SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177288 - 11/10/02 09:32 PM I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Just realized I never told you cats what I did after all the questions on speakers and amplification.

I got the JBL 10G2 Eons. And they sound great. At 23 lbs, I kind of chuckle every time I need to move them. I did get lucky on e-bay again. I happened to see a pair listed, and realized this guy didn't know how to sell on e-bay. I've bought and sold a number of things, and this guys auction had about ten things wrong with it. It could have been a chapter in a book for dummies on the top 10 things not to do on e-bay.

First, he didn't even have it listed in the correct spot! If I typed in JBL Eons, they wouldn't even show up! I stumbled onto them somehow through another channel. He wouldn't answer e-mails, there was really no desciption, just a phone number to call, (most people will not call). I did call, and found out they were less than a year old and he just didn't need them any more.

The openning bid was for $550, and because of his scew up I was the only bidder. So for $550 I got two JBL's and an extra xlr cord. No frieght charges.

I looked at this and I said this was meant for me, and it worked. New ones go for about this price ($450 to $550 ) apiece.
So for 50 cents on the dollar and 23 lbs per speaker, along with great sound, I am truly one happy camper.

Thanx to everyone for their input on this one, especially Uncle Dave , and The Pro who made me believe 10" speakers really could do the job, and they certainly can.

Scott Langholff

#177289 - 11/11/02 06:32 AM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Scott:
Great Buy! I just got the G2s 15s and love them as well, but they set me back $1260 on what I tought was a great buy. They also weight 43lb each, they are certainly keeping me fit, but worth it the "monster sound", I can turn into a full fledge "DJ" in a jiffy.
Congratultions!
Mario

#177290 - 11/11/02 07:37 AM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Same here. I got a pair of the EON15 G2, and yes, it set me back $1200 even! They pumped a lot more volume compare to the 10 series but then also heavier. Recently, I purchase two of the GPA700 Rolling Speaker Bag and I think Gator designed these just for the EON or something! It fit perfectly and have enough room for the speaker cables. Moving these thing around is a breeze now. Oh, the Gator bag have sturdy handles all around and so two persons can easily pick up the bag and make a run (in case you're in a rush!)

..rb

#177291 - 11/11/02 12:18 PM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,

Hello

I think for me the 10" will probably take care of most of my gigs. However, if I feel I should need more for very large halls or outside, I think I would definately get the JBL 15G2 Eon, OR the Barbetta Sona 32C (it weighs only 36.5 lbs and has about the same power specs as the JBL, and about the same price, also they take up less room. Only problem is no one around here has the Barbettas. Has anyone tried both the JBL 15 and the Barbetta? If so how do you think they compared.

Another alternative I think I could do if I am in that kind of situation might be to add my Peavey KB300 keyboard amp to the JBL 10". It has a 15" and a horn, although I wasn't all that happy with my Peavey by itself as far as sound. And it weighs a ton. I have to roll it end over end up and down the steps where I live in a 2nd story apartment.
Thanx for input.

Scott Langholff

#177292 - 11/11/02 12:25 PM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,

Hi Mario, rhumba

Just out of curiosity, since I haven't yet had a chance to try the JBL 15, besides having more volume which I would expect, how does the sound and tone compare between the 10's and the 15's?

Sound and tone of the G210 is awesome. There is a lot of bass here plus an excellent full range coverage it seems to me.

So between the new technology of the 10G2's and the fact that Yamaha must have figured most people would be playing the PSR2000 through no or small speakers, so that this keyboard also really pumps out the bass it seems to me, especially compared to my KN1000 for example.

Scott

#177293 - 11/11/02 02:07 PM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Scott:
I had the oportunitiy to test side to side the G215s against the Barbettas Sona 32C and thought the G2s deliver less "boomyness" than the Sonas, but I was in the store, which is not the best testing enviroment. Both sets are great for big jobs and in such an enviroment I feel the boomyness would disappear. I also heard Donny Pesce perform live with the sonas and they sounded great. Cost wise, the Sonas are a little more expensive than the G2s. Look wise I like the G2s and did not particularly care for the Sonas.
At any rate, I think the G210s will cover most situations for you, and according to Scottyee they are the set to own.
By the way, I have yet to set the volume on my G215s by more than 20% at a 300 people gig. This "puppies" are awesome!
Mario

#177294 - 11/11/02 02:40 PM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Scott,
I compared the 10's and the 15's side by side at the store. We had the CD player going, then set the tone on both the 10's and the 15's to be about the same. After that, I just plug/unplug the audio cable between the two pairs. The 15s clearly stood out with both volume and bass. So far, I hadn't got a chance to use the full volume yet - I guess the 15s were more than what I need?

..rb

#177295 - 11/11/02 02:52 PM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I had the earlier JBL 10's and they did about 70% of my small to medium jobs. For larger crowds, I added a small bass amp and a crossover - that was all I needed. The bi-amping improved the overall sound, added the neccisary headroom and volume, and made loading the van a snap. Three small, light pieces instead of two large, heavy ones.

That way - for tiny jobs...it's was ONE JBL. For larger .... TWO JBL's ..... for the big time - add the bass amp.

Your KB300 can certainly add the fullness, but at what cost? It's HUGE, and VERY heavy.
They are loud as hell, but you need strong shoulders to carry 'em.

As an alternative to the bass amp, try this:
Get a stereo qraphic EQ and run each side into a JBL. Keep one speaker on the floor (near a corner, if possible) and EQ for more bass, and roll OFF the hights a bit. Put the other speaker up on a pole and EQ that one for more highs, aND ROLL off THE BASS A BIT.
(damn caps lok!)

This will made them more efficient, and still give you wide coverage from two locations. An active crossover is best, but this is a good "fix" at a bargain price.

#177296 - 11/11/02 06:34 PM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the EON15G2 with the EVSxA100? They seem to be in the same catagory and exact same weight.

Glenn

#177297 - 11/11/02 07:27 PM Re: I got the JBL Eons 10 G2, Thanks to Uncle Dave, The Pro, etc.,
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Even if the JBL puts out a little more bass (which, it SHOULD)the awkward size & shape of the cabinet rules it out for me. I remember stacking the small ones (10's) on my Rock & Roller cart, and it was a pain to get them to stay solid. The 15's are much larger, and I know they would waste too much room in a rig like mine.

My entire setup fits on one hand truck, for a single trip to any location. That way - I never have to worry about parking. I just park wherever, and roll in to the stage.

In all fairness, the JBL's will produce a louder, bassier sound than the EV's .... but it's not an earth shattering difference. The extra size and weird shape makes the difference smaller, yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online