SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10
Topic Options
#178128 - 01/16/07 06:02 PM Re: Getting the gig?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yes, I do OMB in bars. Real bars. Jukebox, pool table, a real bar. Resident badass, resident bar queen. Thick smoke. Which I hate. Louisiana passed a no smoking law? Really?

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com

#178129 - 01/16/07 06:12 PM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

The law only applies to restaurants--not bars. But, it's coming to a bar near you--eventually!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#178130 - 01/16/07 07:46 PM Re: Getting the gig?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Since the topic is "getting the gig", I feel compelled to rant just a bit.

Here in South Florida I am used to the seasonal nature of the work. This year, the calls came in a little later than usual. A lot of the "snowbirds" delayed their trek south making less demand at some of the higher end places I usually play earlier in the season. Even attendance at the animal and military clubs has seen a bit of a drop off and they are getting very price conscious.

Okay...we've had storms. Insurance has gone through the roof. Property values and taxes have taken a major jump, causing some to leave, but there is major building of homes in the $400K-500K bracket going up everywhere. Most are being bought by new transpants from up north.

I have had a couple of calls lately requesting information about my "DJ services". My gripe is that there appears to be less and less respect for the ability of talent that plays instruments live...even arrangers...or guitars all hooked up to midi.

There has also been a younger element of resident that has come to the market and, understandably, they are going to want the music of "their era". I can live with that.

I am not Bon Jovi, nor can I sing like Lionel Ritchie, Celine Dion, Earth,Wind & Fire..etc. But to survive and "get the gig" I will accept those kind of jobs and rely on MP3s. Nobody seems to care because that age group is so used to it. But, I draw the line at Karaoke.

In order to get the gigs now, if the subject of DJ comes up, I tell them I offer both live performance (single or duo with a girl singer) and DJ services. It's not the way I would like it to be. But it is survival and so far I have picked up several jobs that I would have turned down a year ago.

And...Donny (DNJ) before you say anything, I know you have already climbed this mountain and it is second nature to you. But, it is all new to me. Maybe I will come to like it.

The day may come that all I have to take to a gig is an Ipod and my Bose.

Eddie

#178131 - 01/16/07 07:57 PM Re: Getting the gig?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
And...Donny (DNJ) before you say anything, I know you have already climbed this mountain and it is second nature to you. But, it is all new to me. Maybe I will come to like it.Eddie

Eddie your doing good.....seasonal shouldn't be a deterrent.....tourists are one thing but there is always the locals who still have to have parties of all kinds eg: weddings, 50ths, birthdays, etc etc which have to have musical entertainment of some sort...plenty to go around...its just how much you want to aggressively seek & obtain it. Ive taught Gary a few tricks which is working beyond his dreams out there & there is no reason if you have the "GOODS" that "Getting the Gig" anywhere where people reside is not possible for the Professional OMB/DJ entertainer....& how you do it either Live, DJ, SMF, MP3 or a Mix of all are just tools of the trade in today's world....
Mix it up in Any combination & you'll be surprised at what turns up....Good Luck !!

#178132 - 01/17/07 06:35 AM Re: Getting the gig?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ive taught Gary a few tricks which is working beyond his dreams out there & there is no reason....

Come on Donny teach the rest of us these tricks!
I agree with your point, show BUSINESS. And I'd love to learn some more tricks of the trade.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-17-2007).]

#178133 - 01/17/07 06:47 AM Re: Getting the gig?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Bill, The law only applies to restaurants--not bars. But, it's coming to a bar near you--eventually!

I was being sarcastic, actually. I knew they passed a law but was implying I haven't noticed it and doubt that I will for a long time.

Live music in bars is dying and as much as I hate cig smoke, when they outlaw cigs in bars, seems that that could be the end. In Louisiana. Although, I read forums here and there and some have said it drops off and then picks back up. However, it's just one more nail in the coffin of regular live music in bars.

I can't forecast the future but I dunno, seems pretty bleak to me. The DWI roadblocks, I think, are greatly contributing to the demise of live music. I'm not advocating drinking and driving at all, just making a point. Now, it's what... 1.8 beers and you're legally drunk? I dunno, seems maybe they might have gone too far. But what do I know. One could take the stance that any alcohol in the blood is grounds for imprisonment, I suppose. But it doesn't bode well for live music since they kind of go hand in hand.

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com

#178134 - 01/17/07 09:43 AM Re: Getting the gig?
mikeathome1 Offline

I think thats the whole point the business is changing, and the younger generation has a different idea of entertainment. Most of us like to perform thats why we do what we do, but thanks to American Idol and others everybody wants to perform and how can we blame them.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-17-2007).]

#178135 - 01/19/07 05:57 AM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike,

What DNJ, Uncle Dave, Don Mason, Fran, and a host of others has provided me is the means to market my entertainment skills to a vast array of diverse audiences. DNJ and his wife Nancy provided me with their insight of utilizing direct mail, plus follow-up phone calls, and methods of reachig the right individuals to book the jobs. This, added to endless exchange of information on this and other similar forums has taken me from performing once a week to one a day and more. I'm no longer beating my brains out trying to puch out a half-dozen magazine and newspaper columns weekly--that has taken a back seat to the entertainment biz.

If my fingers were not shot to hell and I had more time I would type a long, informational post on this, but I think you get the general idea.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#178136 - 01/19/07 06:05 AM Re: Getting the gig?
mikeathome1 Offline

Gary you are right and I appreciate your reply. I also have learned a bunch from the guys you mentioned, and you have also helped in so many ways.
I'm always looking for that extra little tip, I'm just trying to keep up.
maybe there's an idea for an article on this subject
thanks again

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-19-2007).]

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online