilive plays bars as OMB. He'll probably chime in.
DonM

#178127 - 01/16/07 02:54 PM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep! Still play in an Italian restaurant once in a while as an OMB. They took out the bar because the smokers drove the patrons out of the restaurant area. Now the place is non-smoking, the restaurant put tables in the place where the bar used to be, and the owner is no longer counting his losses--he just weighs his money from the restaurant biz cuz he can't count that high. On nights where there is music, every Thursday, he moves the tables to the side and creates a small dance-floor. Most of the time when the floor is packed with dancers.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online