SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#177709 - 01/29/03 04:54 PM This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA

Musikman4Christ........

#177710 - 01/29/03 05:01 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
does it come with styles?

#177711 - 01/30/03 05:37 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
There are several extensive posts here on the OpenLabs eKo keyboard. Scroll through the threads to see more.

#177712 - 01/30/03 06:37 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Mmm... a windows controlled pc in a keyboard, a spell for disaster I would think! Even so, it looks very impressive though starting at $2000 I guess you would spend quite a bit to get it up to full spec. It doesnt appear to be an arranger keyboard, though I suppose with its "open architecture" it could be... no ideas on sounds, or is it just a sample playback system? For me the immediatecy of a tyros or psr, being able to turn on and play would probably rule over this.. how long does it take to boot up? and I guess its quite a lump!

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#177713 - 01/30/03 07:30 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
George kay,

Are you planning to get this in your store?

#177714 - 01/30/03 07:44 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Simon,
Re: Your question on turn on and play. Their web site says, "Instant On: Unlike traditional computers that may take minutes to start up, eKo utilizes a unique process that allows the keyboard to start up in seconds."
Might need a second sound card to enable it to be an arranger keyboard. This customized keyboard would be a real synthesizer, arranger keyboard. Shows a lot of promise.
Starkeeper

#177715 - 01/30/03 06:33 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
I understand they are using hibernate mode for windows to get that instant start.. And for all those that own laptops, you know how well that works. I can't get my computer from going to blue screen of death once and a while, how do they?

Honestly I think it shows promise, but they aren't the first ones to tackle this, Dr. Moog tried this with Vancouvering, which failed.

#177716 - 01/31/03 07:56 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
rgtaa Offline

with everything getting smaller and faster and cheaper... it makes sense ... to have mini-computer hooked up to keyboard ... tons of styles, and with software... propellerhead's Reason, Acid, sonor, ect... all the soft synth and arranger guys should be happy!
Even if they keep all the regular arranger hardware in ... putting a cpu and mini screen should be possible ... considering my arranger has a computer hard drive in it already.... and LCD display ...
We could finally have same tech level for computer and arranger...
Arrangers seem to be 2 or 3 steps behind on Tech level compared to computers...
(small Rom and Ram ...processing speed ...ect!)

#177717 - 02/06/03 12:33 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Isn't the top-end Wersi keyboard based on Win98?

Whilst I agree that in general the PC is not that reliable, the usual reason is down to driver and software incompatabilities; for example graphics card manufacturers test their stuff on their own "reference platform" and so do the sound card makers but the two are probably not the same!)(so maybe we should all buy Creative Labs Sound and Graphics cards only?!?!?). In writing drivers for this synth the situation is much more controlled; all the hardware is known and not likely to change. Therefore it is feasible that they have found and fixed the gotcha's. This system should be more reliable than a standard PC.

You can make an analogy with Mac's. The Mac is usually more reliable that the PC because Apple control the hardware much more tightly and so there are less variables to worry about.

And folks, lets not use this post to fire up a "PC" versus "Mac" argument! They are different and thus have strengths and weaknessess that therefore appeal to differnt people and applications!

#177718 - 02/06/03 05:37 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Roel Offline

It's a good quality video indeed, but we did not hear more than 10 (poor) notes from the synth.

In fact it is 'just' a masterkeyboard connected with MIDI to a standard PC configuration and some other MIDI-controller devices ..... or am I wrong ?

It is not an arranger keyboard.
What software is included ?

Some personal reasons for NOT wanting such a machine on stage :
a. Huge dimensions
b. Heavy
c. Mouse-touchpad .... I hate them !
d. Windows-interface
e. QUERTY keyboard
f. Soft-synths are not free of charges !
g. What is the use of having an UPS while the PA-system is 'dead' because of power-loss ?

I consider the EKO to be a PC and almost every PC is able to handle 24 bits/96kHz with the correct soundcard inserted.

I'm not too impressed, like others.

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 02-06-2003).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online