SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#178108 - 12/27/06 06:39 PM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Eddie--NEVER use midi files for breaks. MP3s with vocals from well known artists are the way to go. Too many people come up to me and ask if I have this or that song in the machine. I politely tell them there are no songs in the machine-they're all in my head. And, if the song is not in my head I cannot play it for them. There has been times when I allow them to stand there and watch me perform the song they requested. At the end of the song they are often quite amazed that I'm really playing and singing the song and it's not Karaoke or a CD. If I had $5 for every time someone has come up to me and said "Wow, I just realized it was you singing and playing the songs." I could have retired 10 years ago.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#178109 - 01/01/07 06:11 PM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Thanks you guys... great stuff!

I agree and never walk away and that's why I make it a point of playing _a solo piano piece_ at some point early in the set. I was just wondering if anyone had some sort of good canned 2-3 sentences that explains MIDI and OMB well. Folks want to know about how we are able to play all the instruments at once.

Gary love that technique/idea!

Anyone else?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Tom

#178110 - 01/02/07 01:55 AM Re: Getting the gig?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have had the same problem with credibility. Sometimes I nudge the keyboard with the heel of my left hand while playing, to try and prove I'm really playing.

I never pretend to do anything, and hate having to prove anything, but that is where we're at.
Bernie

#178111 - 01/03/07 02:29 PM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

So the club owner sez;
"Why should I hire you musicians? You knock up my waitresses. Never pay your tab. Knock holes in the walls with your gear and never show up on time! I'll hire a DJ he'll play the hits and it'll sound just like the original"

How can one reason with someone like that?

#178112 - 01/03/07 09:11 PM Re: Getting the gig?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
...so I say, "I don't drink, so no tab. My wife won't let me knock up waitresses. My gear is worth WAY more than your wall, plus I have liability insurance. But the main thing: You've been hiring the wrong musicians."
DonM

#178113 - 01/04/07 06:15 PM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

Does anyone do mail outs and/or use brochures or demo CD's

Damn these 'promo kits' can really add up da $

THANKS to all for sharing your knowledge in this thread I really appreicate it.

Next time you come to Hawaii the first Mai Tai is on me! (but then again I'm a messy drinker!!)

#178114 - 01/04/07 06:38 PM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

The cost of my promo kits averages about $4 including postage. The secret to successful direct mail advertising is the follow-up phone calls and visits. Additionally, you should do some preliminary work as well, such as determining who the person is that does the hiring so you can send the package directly to that individual. This helps keep the package out of the junk mail category and directs it to the person who will do you the most good.

I do about 4 to 5 mailouts each year, and my success rate has been quite high. It's a continuing process, similar in many ways to any marketing venture. The product you're marketing in this case is YOU. I've always said the easiest part of this business is performing. The tough part is selling the job, followed by loading, unloading and driving to and from the jobs.

Good Luck Tom,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#178115 - 01/05/07 04:17 AM Re: Getting the gig?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I wonder how effective direct mail would be on a nightclub or bar or restaurant.

#178116 - 01/05/07 10:23 AM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Actually, it works pretty good. That's how I got my first niteclub job with a keyboard, however, as I pointed out, follow-ups are the key to success. In my case, it was a VFW that paid just $150 for four hours. The manager was a bit reluctant at first, so I offered to do a 1-hour job for free on a weeknight so both he and his partons could both hear and see me perform. I ended up working there for the next six years, playing every Friday night.

Also has several other respondants to the same mail-out within the next few weeks, but unfortunately, they wanted me for Friday nights as well and paid less money.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#178117 - 01/05/07 01:11 PM Re: Getting the gig?
Dnj Offline

Bottom line getting the gig is easy......

But if you aint got the "goods" you can forget repeat business for sure you only get the one shot baby!!

Give 150% when your performing in the end it WILL pay off for ya !

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online